06-30-2015 01:52 PM
2,029 ... 7273747576 ...
tools
    Sorry but M is nowhere close to being officially out. It's just a letter, not yet a dessert.
    You could say the same thing about the lollipop update for the Turbo too, that's the problem.

I made two predictions a while ago in this thread. That if an update was ever to be released for the Turbo this thread would be up to 80 pages and there would already be a successor to the Turbo. That's now sounding too optimistic.
    06-24-2015 04:35 PM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Dessert.
    06-24-2015 04:37 PM
    You could say the same thing about the lollipop update for the Turbo too, that's the problem.

I made two predictions a while ago in this thread. That if an update was ever to be released for the Turbo this thread would be up to 80 pages and there would already be a successor to the Turbo. That's now sounding too optimistic.
    Android M is clearly a developer preview and nowhere near official for any device while Lollipop is official.
    Almeuit and maxman1 like this.
    06-24-2015 04:48 PM
    I wouldn't call any of those phones flagships for those oems.
    The z3v was definitely Sony's flagship for Verizon. As for the other two, i said i picked three phones from three different classes.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    06-24-2015 04:49 PM
    Android M is clearly a developer preview and nowhere near official for any device while Lollipop is official.
    Not for the Turbo.

The great thing about constantly delaying an update for a company that promised one is eventually enough customers move on so that a class action becomes less costly.
    06-24-2015 04:49 PM
    The great thing about constantly delaying an update for a company that promised one is eventually enough customers move on so that a class action becomes less costly.
    LOL! Class Action!?
    06-24-2015 04:51 PM
    Not for the Turbo.

Dear lord, please tell me we're not doing the ridiculous class action talk again.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    travaz likes this.
    06-24-2015 04:58 PM
    Not for the Turbo.

You wouldn't be able to take a class action lawsuit just because you didn't get an update when they said they wanted it out by -- That isn't how it works.
    06-24-2015 05:00 PM
    Viewing the Verizon web site, with the 64GB version being unavailable and marketing relatively muted compared to the other models being offered, my instinct is that my 2 year contract will expire on the current software iteration. I can understand how some may have more interest in the latest software updates; my main concern is the lack of transparency and typical marketing promises not kept, and with a software version that is out and working with other devices, and for some time now. I get that cell phones are different but they're not that different, especially from one manufacturer.
    06-24-2015 05:01 PM
    LOL! Class Action!?
    Same company, same issue:

Motorola CLIQ XT Android OS Upgrade Class Action Settlement
    06-24-2015 05:03 PM
    You wouldn't be able to take a class action lawsuit just because you didn't get an update when they said they wanted it out by -- That isn't how it works.
    You're right. But if it never happens which is something that Motorola has already been found guilty of and had to pay for.

And honestly at a certain point it's easier and cheaper for them to go this route.
    06-24-2015 05:08 PM
    You're right. But if it never happens which is something that Motorola has already been found guilty of and had to pay for.

It looks like they said it from the start ... which helped to get people to buy the device. Android L wasn't being promised to get the Turbo to sell.
    Ry likes this.
    06-24-2015 05:08 PM
    Viewing the Verizon web site, with the 64GB version being unavailable and marketing relatively muted compared to the other models being offered, my instinct is that my 2 year contract will expire on the current software iteration. I can understand how some may have more interest in the latest software updates; my main concern is the lack of transparency and typical marketing promises not kept, and with a software version that is out and working with other devices, and for some time now. I get that cell phones are different but they're not that different, especially from one manufacturer.
    Been pretty transparent to me.

But "we're still working on it" is a good enough update for me.

Historically, dates are rarely given and I understand that. Not sure why that is hard for others to grasp.

Historically, Motorola has updated the DROID line after their own Moto line. I understand that Motorola has two generations of Moto X, G, and E that appear to be ahead of the DROID TURBO. The DROID MINI, DROID ULTRA, and DROID MAXX probably won't get Lollipop until M becomes a dessert.

A variant of the second gen Moto X was one of the first non-Nexus devices to get Lollipop. ..and that was a disaster. Unlike when a variant of the first gen Moto X was one of the first non-Nexus devices to get KitKat.

Motorola was pretty open about bugs and issues with the initial Lollipop update and was clear when they made the decision to halt 5.0 and use 5.1 instead. Lollipop 5.1 was official in March 2015.

