Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I love my Droid Turbo. And I have faith in Motorola. If it were left up to them solely, the Turbo would get Lollipop lightning fast. Unfortunately, it's not just up to Motorola and while I understand Verizon wants to make sure that 5.0 is as bug free as possible by the time it rolls out, I just don't have a lot of faith that Big Red will be terribly proactive. I hate to be a cynic but if Verizon rolls out Lollipop to the Turbo much before December 31st, I'll be pleasantly surprised. If it's not until next year, I'll be disappointed but not the least bit shocked.

You do realize verizon was the first to update the moto x last year. That's right VERIZON was the first with an update. Verizon loves moto, always has been their bread and butter, so they seem to give them the first go for everything, and do not take as long "holding updates"

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Motorola Droid Turbo has everything in it that few would have expected in the new Moto X. With best of the specifications, a great screen, solid build quality system and awesome battery life, the Droid Turbo will make any customer jealous of the fact that it is available exclusively from their carrier only.

DESIGN
The Motorola Droid Turbo is available in 3 different colors: a metallic black & red and a ballistic nylon black. The major difference between these models goes beyond the color, as the color you choose also depicts what material you’ll find on the back of the device.
Also, there is a 21 MP camera with a dual LED flash light, which isn’t dimpled like the Moto X (2014) or the Nexus 6.

CAMERA
The Droid Turbo comes with a 21 MP rear shooter with a f/2.0 aperture and dual LED flash, along with a 2 MP front camera. When it comes to the camera application, things remain simple and crisp, with only a few shooting modes like panorama and HDR available.

DISPLAY
The Droid Turbo features a 5.2-inch AMOLED display protected by unbreakable Gorilla Glass 3 which boasts a Quad core HD resolution, resulting in a pixel density of a amazing 565 ppi. This is one of the highest pixel densities we have seen on a smartphone display yet, and is certainly a factor to the great viewing experience this display offers.

PERFORMANCE AND HARDWARE
When it comes to the hardware, the specifications of the Droid Turbo did catch some by surprise, especially when you are considering it as a carrier exclusive device. With the quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor, clocking at around 2.7 GHz, 3 GB of RAM and the Adreno 420 GPU the Droid Turbo boasts the best processing package currently available, and this is certainly reflecting in the performance of Droid Turbo.

PRICE RANGE:
The Motorola Droid Turbo is available exclusively from Verizon Wireless for $199.99 with a 2 year contract, $24.99/month under Verizon’s Edge program, or for the full retail price of $599.99.

How much is Verizon paying you for the PR work?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
You do realize verizon was the first to update the moto x last year. That's right VERIZON was the first with an update. Verizon loves moto, always has been their bread and butter, so they seem to give them the first go for everything, and do not take as long "holding updates"

Yes, and the Droids were the second non-Nexus phones to get KitKat. But then the Verizon X was the last carrier to patch to 4.4.2, and the Droids didn't get a badly needed update from 4.4 until 4.4.4 in July. (To be fair, Motorola seemed ready to go in May, but Verizon pushed it off for a minor update that patched a network bug that affected a very small number of users, and then Moto held off as Google patched to 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 for Heartbleed and other bugs.)

Still, Verizon itself has been much, much, much better in the last 18 months getting updates out to all Android phones.

To be honest, after the annoying bugs on the 4.4 update for the Droids last year, as a Turbo user I'd almost want them to wait for a few weeks to see if there is a 5.0.1 before Motorola and Verizon push a lollipop update.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and the Droids were the second non-Nexus phones to get KitKat. But then the Verizon X was the last carrier to patch to 4.4.2, and the Droids didn't get a badly needed update from 4.4 until 4.4.4 in July. (To be fair, Motorola seemed ready to go in May, but Verizon pushed it off for a minor update that patched a network bug that affected a very small number of users, and then Moto held off as Google patched to 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 for Heartbleed and other bugs.)

Still, Verizon itself has been much, much, much better in the last 18 months getting updates out to all Android phones.

To be honest, after the annoying bugs on the 4.4 update for the Droids last year, as a Turbo user I'd almost want them to wait for a few weeks to see if there is a 5.0.1 before Motorola and Verizon push a lollipop update.

