06-30-2015 01:52 PM
2,029 ... 6970717273 ...
tools
    More likely that there's one new piece of Verizon bloat that's not playing nice and rather than leave it off and give us 5.1, Big Red is working diligently to figure out how to make it work.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    06-17-2015 10:59 PM
    More likely that there's one new piece of Verizon bloat that's not playing nice and rather than leave it off and give us 5.1, Big Red is working diligently to figure out how to make it work.

Maybe.

Honestly, this is all speculation, but maybe since Moto is no longer under the Google umbrella (read, cash to burn) their priorities are on the product lines that make them the most money. This fits well with reality, as most of their solo products are already on some version of lollipop. Moto X, G... Nexus 6.

It does suck for us, as the end users, but it makes sense to me that they would focus their now more limited resources on projects that have the most impact on their bottom lines. The Turbo is mostly a Verizon product, outsourced to Moto. Yes there are variants of it sold outside of the United States, the Motorola Maxx. Guess what? That variant already has lollipop.

But, I could be wrong. Just seems like a possibility to me.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-18-2015 01:29 AM
    Regardless of their reasons or priorities for delays, I've learned i cannot count on Verizon from all of this. My next phone, regardless of price (and m stingy by nature) will be on the network I want by my standards. My contract is up in a year, and Verizon has only given me motivation to say goodbye.

06-18-2015 08:06 AM
    I was super happy with my turbo, coming from RMHD. Battery life was my main concern. However with as long as this is taking makes me wonder if the AC issue brought up above is correct. Or maybe it's another piece of software. The longer it goes on the more I wonder if it will even happen at all. Being a flagship device this hasn't been taken care of the correct way.
    I however am one that fought to keep my UDL package. So I feel kind of screwed. But in my defense since they made it hard to keep unlimited, I feel it's my duty to use as much as possible. There are several new devices coming with large batteries and swappable batteries so maybe I will consider that.
    06-18-2015 09:13 AM
    I just had a thought here, does anyone think that perhaps the reason for the holdup on pushing out LP to the Turbo has to do with Verizon's Advance Calling update not playing well with the baked in VoLTE capabilities in LP? IIRC none of the devices on Verizon that have the Advance Calling update also have 5.1, which is the version of LP that has VoLTE baked in. Any phones that do have Advance Calling are on 5.0.2 or earlier, builds that don't have VoLTE capability. The 2014 Moto X has LP but doesn't have AC, so maybe that is the reason for the delay. I mean we are looking for a reason that affects the Turbo and not other devices. Perhaps if they had simply updated the Turbo to 5.0.2 and had the AC update there wouldn't have been an issue (or as big of one).

I'm thinking they (Verizon & Motorola) thought it'd be better to wait for for 5.1 to take advantage of having VoLTE baked in to go along with their AC update, possibly because there were some issues with AC and the 5.0.X builds, but when they started working on the 5.1 builds, they found a more serious issue with AC and 5.1, and they've been problems trying to make the two work together. Just a thought.
    Volte on verizon works great on the nexus 6, even when using the non-verizon nexus 6 5.1.1 software. Whatever issues might have existed they cleared up before it hit the nexus 6.
    Ry likes this.
    06-18-2015 10:56 AM
    I was super happy with my turbo, coming from RMHD. Battery life was my main concern. However with as long as this is taking makes me wonder if the AC issue brought up above is correct. Or maybe it's another piece of software. The longer it goes on the more I wonder if it will even happen at all. Being a flagship device this hasn't been taken care of the correct way.
    I however am one that fought to keep my UDL package. So I feel kind of screwed. But in my defense since they made it hard to keep unlimited, I feel it's my duty to use as much as possible. There are several new devices coming with large batteries and swappable batteries so maybe I will consider that.
    Not sure how you have to fight hard to keep UDP. It's not hard at all to keep unlimited.
    06-18-2015 11:10 AM

Or..

Updates for the first and second generation Moto X, Moto G, and Moto E are all ahead of it.

