06-30-2015 12:52 PM
2,029 ... 6566676869 ...
tools
    Not sure if anyone noticed that the Verizon changed their simulators to show screen shots of Lollipop for the Droid Turbo Droid Turbo by Motorola Simulator Support | Verizon Wireless.
    djrev95 and Ry like this.
    06-12-2015 12:54 PM
    Not sure if anyone noticed that the Verizon changed their simulators to show screen shots of Lollipop for the Droid Turbo Droid Turbo by Motorola Simulator Support | Verizon Wireless.
    It says "Last Modified: 6/11/2015 to Android 5.1" under the User Guide link.
    Ry likes this.
    06-12-2015 01:01 PM
    It says "Last Modified: 6/11/2015 to Android 5.1" under the User Guide link.
    I'd be surprised if we didn't get the update before the end of the month.
    TechCaptain and Davidoo like this.
    06-12-2015 01:33 PM
    *to be fair 5,000 people on Google + is a lot of people when you consider how many people are actually using Google +
    No, it's a high PROPORTION of the sample population you're talking about, which is very different from "a lot of people". Let us tech-heads be technically correct when we discuss this information, people!

Posted via the Android Central App
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-12-2015 02:24 PM
    The response. *Something* happened yesterday to force them to comment.
    Yes it did, the tech sites were reblogging the June 10 date to generate clicks, and some people were taking it as fact or unofficially official. When the day came those people posted angry comments in the comments sections of those sites. Rather than leaving people believe that Motorola screwed them over, he posted that people were taking rumors as the truth and decided to give us an official update on the matter. I'd say he was worried about all the tech sites spreading the misinformation. Nearly every tech site out there was running stories with the June 10th information. And on the 10th it was stirring up a lot of negative commentary, even though it was actually a smaller number of people posting a lot. Hell, look at what happened in just this thread. Before the June 10th date was announced, there was maybe about 2-5/posts a day average. After the date was announced, and especially from June 10th on, it's increased by about 5 times that amount. So rather than let it spiral out of control, he decided to try and quell the anger and set the record straight.

The reason I have said that this is a limited number of people is that out of the big Android OEMS, Motorola towards the bottom in terms of marketshare, then you limit it to a phone only available in the US, and then you limit it to a phone that is exclusive to only one carrier in the US. That's whittling the number of people down quite a bit, even if 100% of the Turbo owners were fully informed and impatient for the update. Say we're generous and cut that in half so that 50% of people were informed about the situation. So do you see where I'm coming from now? I also base this on my family, I've got about 40 people in mine (siblings, their spouses, and children, etc). Out of that there are about 15 who are into tech, and out of those 15 there's maybe three including myself that actually follow this enough to know about updates and such. I'm not saying that's going to be true for entire country, but I'd bet it's closer to my situation than to say half of the people are that invested. Now maybe 20-30 years from now, it'll be more like you say, but not at this point.
    dungoyle likes this.
    06-12-2015 02:45 PM
    Yes it did, the tech sites were reblogging the June 10 date to generate clicks, and some people were taking it as fact or unofficially official. When the day came those people posted angry comments in the comments sections of those sites. Rather than leaving people believe that Motorola screwed them over, he posted that people were taking rumors as the truth and decided to give us an official update on the matter.
    I would hardly call what he posted an update. Just the same useless info that tells us nothing. How long will it take to get from the lab to a soak? Now that would be an update. He might just as well have said "soon." I found it insulting. I would like to have a job with no deadlines or pressure to serve your customers. Not sure how this can go on for going on 8 months.
    berserker and KPMcClave like this.
    06-12-2015 05:22 PM
    I would hardly call what he posted an update. Just the same useless info that tells us nothing. How long will it take to get from the lab to a soak? Now that would be an update. He might just as well have said "soon." I found it insulting. I would like to have a job with no deadlines or pressure to serve your customers. Not sure how this can go on for going on 8 months.
    So in other words, he's not giving us an update unless there's a timetable? Just because we dont know their deadline doesn't mean there isn't one, and as far as the pressure on them, I would say it's pretty significant. But I would say they also recognize that if they rush out a buggy update that it would make the situation 10 times worse. Any timetable they give is meaningless, because even if they wait until they believe it's ready to rollout, they still have Verizon to get past, and they don't even give us anything like what Motorola has in terms of keeping us in the loop. Ask a Verizon CSR for info and they'll most likely have nothing to say until the day they're pushing it. If they do give you anything, they most likely pulled it out of their rear in an effort to get you off the phone. The last issue I had with Verizon was with my Network Extender. They told me in early March that the update would go out middle of April. I called about it last week since I hadn't gotten it yet, and I was told they had no record of any such update. So would you rather they pull a timetable out of thin air and then repeatedly miss their mark, or do what they're doing now? I'd be a lot more angry if they constantly kept missing their date and pushing it back.