I mean, there really are only two routes they go. They finish their work on the update and roll it out or they stop and announce that they can't do Lollipop. Until one of those two things happen, there is no news.
    hub1 likes this.
    06-24-2015 05:18 PM

And honestly at a certain point it's easier and cheaper for them to go this route.
    Where's the Atrix HD lawsuit?
    06-24-2015 05:19 PM
    It looks like they said it from the start ... which helped to get people to buy the device. Android L wasn't being promised to get the Turbo to sell.
    Since I'm not a lawyer I couldn't honestly tell you all the ways a viable class action could be brought against a company for something like this. I was just pointing out a very close example when Ry questioned this being possible.
    06-24-2015 05:23 PM
    Since I'm not a lawyer I couldn't honestly tell you all the ways a viable class action could be brought against a company for something like this. I was just pointing out a very close example when Ry questioned this being possible.
    I am not a lawyer either but .. If they promise to get sales and do not deliver that is one thing .. But just because L is released and they said they're working on it (and said a date they wanted to release) is another thing. Especially since they did this months after going on sale so they weren't doing it to push people to buy the phone by making a false promise.

Either way. The thread is about the updates and when they could possibly come. As Motorola said they're working on it -- to bring in something like a class action suite just because they missed the date they wanted is jumping way into left field imo.
    06-24-2015 05:30 PM
    I'm still confused why people who don't care about an update to lollipop and are "happy with kitKat" still feel a need to spend a lot of their time on a thread about when (or if) an update is coming out only to make sure they let everyone know over and over again how much they don't care or need the update.
    I never said that I was happy that the update is not out. What I said is that the phone is running fine on KitKat - which it is - so excoriating Verizon's software engineers (really Motorola's, as I pointed out) for making the phone run so long with a delayed software update is a exaggerating the issue by a great bit. The phone runs fine for almost everybody now, and there is no guarantee that it will be any better on Lollipop.

Even more interesting is how they don't understand when your behind two major updates (now that M is almost out) a lot of their apps will eventually start using the newer API's and they will either break or be left behind.
    M is not almost out. More than likely it is four months away, based on past history (Google releases new Android updates in October/November every year.) There is no released code for Android M - Google has created binary downloads for specific Nexus devices only for developers to pre-test their apps only. OEMs do not yet have the code in order to develop updates for their existing phones. Until the code is released to AOSP Motorola literally cannot do anything to develop Android M for the Turbo or for any other phone. Period.

Can you name a single application out now that *requires* Lollipop level APIs in order to run? (There used to be one that I knew of - Talon Plus - but the developer still maintained the older Talon version, and then he released an updated that works on KitKat.)

Again, I'm not here to defend Motorola/Verizon - I think this delay is unbelievable - but I think that the reaction is very overblown.
    adayoff and hub1 like this.
    06-24-2015 05:33 PM
    The z3v was definitely Sony's flagship for Verizon.
    The Sony Z3 is a flagship. The Z3v is a minor variant and *not* a flagship.
    06-24-2015 05:41 PM

Historically, dates are rarely given and I understand that. Not sure why that is hard for others to grasp.

Historically, Motorola has updated the DROID line after their own Moto line. I understand that Motorola has two generations of Moto X, G, and E that appear to be ahead of the DROID TURBO. The DROID MINI, DROID ULTRA, and DROID MAXX probably won't get Lollipop until M becomes a dessert.

A variant of the second gen Moto X was one of the first non-Nexus devices to get Lollipop. ..and that was a disaster. Unlike when a variant of the first gen Moto X was one of the first non-Nexus devices to get KitKat.

Motorola was pretty open about bugs and issues with the initial Lollipop update and was clear when they made the decision to halt 5.0 and use 5.1 instead. Lollipop 5.1 was official in March 2015.

I mean, there really are only two routes they go. They finish their work on the update and roll it out or they stop and announce that they can't do Lollipop. Until one of those two things happen, there is no news.
    I have to respectfully disagree with you on this, Ry. I see no transparency here at all. And I don't consider "we're working on it" or "soon" to be valid updates and are in fact a slap in the face to customers. I guess I also don't grasp why there are no timetables or dates given for updates? Why not? Do they really have no idea?

I'm repeating what I've said before, but I know of no other business that can give these vague answers and have people with products that don't work as intended and they basically just tell you it's too bad, we'll fix it "soon."