Didn't this happen with the 2013 DROIDs too? While it got 4.4 rather quickly, it skipped 4.4.2 and got 4.4.4 later.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-18-2015 11:13 AM
    Didn't this happen with the 2013 DROIDs too? While it got 4.4 rather quickly, it skipped 4.4.2 and got 4.4.4 later.
    Yes, in fact, Verizon made Motorola push a minor network update in May 2014 rather than 4.4.2 (or a build of 4.4.2 that included the minor network update), despite the fact that Motorola was ready to test 4.4.2. Earlier they also made Motorola include the Jellybean blue color status bar network icons rather than the white KitKat icons with the first 4.4 update (which I rather liked, but, still, Motorola obviously had to change the KK framework manually), though they finally relented with the 4.4.4 update.

Perhaps I shouldn't complain too much about that, as the 2013 Droids probably never would have received a 4.4.4 update if it did get 4.4.2, but the initial 4.4 build had some serious bugs that affected more people than the network update fix they pushed in May (which affected customers roaming in a particular part of Canada, as I recall.)

Again, Verizon does not handle this phone like a flagship. Instead, they market it for its battery life and its Verizon network features (XLTE and VoLTE) and even features that aren't uncommon ("turbo" charging), don't even mention the version of Android, and they don't seem to care whether it has the latest version of Android on it or not. If it was truly a flagship, Verizon would be aggressive about keeping it updated. Instead if they are aggressive about anything, it's that it supports the Verizon network features that they want to push right now.

There are any number of reasons why the update is not ready yet - maybe it's VoLTE not working right, maybe it's Verizon specific software (i.e., the command center widget) not working right, or maybe it's as simple as Verizon needs to update reference material for their call-in support technicians and hasn't finished yet. Or it could be that the leak that it was coming out last week made them stubbornly delay to try to tell employees that future leaks will be responded to in a way to discredit the leak so the recipient of the leak will no longer trust the leaker.

At this point, anything is possible, and it doesn't really matter why, does it?
    06-18-2015 12:07 PM
    I just had a thought here, does anyone think that perhaps the reason for the holdup on pushing out LP to the Turbo has to do with Verizon's Advance Calling update not playing well with the baked in VoLTE capabilities in LP?
    I would say no -- Other phones have LP on 5.1 and have Advanced Calling from Verizon. An example is the LG G4.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-18-2015 12:16 PM
    Yes, in fact, Verizon made Motorola push a minor network update in May 2014 rather than 4.4.2 (or a build of 4.4.2 that included the minor network update), despite the fact that Motorola was ready to test 4.4.2.
    Network performance/bug fix update seems more important than going up a full version of the OS.

Could you link to where Motorola was ready to submit 4.4.2?

Earlier they also made Motorola include the Jellybean blue color status bar network icons rather than the white KitKat icons with the first 4.4 update (which I rather liked, but, still, Motorola obviously had to change the KK framework manually), though they finally relented with the 4.4.4 update.
    Probably to prevent customer service calls post-update on "why are my icons not changing color anymore?"

Perhaps I shouldn't complain too much about that, as the 2013 Droids probably never would have received a 4.4.4 update if it did get 4.4.2, but the initial 4.4 build had some serious bugs that affected more people than the network update fix they pushed in May (which affected customers roaming in a particular part of Canada, as I recall.)
    And is the assumption that AOSP 4.4.2 or 4.4.4 would have resolved the problem? Or was the fix rolled into Motorola's fork of the 4.4.4 build?

Again, Verizon does not handle this phone like a flagship. Instead, they market it for its battery life and its Verizon network features (XLTE and VoLTE) and even features that aren't uncommon ("turbo" charging), don't even mention the version of Android, and they don't seem to care whether it has the latest version of Android on it or not. If it was truly a flagship, Verizon would be aggressive about keeping it updated. Instead if they are aggressive about anything, it's that it supports the Verizon network features that they want to push right now.
    The way they market it, IMO, they absolutely handle this phone as a flagship. It's their main device. Almost a year later and new ads continue to roll out and the hardware got some additional customization options.