I've owned devices that took so long to get updates that I had already moved on to the next one before they got it, and I've never seen this level of frenzy over an update before. I'm talking about updates came a full year after it was released. And that wasn't that long ago either.

But like I've said before, Lollipop has been more problematic than any previous version of Android. The last 2 versions, Jellybean and KitKat were both built off of Ice Cream Sandwich. Lollipop is the first big overhaul since ICS, and even then it didn't change as much from Gingerbread as Lollipop changes from KitKat. The fact that the Nexus line is lagging behind as well proves that. My Nexus 7 didn't see LP until December, and didn't see 5.1 until a month after it was released, and that's a fully stock version. Motorola's version is close to stock but it's still modified.

The other OEMS that have updated to Lollipop pushed are on versions that were released 3-4 months prior. Android 5.1 was released in March, 3 months ago, and so far none of the other OEMS have a phone updated to it yet either. They're all still on a 5.0.x build, and the initial builds came out in October to December of 2014. The problem is by skipping those builds and going straight to 5.1, their release got pushed back further.
    06-12-2015 06:16 PM
    My guess is that Verizon has long determined that they sell smartphones mostly on features, sometimes on brand, but rarely on which specific version of the Android OS it is running. We know that they are actively working on the update. It will come when Verizon and Motorola think it's ready and are ready to support it.
    I agree, went into T-Mobile last weekend and asked what version of lollipop a phone was on and he couldn't even answer. I know its a busy store, I bet I'm the first to ask this question.

06-12-2015 07:37 PM
    Why did Motorola post something? Have you been on Motorola's twitter or Instagram? People act as if Motorola said the 10th, and Motorola was trying to address all of the negative comments.

KPMcClave likes this.
    06-12-2015 07:41 PM
    So in other words, he's not giving us an update unless there's a timetable? Just because we dont know their deadline doesn't mean there isn't one, and as far as the pressure on them, I would say it's pretty significant.
    That is definitely my feeling. What "update" were we actually provided? "It's not ready yet and we don't know when it will be" isn't updating anything. Funny how Microsoft used to be so much maligned and now they seem to be the stars because they are actually telling you when you will get an update. What a concept in customer service....letting people know what is happening. The mumbo jumbo and technical terms that don't really say anything like being in the "test lab" is extremely lame and insulting to customers who forked over 700 hard earned dollars for a flagship phone that is completely unsupported and all we are told is lies. A few weeks ago it "was with our partners" now it is in a lab. I call BS. There is something major wrong with the hardware or compatability. How about just being truthful. No way would they just let this go on and on if there weren't some major issue.
    06-12-2015 08:44 PM
    We'll want to check this out (preview of L running on Turbo, Verizon webpage):

http://a.mynews.ly/!ED.Ck98k

06-12-2015 09:09 PM
    We'll want to check this out (preview of L running on Turbo, Verizon webpage):

http://a.mynews.ly/!ED.Ck98k

The app icon that opens to view all apps will no longer be clear but white? Also, the settings menus change to white instead of black?

I want an option to go back to black or they can keep Lollipop. I can't stand bright white backgrounds and its annoying my dialer is white. Don't add white to my home screen at all!
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-12-2015 09:47 PM
    The app icon that opens to view all apps will no longer be clear but white? Also, the settings menus change to white instead of black?

I want an option to go back to black or they can keep Lollipop. I can't stand bright white backgrounds and its annoying my dialer is white. Don't add white to my home screen at all!
    Yet another reason why I personally could wait for M (will have a black theme)...

KPMcClave likes this.
    06-12-2015 10:02 PM
    I'm done I'm jumping ship from the Turbo. As someone who has owned a lot of phones including ones with Lollipop I'm tired of waiting. Some people may say its just a software update, but the future updates after the upcoming one doesn't look bright. I can't see many more updates coming to this thing in the future

06-12-2015 10:11 PM
    Just a little surprised the z3 got the update before us. If you are slower then Sony, it makes me wonder what the issue is.

