06-30-2015 01:52 PM
2,029 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Totally disagree with this. If the only thing significant in this release was material design and notifications, this release wouldn't near what it is. Things like full Bluetooth LE support, 'guest' mode, access to RAW camera images, improvement in face unlock, trusted locations, trusted devices/Smart Lock, the way programs are handled running in the background, the ability to remove junk apps (not just disable them), etc.

This is why I am looking forward to Lollipop, as well as the look and feel. JMO
    "Full Bluetooth LE" --- if it works great, but turbos already got a great battery. Not a biggie.

"Guest mode" --- I will never use this. Don't care.

"Face Unlock" --- Worthless feature.

"Raw image files" --- If this matters to you, you should have a better camera anyway.

"Trusted devices" --- We already have this. They stole it from Moto.

As for the ART runtime, you can already enable it I'd you want.

So you think 4 features of dubious significant a great update make? Much to learn for you padawan.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-21-2014 09:05 PM
    Can be deleted, MT
    12-21-2014 10:26 PM
    "Full Bluetooth LE" --- if it works great, but turbos already got a great battery. Not a biggie.

"Guest mode" --- I will never use this. Don't care.

"Face Unlock" --- Worthless feature.

"Raw image files" --- If this matters to you, you should have a better camera anyway.

"Trusted devices" --- We already have this. They stole it from Moto.

So you think 4 features of dubious significant a great update make? Much to learn for you padawan.
    First of all, my disagreement is my opinion.

And Nova launcher is only going to get you 50% of Material Design. You may get close to the 'look', but I haven't seen/heard of anything that is able to allow the interaction patterns of Material Design (beyond notifications).

Fully supported Bluetooth LE has nothing to do with the battery performance, enough of LE is already supported to allow battery improvements. It is about compatibility with new external devices that require full support (Kwikset smart lock for example)

And just because you deem something worthless or unimportant because you won't use, doesn't mean that others aren't waiting for it. In the last VoLTE update, I currently could care less about HD calling (not enough support for it yet) and rarely use simultaneous voice and data, so the most significant part of the last update for me was the changes in battery performance, which had nothing to do with 'Advanced Calling 1.0', but there are a bunch of people excited about it

And yes, I could enable an experimental runtime in KitKat, but I personally would like to wait for the for production version, and I am sure there will be no improvements or advances from that first experimental version of ART. In fact, I am sure that current versions of UNIX and OS X are still using the same UNIX kernel that was used in 1973.

I am not discounting the significance of Material Design, I think it is just short sighted to say it is the only significant change for Android OS. And yes, instead of etc. I could have mentioned other things such as the 5000 public APIs, which should improve app development and stability, as well as a few other items.

But if the look is all that is important, then use Nova launcher, prop your short green legs up on a stool and enjoy. But for me, I look forward to several features under the cover, guess it is just the way I am, otherwise I would still be using my Moto X (2013) instead of a Turbo
    GatsbyGlen and philly like this.
    12-21-2014 10:53 PM
    See this. Can't quote link
    That feature is optional.
    Well, that would be disappointing. The article I read didn't say that it was still optional
    12-21-2014 11:16 PM
    In fact, I am sure that current versions of UNIX and OS X are still using the same UNIX kernel that was used in 1973.
    How sure are you?

12-22-2014 07:15 AM
    I have a sneaking suspicion the dramatic camera improvements are hinging largely on some hardware that isn't outside newer Nexus devices.
    Guess we'll see in a month or so. I can say for sure my 2nd gen Nexus 7 on L is same camera app/behavior/performance.
    12-22-2014 12:12 PM
    I agree with all of you who are saying what's the hurry. My Turbo's running flawlessly on KK right now and I'm in NO hurry to mess with that. This is by far the best device I've ever had. Take your time, VZW or Motorola or whoever LOL.

travaz likes this.
    12-23-2014 08:48 AM
    ART does not work fully on the Droid Turbo, it has a known bug when restarting. I would not recommend using it.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    12-23-2014 10:45 AM
    Lollipop is coming regardless, we just got these phones a few months ago, so I see it as why mess with what's working great right now esp considering the issues I've been aching through on my N9.

