06-30-2015 12:52 PM
2,029 ... 6869707172 ...
tools
    As for the other issues you're having, they are baked into the ROM. If they made those services modular, sure they could update them independently through the play store, but they're not. But even a few years ago, the camera app for a phone was baked into the ROM. Its a good move by manufacturer's to modulate system apps so they can solve problems without a massive update or OTA.

Posted via the Android Central App
    They seem to be doing this a lot more for some stuff on my old One M7. It's a great way to fix issues without having to wait for a new ROM. Hopefully it will expand to other devices like the Turbo.

Are there any disadvantages in doing updates that way?

06-14-2015 07:54 PM
    Sorry guys, my freakn app indicated it failed with the post, I I thought it didn't work. After 3-4 times I gave up. I guess it worked, despite the error in posting.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    This site is having a lot of issues over the last few days. I get screen freezes, duplicate posts and Internet Explorer has stopped working errors often.
    06-14-2015 07:58 PM
    They seem to be doing this a lot more for some stuff on my old One M7. It's a great way to fix issues without having to wait for a new ROM. Hopefully it will expand to other devices like the Turbo.

Are there any disadvantages in doing updates that way?

None that I can think of.

06-15-2015 01:54 AM
    As I recall, Motorola pioneered this, starting with the 2013 Moto X and Droids (camera, touchless control, assist, and a bunch of other services) before HTC did. Look in your play store installed apps - you'll see a bunch of Motorola apps there.

Even Google is trying to design android so that they can deliver more updates, particularly for vulnerable services, through the play store.
    06-15-2015 07:03 AM
    Good luck with the S6. Hope you really enjoy it. Are you gonna have to change your handle to S6Hope now?

I guess i kind of have to! To be honest i would have bought another turbo if sprint offered it. Great phone. And because this is sll about LP, i am happy to report my Edge is running on 5.0.2, and it world perfectly, also my wifes new note 4 is also flawless on LP

Formerly droidhope, now Edgehope...
    06-15-2015 09:07 AM
    Yes Ry, I understand you are correct by strict interpretation of the actual words, but I think any reasonable person would have expected it before 8 months has passed. In reality for most having a 2 year contract we are about 30% through the contract already with the "coming soon" update not arriving. Not reasonable in my opinion. If I'm being unreasonable, tell me what you think is reasonable before you would agree they have not lived up to what they said and what should be expected? There is the same argument going on in the VZW support forums with a Verizon employee on there stating they never really have to upgrade the Turbo because the "definition" of the word "soon" means anytime between this moment and the "end of time." Hopefully we won't have to wait that long.
    They reset in late Feb to use 5.1 instead of 5.0. 8 months is somewhat inaccurate.

Even still, you can't miss a date if a date was never set.
    06-15-2015 12:15 PM
    Hey...given this news (see link), I wonder if it's too late for Verizon to follow suit with the Turbo? I would think they're too far along, though...

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/ArticleWeb.aspx?regionid=1&articleid=43365988

06-15-2015 05:25 PM
    The camera update was through the Google Play store a few weeks ago. It was tested by some and found the shutter lag was reduced significantly by the update.
    The manual exposure control was a nice touch for the camera also.
    06-15-2015 05:48 PM
    Did you see verizon added a droid turbo lp sim on their site, heres a link to the article that mentioned it.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/06/mot...tested-online/

06-15-2015 09:32 PM
    Did you see verizon added a droid turbo lp sim on their site, heres a link to the article that mentioned it.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/06/mot...tested-online/

Yeah...so I figure we will probably get it, but the G3 forgoing it sure raised an interesting possibility (however unlikely). But it would be nice if they could break out that theme function from M and have it as a separate download we could add to L, keeping the dark menus!

In any case, I wonder if we'll start seeing any OTA's for L this coming week...

06-15-2015 10:25 PM
    Yeah...so I figure we will probably get it, but the G3 forgoing it sure raised an interesting possibility (however unlikely). But it would be nice if they could break out that theme function from M and have it as a separate download we could add to L, keeping the dark menus!
    I suppose that anything is possible, but Motorola has kept close to stock android and don't typically do things like that. I'd count on the build looking just like the online simulator.
    However, since Google hasn't released any code for the M build (just downloadable binaries), there is nothing for Motorola to break out. So, there is no chance it will happen.