06-12-2015 10:19 PM
    That is definitely my feeling. What "update" were we actually provided? "It's not ready yet and we don't know when it will be" isn't updating anything. Funny how Microsoft used to be so much maligned and now they seem to be the stars because they are actually telling you when you will get an update. What a concept in customer service....letting people know what is happening. The mumbo jumbo and technical terms that don't really say anything like being in the "test lab" is extremely lame and insulting to customers who forked over 700 hard earned dollars for a flagship phone that is completely unsupported and all we are told is lies. A few weeks ago it "was with our partners" now it is in a lab. I call BS. There is something major wrong with the hardware or compatability. How about just being truthful. No way would they just let this go on and on if there weren't some major issue.
    "What "update" were we actually provided?" That they're testing it. Testing is one of the stages it has to go through and they just let us know that it's in that stage.
    "It's not ready yet and we don't know when it will be" They're testing it, how can they possibly know how long it will take to be ready? If they knew that, then they would have to know exactly how long testing will take. To know exactly how long testing will take, they would have to know, before they started testing, what parts will pass testing and what will fail. If they knew that then they wouldn't need to test.
    "What a concept in customer service....letting people know what is happening" That's exactly what they did. What is happening is that they are testing.
    "The mumbo jumbo and technical terms that don't really say anything like being in the "test lab" is extremely lame" What exactly would you like them to say? They're telling you what they're doing.
    "a flagship phone that is completely unsupported" I got an update near the beginning of having the phone that increased shutter speed and made the pictures i took a bit better. I got an update that enabled Advanced calling which, for me, is a lot clearer than standard calling. I'm not sure how that is "completely unsupported"
    "and all we are told is lies." What lies? I haven't heard any yet.
    "There is something major wrong with the hardware or compatability." That's quite obvious. That's why it's being tested. To find out and fix whatever is wrong.

They're working on it. Maybe you want an update that is half baked and will gimp your phone, but most people don't want that and neither Moto nor Verizon want to push an update that will gimp our phones. They're giving us relevant updates. Just because a few people are asking for more sensationalized updates doesn't mean there is actually any other info to give out.
    nwcollins likes this.
    06-12-2015 10:30 PM
    Why did Motorola post something? Have you been on Motorola's twitter or Instagram? People act as if Motorola said the 10th, and Motorola was trying to address all of the negative comments.

Exactly.
    TurboHope likes this.
    06-12-2015 11:24 PM
    Yet another reason why I personally could wait for M (will have a black theme)...

It might anyway. We can hope it sticks. It's in the developer options in the M preview.
    06-12-2015 11:28 PM
    "What "update" were we actually provided?" That they're testing it. Testing is one of the stages it has to go through and they just let us know that it's in that stage.
    "It's not ready yet and we don't know when it will be" They're testing it, how can they possibly know how long it will take to be ready? If they knew that, then they would have to know exactly how long testing will take. To know exactly how long testing will take, they would have to know, before they started testing, what parts will pass testing and what will fail. If they knew that then they wouldn't need to test.
    "What a concept in customer service....letting people know what is happening" That's exactly what they did. What is happening is that they are testing.
    "The mumbo jumbo and technical terms that don't really say anything like being in the "test lab" is extremely lame" What exactly would you like them to say? They're telling you what they're doing.
    "a flagship phone that is completely unsupported" I got an update near the beginning of having the phone that increased shutter speed and made the pictures i took a bit better. I got an update that enabled Advanced calling which, for me, is a lot clearer than standard calling. I'm not sure how that is "completely unsupported"
    "and all we are told is lies." What lies? I haven't heard any yet.
    "There is something major wrong with the hardware or compatability." That's quite obvious. That's why it's being tested. To find out and fix whatever is wrong.

They're working on it. Maybe you want an update that is half baked and will gimp your phone, but most people don't want that and neither Moto nor Verizon want to push an update that will gimp our phones. They're giving us relevant updates. Just because a few people are asking for more sensationalized updates doesn't mean there is actually any other info to give out.
    I respect your opinion, I just think you are giving them way too much credit. I think everything he said in the update was a lie, just like all major corporations do when something goes wrong. A few weeks ago it was "in our partners hands" now it is in a "test lab." Here's what I think happened. The 5.1 update was supposed to be this week, just as David Ruddock stated in his Twitter account. This is also consistent with the VZW website and demo pages for the Turbo showing it with 5.1. It is not a coincidence that all this happened when Mr. Ruddock said it would. Something went very wrong, so to calm the masses an "update" in corporate communications speak was released saying it is in a "test lab" and it is going very well. Trust me, when you hear a company say this the one thing you can believe is that it is not going well. Hence my reason for saying we are being lied to.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-12-2015 11:49 PM
    I respect your opinion, I just think you are giving them way too much credit. I think everything he said in the update was a lie, just like all major corporations do when something goes wrong. A few weeks ago it was "in our partners hands" now it is in a "test lab." Here's what I think happened. The 5.1 update was supposed to be this week, just as David Ruddock stated in his Twitter account. This is also consistent with the VZW website and demo pages for the Turbo showing it with 5.1. It is not a coincidence that all this happened when Mr. Ruddock said it would. Something went very wrong, so to calm the masses an "update" in corporate communications speak was released saying it is in a "test lab" and it is going very well. Trust me, when you hear a company say this the one thing you can believe is that it is not going well. Hence my reason for saying we are being lied to.
    Here's the thing. The process has been mentioned before by several carriers and OEMs. Part of the process is the OEM tests it, if it passes their test, they send it to the carriers. The carriers test it and if everything is ok it gets pushed, if not it goes back to the OEM to be fixed. So if a few weeks ago it was in their partners hands, and now its in their test lab, and they've already told us that the process is the carriers test it and if it fails it goes back to the OEM, what more do you need them to say? How are they lying?