But your definition of "flagship" is different than Verizon. Verizon pushes this device on features that "normals" can relate to. Big battery, up to 48-hours of batter life. XLTE! That must be better than LTE.

Outside of people that post on this forum, the Android OS version is not a sales driver.

There are any number of reasons why the update is not ready yet - maybe it's VoLTE not working right, maybe it's Verizon specific software (i.e., the command center widget) not working right, or maybe it's as simple as Verizon needs to update reference material for their call-in support technicians and hasn't finished yet. Or it could be that the leak that it was coming out last week made them stubbornly delay to try to tell employees that future leaks will be responded to in a way to discredit the leak so the recipient of the leak will no longer trust the leaker.
    Or.. they're just not ready to release it.

Verizon and Motorola got an update out for the prepaid second gen Motorola Moto E that got it up to Lollipop 5.1. I think it launched on 5.0.2. That should tell you where the DROID TURBO is in the update queue.
    06-18-2015 01:25 PM
    Not sure how you have to fight hard to keep UDP. It's not hard at all to keep unlimited.
    Ry, they made it very difficult actually. Had to visit 2 stores and call customer service 3 times. I was trying to use other line upgrade to get it and then switch it to my line. They did not make it easy and I couldn't afford to buy it outright. Even had one store tell me they refused to sell it full price even if I wanted to.
    Needless to say I got it. I usually use between 10 and 15 gb monthly. So I get my money's worth I feel.
    06-18-2015 02:04 PM
    Network performance/bug fix update seems more important than going up a full version of the OS.

Could you link to where Motorola was ready to submit 4.4.2?
    Yep. https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchust...ts/Dfpjj3F2K6T

Again - why not put the network update into the 4.4.2 build rather than make Motorola update it on the current build?

By the way, there is a later comment from David Schuster detailing Verizon requirements that wavered from stock Android, especially regarding the dialer.

There are some questions about getting some of the features (dialer for example) from Android upgrades for the 2013 DROID's. The DROID family in general have some specific requirements from the carrier that we are required to fulfill. Our Moto X, G and now E line is much more of a "pure" android experience. To answer the question about dialer specifically, this is one area that the DROID family does NOT use the same solution from stock Android, so we are required to maintain the existing dialer look and feel in the DROID line
    So, Motorola needed to spend extra time to unnecessarily bring JB features to KK. We'll see if similar things happened with the LP update for the Turbo. I kind of doubt it in this case, as LP looks so much different already from KK, so they may as well go with the full updates from google. (I haven't tried the online simulator yet.)

Probably to prevent customer service calls post-update on "why are my icons not changing color anymore?"
    But then they went to white icons with the 4.4.4 release, so why the initial reluctance?

And is the assumption that AOSP 4.4.2 or 4.4.4 would have resolved the problem? Or was the fix rolled into Motorola's fork of the 4.4.4 build?
    The bugs as I recall were these: (1) There was a minor bug that made pressing the home key react as if it was pressed twice in a row, making some third party launcher not work right. Yes, it was minor, but I don't think it had anything to do with AOSP, as the Moto X 4.4 build did not have that problem (albeit it had on screen buttons.) I don't think any other phones with hardware home buttons received the 4.4 update - by the time the Samsung phones received KK, it was at 4.4.2, I believe. Some launchers ended up building updates that looked for the Droid and ignored the second home press. Again, this was unpatched for 5-6 months, depending on when you received the 4.4 update. (2). There was a serious bug that caused accounts to log out when your phone lost mobile data service without having another internet connection, such as WiFi, so they prompted you to log in when you regained connectivity. Some people had this happen to them every day, some people had it happen randomly (I had it randomly - it didn't happen every time this happened, but sometimes I went weeks without it happening, sometimes it happened multiple times a week.) As I had four Google accounts on my phone, two of them with second factor authentication, this was an enormous pain in the neck when it happened. I have no idea if this was an AOSP error or just an error with Motorola's radio driver, but it was unfixed with the May update and fixed with the 4.4.4 update.