I would just say that although we were never "promised" an update by a certain date, the Turbo was clearly sold proudly and boldly stating in all the advertising that it was upgradeable to lollipop. To those of you who think that waiting for said update going on 9 months now is reasonable, with no real communications as to when it will be updated, I submit that you have no idea what good customer service looks like.
    06-24-2015 05:41 PM
    Can you name a single application out now that *requires* Lollipop level APIs in order to run? (There used to be one that I knew of - Talon Plus - but the developer still maintained the older Talon version, and then he released an updated that works on KitKat.)
    I believe Android Auto requires. I don't use it though. I have a problem with WIFI and always have. I can work through it, but it costs me extra in data charges. Hoping LP fixes.
    doogald likes this.
    06-24-2015 05:42 PM
    to bring in something like a class action suite just because they missed the date they wanted is jumping way into left field imo.
    I think at a certain point you have ask yourself if it's ever going to come out, it's a matter of if, not when. The CLIQ XT customers had to come to that realization. As I said it's best for a company to say very little and string customers along for as long as possible so they move on. It becomes less of a news story (bad publicity) when it's about an old phone that they don't sell anymore. And legally it's less costly to deal with.
    06-24-2015 05:45 PM

Heh, customers in my industry (oil and gas and agriculture) would laugh at such transparency, or lack thereof. Where is the machine, what is the status of its build and we need imaging of that, and documents, today. Nothing is as nebulous as the young bucks working in the software industry where everything is electrons and mortals don't need to know. Lollipop was talked about with the Turbo, way back to before it was released in October 2014, and numerous apparent industry insiders propped it up, to the extent that many wondered why the Turbo had capacitive buttons since L didn't require them.

When in doubt, follow the money. It rarely lies.
    anon(9227267) likes this.
    06-24-2015 05:47 PM
    I have to respectfully disagree with you on this, Ry. I see no transparency here at all. And I don't consider "we're working on it" or "soon" to be valid updates and are in fact a slap in the face to customers. I guess I also don't grasp why there are no timetables or dates given for updates? Why not? Do they really have no idea?
    If there is no update, what should they say?

They've never given dates. We've seen it bite HTC and OnePlus in recent memory.

I'm repeating what I've said before, but I know of no other business that can give these vague answers and have people with products that don't work as intended and they basically just tell you it's too bad, we'll fix it "soon."
    By saying fix, you're implying that there is something broken. For the most part, everyone who doesn't care about updates seems generally happy with KitKat.

I would just say that although we were never "promised" an update by a certain date, the Turbo was clearly sold proudly and boldly stating in all the advertising that it was upgradeable to lollipop. To those of you who think that waiting for said update going on 9 months now is reasonable, with no real communications as to when it will be updated, I submit that you have no idea what good customer service looks like.
    With all due respect, it seems like you have no idea on how Android OS upgrades and carrier test labs work.

From what I learned with the DROID RAZR/DROID Bionic updates and Verizon, when a device gets into the carrier labs, one thing going wrong can and will reset testing. The carrier will halt testing without testing anything else and the build goes back to the OEM. Very inefficient.
    06-24-2015 05:53 PM
    Heh, customers in my industry (oil and gas and agriculture) would laugh at such transparency, or lack thereof. Where is the machine, what is the status of its build and we need imaging of that, and documents, today. Nothing is as nebulous as the young bucks working in the software industry where everything is electrons and mortals don't need to know. Lollipop was talked about with the Turbo, way back to before it was released in October 2014, and numerous apparent industry insiders propped it up, to the extent that many wondered why the Turbo had capacitive buttons since L didn't require them.

When in doubt, follow the money. It rarely lies.
    Those who need to know, know.
    06-24-2015 05:58 PM
    What isn't working as intended on the Turbo?

For a business that says too bad, we'll fix it soon, I give you the automobile industry. How many cars are driving around right now with faulty airbags? We don't even know the answer to that question. When will they be patched? (And in this case we are talking about a problem that could kill you or one of your passengers. The same thing goes for the ignition switch issue that GM cars had - that GM knew about, and did nothing about until it created a lot of poor publicity, end even approved the switches that they knew were faulty for use in new cars. The Droid Turbo's KitKat build? It will not kill you, or injure you, or do anything other than work as, yes, intended.)

Verizon and Motorola have no obligation at all to update the software on the Turbo so long as it operates in a way that meet FCC regulations. It's really rather wonderful that these companies (in this case, Motorola) spend so much time and money on devices for which they will receive no future revenue at all.
    hub1 likes this.
    06-24-2015 06:04 PM
2,029 ... 7273747576 ...