Edit:This is also why they can't give us a date. Something might(and often does) go wrong during testing.
    06-12-2015 11:57 PM
    They told us what they were doing, that was the update. You call BS that it was with their hardware partners a week ago and now it's in the lab. They send their update to Verizon, and Verizon sends it back with changes to be made. That happens all the time, especually with Verizon. They're well known for dragging out updates due to their "stringent quality testing".

And yes, if they had said " it's not ready and we don't when it will be" is an update. An update is any more information. The update was that all the BS being floated by the tech blogs was just that, BS.

And how is this phone completely unsupported? Have we gotten no updates for it since it launched? I would say we've probably gotten as many updates in the same timeframe as any other Verizon device. How many updates has the M9 or the S5 gotten in the first 8 months it was around? Because the Turbo has gotten at least 2.
    06-13-2015 12:06 AM
    The truth is NOBODY - NOT ONE of us - know the full status their schedule for delivery. All personal beliefs are based on anecdotal snippets of varying trustworthiness. I have NO IDEA when I'll get the update, but since I believe 100% that I'll get it - when they feel it's ready (and not before) - I'm not worried, especially since mine runs like a champ right now. Yeah, I'm as curious as anyone else, but my other two phones have L ... maybe that's why I'm not upset (it wasn't a step forward FOR ME as far as how I use my phones).

KPMcClave likes this.
    06-13-2015 01:03 AM
    I'm sorry. I love the drama of this never ending thread. People going in circles...

Honestly, I've read a lot about lollipop, and there's only the new notification pane that I'm exited about...

Which isn't to say that ART or the flashlight toggle aren't cool. Whatever you want man... But is it worth this much debate?

Maybe I'm an odd duck here. I have no problems with this phone. With the recent moto camera update (genius that they're doing that as an app update and not part of an ota), this phone is already almost perfect. Of course, that's all subjective.

So, those of you in an uproar, please name me ONE thing that my turbo on kit kat can't do compared to a nexus 6 with lollipop (besides cosmetic changes), that affect me as an end user.

That is to say, ART vs. Dalvik, I don't care. I can run the same apps on either runtime.

Flashlight toggle? You know there's an app for that?

Please inform me what the rush is. What exactly I'm missing out on. Because I've gotten crappy updates before (on a galaxy nexus, S4) that have significantly deteriorated functionality for cosmetic changes.

06-13-2015 01:45 AM
    tvouge, I also have a well running Turbo with no problems at all. My beef is that I am an IT geek and early adapter. I bought the Turbo with the "promise" of being "upgradeable" to L and overall quick updates due to it being a flagship and a "Droid." None of that has been true....my fault for listening to the store sales person, I know. Now I sit and see every other phone introduced getting some version of L and we get lame, vague info. My son's 2.5 year old GS4 runs perfectly on 5.02. Not buggy at all. What is it about the Turbo that is making this so hard? It can't just be AC because there are others out with AC and L, such as the GS6. Now that this is back in the "lab test" it realistically could be weeks before we get 5.1 unless it was something very minor and will be sent for a soak "soon." By that time we will be going on 9 or 10 months with a device "upgradeable" to L but not having it. I don't think that is reasonable...my opinion.
    06-13-2015 08:04 AM
    I think this is a case of a lot of people clamoring for an information update from Moto or VZW and not liking what they heard. It's a beautiful Saturday in Arizona so I think I shall take my well working Turbo and go forth to enjoy my day off from work. Sigh.
    Tim Bell1, hub1 and Ry like this.
    06-13-2015 09:43 AM
2,029 ... 6566676869 ...