5.0 is good, but the eye candy changes are really over stated ... Most apps now have a material design layout (ugh the you tube change is awful BTW) also I'm not sure I want encryption forced on me if it eats away resources ... I'd rather just enjoy the turbo I have and look forward to a polished 5.1 or something down the road.

travaz likes this.
    12-23-2014 04:25 PM
    also I'm not sure I want encryption forced on me if it eats away resources
    Not sure this update would force an encryption. there is a setting on the Nexus 7 2013 and my Galaxy S4 GPE , both on Lollipop. Under sercurity "enable encryption " is there which I dont need to do.
    This Forced encryption you talk about is on by default on the new Nexus 6
    12-24-2014 03:02 PM
    Wont the Moto Maxx get it 1st? No vzw involvement and bloat free, it is pretty much a moto x pure.

12-24-2014 06:08 PM
    If it was a US phone, then yeah, totally. But since the Maxx is technically still an international phone, even though it is on a US network, it will be longer until the Maxx gets Lollipop. International phones aren't as big of a priority for carriers. (Although now that I think of it, your carrier might just recognize it as a Turbo and you'll receive the update at the same time as us). I'm not an expert on this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
    12-24-2014 07:40 PM
    Because the Maxx is unlocked I would think it could get Lollipop before the turbo, unless, of course, verizon and moto have some sort of agreement not to do that.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    12-25-2014 01:35 PM
    Not sure this update would force an encryption. there is a setting on the Nexus 7 2013 and my Galaxy S4 GPE , both on Lollipop. Under sercurity "enable encryption " is there which I dont need to do.
    It won't be encrypted if you do an OTA update, but I think it will be if you do a factory data reset after the update. Although I could be wrong about that part....
    12-25-2014 01:36 PM
    All Verizon LTE phones are unlocked out of the gate...that has nothing to do how and why Verizon will release L for Turbo. What some people forget about is...just because Moto has released the L update, doesn't mean Verizon will immediately pushed out to their Moto phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12-25-2014 02:10 PM
    Motorola started, December 10, the upgrade to Android ™ 5.0 Lollipop in Brazil. The process will be done in phases and started the Moto X 2nd generation version with retail software. Our current plans to upgrade to the Lollipop release include the following items (in retail versions and operators). The list will grow over time, so watch out for changes.

Moto X
    (2nd Generation)

Moto G
    (2nd Generation)

Moto Maxx

Moto X
    (1st Generation)

Moto G
    (1st Generation)

Moto G
    with 4G LTE

Moto E
    12-26-2014 08:34 AM
    Good to know, you're right it's just forced on N6/N9 indeed.

12-26-2014 08:50 AM
    It won't be encrypted if you do an OTA update, but I think it will be if you do a factory data reset after the update. Although I could be wrong about that part....
    What's your reasoning for factory reset encrypting the phone? Have you read that somewhere, or is that your gut call? Just curious, because it doesn't' sound like the way I'd approach device encryption.
    12-26-2014 09:32 AM
    What's your reasoning for factory reset encrypting the phone? Have you read that somewhere, or is that your gut call? Just curious, because it doesn't' sound like the way I'd approach device encryption.
    Lollipop by default is set to encrypt the phone on initial setup. A factory reset is the same as an original setup. However, it won't encrypt a device that already setup and upgraded to Lollipop by in place OTA.

See http://readwrite.com/2014/10/28/goog...ryption-issues
    dungoyle likes this.
    12-26-2014 10:46 AM
    Lollipop by default is set to encrypt the phone on initial setup. A factory reset is the same as an original setup. However, it won't encrypt a device that already setup and upgraded to Lollipop by in place OTA.

See http://readwrite.com/2014/10/28/goog...ryption-issues
    Thanks for that doogald. I don't like that philosophy, that's for sure.
    12-26-2014 11:35 AM
    Honestly folks if you want the latest info go to this Motorola form for the Droid Turbo. There is an Official Lollypop thread that is from Moto. You can get real and good info here. Also lots of help and info on the Turbo

https://forums.motorola.com/hives/3c7b2b591b/posts
    KPMcClave likes this.
    12-26-2014 11:46 AM
    Thanks for that doogald. I don't like that philosophy, that's for sure.
    I encrypt my phone now so I kind of do like it. It's definitely a good feature if you lose your phone, or it's stolen.
    12-27-2014 07:55 AM
    Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?-lollipop-soon.jpg
    TechCaptain likes this.
    12-28-2014 08:17 AM
    what about root?why did it take so long to release root?
    12-28-2014 01:54 PM
    What about root? What are you asking and what's it got to do with this thread?
    12-28-2014 05:15 PM
2,029 ... 7891011 ...