I think there were more minor bugs, but I can't recall them at the moment.
    06-18-2015 02:06 PM
    Ry, they made it very difficult actually. Had to visit 2 stores and call customer service 3 times. I was trying to use other line upgrade to get it and then switch it to my line. They did not make it easy and I couldn't afford to buy it outright. Even had one store tell me they refused to sell it full price even if I wanted to.
    Needless to say I got it. I usually use between 10 and 15 gb monthly. So I get my money's worth I feel.
    Or you can just buy full price or buy used.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-18-2015 02:50 PM

Again - why not put the network update into the 4.4.2 build rather than make Motorola update it on the current build?
    Test cycle was probably accelerated for the Network Connectivity bug.

Make sense to me as doing a full test with it rolled into the 4.4.2 based build might have taken longer.

By the way, there is a later comment from David Schuster detailing Verizon requirements that wavered from stock Android, especially regarding the dialer.

So, Motorola needed to spend extra time to unnecessarily bring JB features to KK. We'll see if similar things happened with the LP update for the Turbo. I kind of doubt it in this case, as LP looks so much different already from KK, so they may as well go with the full updates from google. (I haven't tried the online simulator yet.)

But then they went to white icons with the 4.4.4 release, so why the initial reluctance?
    Did 4.4.4 also bring in the white dialer?

I suspect Verizon finally understood that there were battery life savings doing to the all white icons.

The bugs as I recall were these: (1) There was a minor bug that made pressing the home key react as if it was pressed twice in a row, making some third party launcher not work right. Yes, it was minor, but I don't think it had anything to do with AOSP, as the Moto X 4.4 build did not have that problem (albeit it had on screen buttons.) I don't think any other phones with hardware home buttons received the 4.4 update - by the time the Samsung phones received KK, it was at 4.4.2, I believe. Some launchers ended up building updates that looked for the Droid and ignored the second home press. Again, this was unpatched for 5-6 months, depending on when you received the 4.4 update.
    Was this 100% reproducible? Did it affect the stock launcher?

It doesn't seem like it would be an AOSP issue.

And if Motorola pushed out a fix for it and it just went out as a patch to 4.4 rather than bringing the entire 4.4.2 (or 4.4.4) along with it, I suspect people on the forums would still be upset.

(2). There was a serious bug that caused accounts to log out when your phone lost mobile data service without having another internet connection, such as WiFi, so they prompted you to log in when you regained connectivity. Some people had this happen to them every day, some people had it happen randomly (I had it randomly - it didn't happen every time this happened, but sometimes I went weeks without it happening, sometimes it happened multiple times a week.) As I had four Google accounts on my phone, two of them with second factor authentication, this was an enormous pain in the neck when it happened. I have no idea if this was an AOSP error or just an error with Motorola's radio driver, but it was unfixed with the May update and fixed with the 4.4.4 update.
    And this one too doesn't seem like an AOSP project issue. Nexus devices and GPes would have had that issue as well.

And again if Motorola pushed out a fix for it and it just went out as a patch to 4.4 rather than bringing the entire 4.4.2 (or 4.4.4) along with it, I suspect people on the forums would still be upset.

Begs the question -

If you're having issues with your device and the fix isn't explicitly a part of AOSP, would you rather take the bug fix as a patch or do you want OEMs spending the time to roll those fixes into an OS update?
    06-18-2015 03:06 PM
    Volte on verizon works great on the nexus 6, even when using the non-verizon nexus 6 5.1.1 software. Whatever issues might have existed they cleared up before it hit the nexus 6.
    I agree with you and doogald that AC works on the Nexus 6, but it also got it's AC update long after the others AC capable devices got theirs (2 AC updates for the Turbo). I'm thinking maybe there were issues with the earlier AC updates, our first one was last December and a second one in either January or February, while the Nexus 6 AC update didn't come out until I believe April or May. Say the Nexus 6 already had 5.1, and then they sent a modified AC update that works well with 5.1, but on the Turbo they've already got an update that doesn't work well with 5.1 and had to modify 5.1 to make it work. It would be much easier to modify something like an AC update vs an OS update, and modifying 5.1 may be more likely to mess up other stuff in the OS software.