There is also no chance that they will skip 5.1. LG is talking about a phone that is a generation older than the latest model, and already has Lollipop.
    06-16-2015 04:51 AM
    Despite the 1741 posts, I think I might have a novel thought to consider... What if they are delaying so much because they simply can't get a good lollipop build to work well on the Turbo? Something just didn't work well, whether it's a bad signal, or bad battery life, and they just can't seem to fix it...? Frankly, we've gotten past the point of "normal" os upgrade delays, to the point where I'm worried there is something inherent to the droid turbo ecosystem that prevents us from having a good build. And that means that soon, they will give up, and we'll end up with a sub par phon upgrade to lollipop with a brand new set of bugs to complain about. Hmmmmmmm....
    mrtonk and Wiseblood like this.
    06-16-2015 01:39 PM
    Despite the 1741 posts, I think I might have a novel thought to consider... What if they are delaying so much because they simply can't get a good lollipop build to work well on the Turbo? Something just didn't work well, whether it's a bad signal, or bad battery life, and they just can't seem to fix it...? Frankly, we've gotten past the point of "normal" os upgrade delays, to the point where I'm worried there is something inherent to the droid turbo ecosystem that prevents us from having a good build. And that means that soon, they will give up, and we'll end up with a sub par phon upgrade to lollipop with a brand new set of bugs to complain about. Hmmmmmmm....
    I wouldn't put too much into that, since the Turbo is pretty much a Nexus 6 Mini with some Verizon bloat. If the Nexus can run it, so can the Turbo.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    06-16-2015 01:54 PM
    It's the capacitive buttons vs on screen buttons.... Just effed up everything!
    06-16-2015 02:00 PM
    It's the capacitive buttons vs on screen buttons.... Just effed up everything!
    +1. This was even brought up when the phone was announced. There were a few people on this site that said there is going to be issue with LP because of the buttons. Darn buttons
    06-16-2015 02:25 PM
    I was really just joking but I guess it could be a possibility?

It could just as easily be an issue of manpower or lack thereof? Maybe VoLTE even?
    06-16-2015 02:41 PM
    I wouldn't put too much into that, since the Turbo is pretty much a Nexus 6 Mini with some Verizon bloat. If the Nexus can run it, so can the Turbo.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    I thought the Turbo was basically a Moto X 2nd gen. with a souped up battery and processor, no?

Either way, your point is well taken.
    06-16-2015 02:44 PM
    I thought the Turbo was basically a Moto X 2nd gen. with a souped up battery and processor, no?
    No, it's really closer to a Nexus 6 with a different camera and capacitive buttons (the screen is physically smaller but has the same resolution). The Moto X is a lower level system on a chip, lower resolution display, 2 GB RAM; the Moto X and Nexus 6 have the same camera, too.
    06-16-2015 03:20 PM
    I was really just joking but I guess it could be a possibility?

It could just as easily be an issue of manpower or lack thereof? Maybe VoLTE even?
    Doubtful, im using a phone with built-in buttons running 5.0.2. I would go with the manpower issue being most likely.

06-16-2015 03:48 PM
    +1. This was even brought up when the phone was announced. There were a few people on this site that said there is going to be issue with LP because of the buttons. Darn buttons
    Maybe...although it works fine on my old One M7 (but maybe the Turbo has "complicating" issues).

06-16-2015 06:31 PM
    Wow it's been a day since anyone's posted anything

06-17-2015 08:50 PM

Thanks for being "that guy"
    Ry, gemery#CB and thatguy97 like this.
    06-17-2015 09:02 PM
    That's because we're all enjoying our 5.1 lollipop update
    06-17-2015 09:28 PM
    I just had a thought here, does anyone think that perhaps the reason for the holdup on pushing out LP to the Turbo has to do with Verizon's Advance Calling update not playing well with the baked in VoLTE capabilities in LP? IIRC none of the devices on Verizon that have the Advance Calling update also have 5.1, which is the version of LP that has VoLTE baked in. Any phones that do have Advance Calling are on 5.0.2 or earlier, builds that don't have VoLTE capability. The 2014 Moto X has LP but doesn't have AC, so maybe that is the reason for the delay. I mean we are looking for a reason that affects the Turbo and not other devices. Perhaps if they had simply updated the Turbo to 5.0.2 and had the AC update there wouldn't have been an issue (or as big of one).

I'm thinking they (Verizon & Motorola) thought it'd be better to wait for for 5.1 to take advantage of having VoLTE baked in to go along with their AC update, possibly because there were some issues with AC and the 5.0.X builds, but when they started working on the 5.1 builds, they found a more serious issue with AC and 5.1, and they've been problems trying to make the two work together. Just a thought.
    06-17-2015 09:36 PM
    I'm thinking they (Verizon & Motorola) thought it'd be better to wait for for 5.1 to take advantage of having VoLTE baked in to go along with their AC update, possibly because there were some issues with AC and the 5.0.X builds, but when they started working on the 5.1 builds, they found a more serious issue with AC and 5.1, and they've been problems trying to make the two work together. Just a thought.
    Good thought, but the Verizon Nexus 6 has 5.1 and VoLTE. And we know that the Turbo is almost the same device.
    06-17-2015 09:54 PM
2,029 ... 6869707172 ...