Exactly. Everyone wants the latest update, but then if there's issues they complain "they should have waited" to push the update. I am sure Moto wants the best update possible, even if that skips over one release to get the update that fixes any bugs the first update brought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I know its a different build but I installed 5.0 on a nexus 7 and dont have any issues with it at all.
I can't remember what version that bug is in but that's not one I've heard so far and I'm sure they'll get that one figured out quickly. How are you liking it on the 7? Noticeable difference in battery life or no?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Its different but I like it. Its probably the biggest change I have seen yet in an aidroid device. Going from ICS to JB was not as noticeable of a change as this is. Took me a couple days to get used to it. The battery saving feature is the most important thing for me. My 7 is wifi only but Ive had it turned on since last night. Great battery life so far. 92% left and its probably at 18 hours. The thing that sucks is side loading it wipes it clean. So all games were reinstalled as new. No progress saved.

Empty J

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I wish Verizon would post something about their update plans for the Droid Turbo.

It's pretty silly that they did not have their roadmap to Lollipop planned out with expected dates ahead of the launch of this new flagship phone, especially as we approach Christmas. But I have come to expect this ineptitude from Verizon.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I wish Verizon would post something about their update plans for the Droid Turbo.

It's pretty silly that they did not have their roadmap to Lollipop planned out with expected dates ahead of the launch of this new flagship phone, especially as we approach Christmas. But I have come to expect this ineptitude from Verizon.

How is Verizon gonna have an update roadmap? They have no way to force a manufacturer to update a phone and no way to make sure they do it in a timely manner. I don't remember Verizon ever having an update roadmap for any phone. But continue on with your ignorant Verizon hate, it's what people around here so best.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

heyeaglefn

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

LOL.

Empty J

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Per https://motorola-global-portal.cust...khTeERkbTdtIiwic2Vzc2lvbklEIjoiT1ZSOGRtN20ifQ, the Droid Turbo Lollipop update is "pending partner support". I took that to mean that it is now in Verizon's hands.

Is it too much to ask that Verizon give some (very) rough estimates?

And my Verizon "hate" isn't ignorant. They have horrible customer support. They never even sent me a text message regarding the $100 trade in offer after I purchased my Droid Turbo, and it took 5 hours of phone calls to get through to someone that knew what the hell I was talking about.

Their network can't be beat in my area, which is why I stick with them.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Actually, I think it is. Motorola explained last year that failing carrier testing is a two week cycle between tests. How does Verizon know if Motorola's code will work?

What's the upside for Verizon for publishing a date? The worst thing that can happen is that the code fails testing, several times, and the update is weeks late, and everybody's pissed that it's late. Or, you meet the date and the code is buggy, so everybody is pissed. (Last year's Droids had a bug with the KitKat update that caused many people to lose connectivity to any Google accounts if they went through an area with no mobile signal. That happened to some people every day, and wasn't fixed for six months.)

If you somehow meet the date, nobody gives you credit, they just shrug.

Both Verizon and Motorola are much better off not publicizing an update schedule, frankly. Maybe an HTC-ish "within 90 days"? That'd probably be fine. Otherwise, there's no upside and a lot of potential downside.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
How is Verizon gonna have an update roadmap? They have no way to force a manufacturer to update a phone and no way to make sure they do it in a timely manner. I don't remember Verizon ever having an update roadmap for any phone. But continue on with your ignorant Verizon hate, it's what people around here so best.

Woah dude, relax.

Posted via the Android Central App

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Per https://motorola-global-portal.cust...khTeERkbTdtIiwic2Vzc2lvbklEIjoiT1ZSOGRtN20ifQ, the Droid Turbo Lollipop update is "pending partner support". I took that to mean that it is now in Verizon's hands.

And my Verizon "hate" isn't ignorant. They have horrible customer support. They never even sent me a text message regarding the $100 trade in offer after I purchased my Droid Turbo, and it took 5 hours of phone calls to get through to someone that knew what the hell I was talking about.

Their network can't be beat in my area, which is why I stick with them.

Wait, what? What does a trade in credit have to do with posting an update schedule?
And why don't you post your own update schedule? You have pretty much the same ability to make manufacturers get their updates done timely and correctly as Verizon does. I guess everyone should be mad at you because you haven't posted an update schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.