I'm not stating this as a fact, just idly speculating to pass the time.
    06-18-2015 05:16 PM

Test cycle was probably accelerated for the Network Connectivity bug.

Make sense to me as doing a full test with it rolled into the 4.4.2 based build might have taken longer.
    It was a network connectivity bug that was rare and affected very, very few customers. It was patched for the Razr/Razr Maxx in January 2014, so the 2013 Droids were updated a full 4 months later. I can't believe that Verizon could not have waited until it was incorporated into 4.4.2. But, again, I'm not Verizon.

The bugs I listed affected far more people - they actually made the Motorola Forums board, even here on Android Central. I never saw a single post on any forum complaining about roaming problems in Toronto on a 2013 Droid (though I'll admit that doesn't mean that Verizon didn't have some customers with this issue.)

As Schuster said, they had a 4.4.2 build ready to test. The network connectivity fix was a very small update. I'm still not sure why they couldn't have waited until the 4.4.2 was ready and incorporate it there instead. I'm not Verizon, but priorities seem weird.

Oh, and now that I think about it, I think that they changed to the white icons with the May update rather than with the July 4.4.4 update...

(I think we've exhausted this topic, though, don't you think?)

Did 4.4.4 also bring in the white dialer?

I suspect Verizon finally understood that there were battery life savings doing to the all white icons.
    No, it still has the JB dialer. And, as I understand the issue, the all white icons do not save battery. Google not only removed the color with KK, they removed the network traffic animations. It was the animations they said when KK was released that was causing battery issues as much as the color - spending CPU time to update the icons was taking battery resources and stealing CPU cycles that could be used doing something else. Today both the 2013 Droids and the Turbo retain the network activity animations, so they are clearly still not stock.

The bugs as I recall were these: (1) There was a minor bug that made pressing the home key react as if it was pressed twice in a row, making some third party launcher not work right.
    Was this 100% reproducible? Did it affect the stock launcher?
    Yes, 100% reproducible, yes, it affected the stock launcher. If you moved away from the default home screen (in any launcher) and opened an app (tapping an icon, from the app drawer, from a notification, from a widget), while you were in the app and pressed home, it would go back to the last home screen, and then it would go back to the default - as if you pressed home twice. This affected everybody. (Of course, some people *liked* this behavior - it saved a step for them.) However, that, as you know, is not standard Android behavior, and it affected a launcher like Aviate, which used the home button not to return to default, but to toggle a particular feature. If you pressed home in Aviate, it toggled on, then toggled right back off.

Nova launcher finally released a version that looked specifically for a 2013 Droid and ignored the second immediate button press.

Begs the question -

If you're having issues with your device and the fix isn't explicitly a part of AOSP, would you rather take the bug fix as a patch or do you want OEMs spending the time to roll those fixes into an OS update?
    It depends. It doesn't have to be binary, every time must be this way. Is the problem serious? Is there an OS update waiting to roll out anyway? Does the OS update fix the problem anyway?

Right now there are people with Turbos who have some issues with WiFi routers. If they could have patched the problem back in December or January without an OS update - great, they should just have done it if they could. At this point, 8 months on, knowing that 5.1 is in the testing lab, though, I'd rather they spend the time getting 5.1 done and out already.

They've already made that choice with the Turbo. They decided to patch problems with VoLTE (and emergency dialing) and keep 4.4.4 and also decided to wait for 5.1 because AOSP brought native VoLTE support. These are things we know already.
    06-18-2015 06:16 PM
    That's because we're all enjoying our 5.1 lollipop update
    You're joking... Right?

06-18-2015 06:16 PM
    Or..

Updates for the first and second generation Moto X, Moto G, and Moto E are all ahead of it.

I've been pointing that out for quite a while myself. Of course, I'm pretty sure it's now gone much longer than the wait for 4.4.4 on the Maxx.
    06-18-2015 06:57 PM
    It was a network connectivity bug that was rare and affected very, very few customers. It was patched for the Razr/Razr Maxx in January 2014, so the 2013 Droids were updated a full 4 months later. I can't believe that Verizon could not have waited until it was incorporated into 4.4.2. But, again, I'm not Verizon.

The bugs I listed affected far more people - they actually made the Motorola Forums board, even here on Android Central. I never saw a single post on any forum complaining about roaming problems in Toronto on a 2013 Droid (though I'll admit that doesn't mean that Verizon didn't have some customers with this issue.)

As Schuster said, they had a 4.4.2 build ready to test. The network connectivity fix was a very small update. I'm still not sure why they couldn't have waited until the 4.4.2 was ready and incorporate it there instead. I'm not Verizon, but priorities seem weird.
    Affected population is one of the factors when risk assessing a bug/defect. Another is severity. One would think that a Network Connectivity bug would be severe enough that it would need to be addressed sooner than rolling out an Android OS update.

I work for a medical device company that manages medications for hospital systems. If there was an issue were drugs aren't being routed correctly, which I will equate "network connectivity for a mobile phone" to, you can be sure we're addressing that ahead of rolling out our next big system update (we are pretty much on a yearly cycle).

IOh, and now that I think about it, I think that they changed to the white icons with the May update rather than with the July 4.4.4 update...

(I think we've exhausted this topic, though, don't you think?)

No, it still has the JB dialer. And, as I understand the issue, the all white icons do not save battery. Google not only removed the color with KK, they removed the network traffic animations. It was the animations they said when KK was released that was causing battery issues as much as the color - spending CPU time to update the icons was taking battery resources and stealing CPU cycles that could be used doing something else. Today both the 2013 Droids and the Turbo retain the network activity animations, so they are clearly still not stock.
    Chalk that up to the DROID line not being the Moto line.

Yes, 100% reproducible, yes, it affected the stock launcher. If you moved away from the default home screen (in any launcher) and opened an app (tapping an icon, from the app drawer, from a notification, from a widget), while you were in the app and pressed home, it would go back to the last home screen, and then it would go back to the default - as if you pressed home twice. This affected everybody. (Of course, some people *liked* this behavior - it saved a step for them.) However, that, as you know, is not standard Android behavior, and it affected a launcher like Aviate, which used the home button not to return to default, but to toggle a particular feature. If you pressed home in Aviate, it toggled on, then toggled right back off.

Nova launcher finally released a version that looked specifically for a 2013 Droid and ignored the second immediate button press.

It depends. It doesn't have to be binary, every time must be this way. Is the problem serious? Is there an OS update waiting to roll out anyway? Does the OS update fix the problem anyway?

Right now there are people with Turbos who have some issues with WiFi routers. If they could have patched the problem back in December or January without an OS update - great, they should just have done it if they could. At this point, 8 months on, knowing that 5.1 is in the testing lab, though, I'd rather they spend the time getting 5.1 done and out already.

They've already made that choice with the Turbo. They decided to patch problems with VoLTE (and emergency dialing) and keep 4.4.4 and also decided to wait for 5.1 because AOSP brought native VoLTE support. These are things we know already.
    Home button sounds like an issue that should have been patched immediately.
    Notajediyet likes this.
    06-18-2015 07:11 PM
    Good luck to updates
    06-18-2015 08:39 PM
    i love my motorola droid turbo with lollipop software. Lollipop is a good update.
    Me too, oh wait....
    06-19-2015 04:56 AM
    was it released in another country first ?
    06-19-2015 08:12 AM
    No, someone was trying to stir the pot.
    LinuxWeather likes this.
    06-19-2015 08:44 AM
    No, the Motorola Droid Turbo is only available on Verizon in the US. For any areas outside the US, there's the Moto Maxx and it does have LP.
    06-19-2015 11:15 AM
    YES! Finally got 5.1.1...................……….......... for my Moto 360.

06-19-2015 11:51 AM
2,029 ... 6970717273 ...