Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a turbo and a dinosaur nexus 7 and my nexus 7 doesnt seem to be any slower or laggiernthan it already was. I havent seen any problems on it yet either.

Posted from my 64 GB Droid Turbo black nylon

Omlu Omlu

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks, I just talked to Motorola tech support and thought I'd give it a shot in the dark and ask. The guy told me that the Lollipop update for the Droid Turbo is scheduled for Dec 16-17. He said it after a brief pause - seemed to me like he was looking it up, as opposed to pulling an estimate out of thin air. That was a rather specific answer and up until now I haven't heard this anywhere at all. I did a double-take and asked again to be sure - yup, no joke! Who knows if he'll be right or not.

I actually signed up for these forums (after lurking for quite awhile) just to relay this. Don't shoot the messenger if turns out not to be true! :p Can't wait!

That's pretty exciting to hear. I keep telling myself I should wait to install such a major update when it comes, but I know I won't :(

Posted via the Android Central App

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I can wait. It took almost 3 weeks to get the phone where I am happy with it and everything works well and fast. Coming from Apple I have experienced too many times the battery killing CPU slowing updates. You guys can be the guinea pigs lol

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks, I just talked to Motorola tech support and thought I'd give it a shot in the dark and ask. The guy told me that the Lollipop update for the Droid Turbo is scheduled for Dec 16-17. He said it after a brief pause - seemed to me like he was looking it up, as opposed to pulling an estimate out of thin air. That was a rather specific answer and up until now I haven't heard this anywhere at all. I did a double-take and asked again to be sure - yup, no joke! Who knows if he'll be right or not.

I actually signed up for these forums (after lurking for quite awhile) just to relay this. Don't shoot the messenger if turns out not to be true! :p Can't wait!
Whether this turns out to be true or not, it is still welcome information since anything previously has been pure speculation. Thanks for passing it along. You won't be lambasted (by most of us) if it turns out to be incorrect -- that shyte happens all the time. At least your information came from a Verizon source.

Edit: All the same, Ima let a couple dozen of you guys run L for about a week for soaking before I dip into a potential bug pool.
:p

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, though to reiterate, those dates were given to me by a Motorola technical support rep. I have asked two different Verizon reps recently and was told that there's no specific dates yet.

I realized afterwards that I could've asked the Motorola rep follow-up questions (e.g., where are you getting those dates from, when is the soak test starting, etc), but I was a bit caught off guard and wilted under the pressure, ha. So, to try to be complete, I just called Motorola tech support again, obviously speaking to someone different, and unfortunately this time I was told that there are no specific dates yet and they have no idea where the other rep got that information. :( So, who knows...

taniscontrol

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody tried rooting and installing a lollipop ROM? I haven't checked if there's a stable one out for the droid turbo, but I'm curious if it's worth trying or if it's better to sit tight and wait.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

There's hope that the current lollipop root method will be viable by then. We could have root in two weeks!

The-wolf547

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Droid Turbo Might Get Lollipop!!!

The Droid Turbo has been added to the Lollipop development page on Motorola's website! Are you excited? and what are your thoughts?

The-wolf547

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Proof. I don't own a Droid turbo. I was checking if there was any changes. I do however own a Moto E.

Attachments

• 22878.jpg
    22878.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 207

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo Might Get Lollipop!!!

This is nothing new.

Pretty sure everyone 10000000% expects Turbo to get Lollipop and there would be a significant uproar if it didn't.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

2014 Verizon Moto X already has it! :) Actually, in everyday use I don't see a lot of difference. Notifiers are a lot better and task switcher. But for the rest, it's just another OS.

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, honestly until they develop a dark themed version of lollipop I'm not all that excited. White backgrounds for everything are too bright for my liking and they probably use more battery. In a dark room who wants to be staring at a sheet of white light. just my opinion.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, honestly until they develop a dark themed version of lollipop I'm not all that excited. White backgrounds for everything are too bright for my liking and they probably use more battery. In a dark room who wants to be staring at a sheet of white light. just my opinion.

Agree

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I agree also. I cant Stand the white background on my nexus 7 and 10. Battery saving feature is nice though, but I cant see really needing it with the Beastly Turbo battery.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I can wait. It took almost 3 weeks to get the phone where I am happy with it and everything works well and fast. Coming from Apple I have experienced too many times the battery killing CPU slowing updates. You guys can be the guinea pigs lol
I agree. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to how my phone is set up & organized. I find I use it more & more for everything "not" a phone and getting it just right takes some time. As is, it's the most perfect phone I've had to date so while I'll definitely update to 5.0, I'm certainly in no hurry.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Edit: All the same, Ima let a couple dozen of you guys run L for about a week for soaking before I dip into a potential bug pool.
:p

Smart :) Actually I updated my Moto X with zero issues. I was worried about some of my apps breaking, but nothing bad happened. It was a pretty unexciting update.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Has anybody tried rooting and installing a lollipop ROM? I haven't checked if there's a stable one out for the droid turbo, but I'm curious if it's worth trying or if it's better to sit tight and wait.

There's no currently known root exploit or known way to unlock the boot loader.

cjp39

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the first gen Nexus7 as well and at first it was a little slower, although I admit I was coming from a rooted state running CM11 which is much faster than stock Kit Kat, and after a while and turning off the Google Now notifications (a big one) it seems relatively quick compared to what it was.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

The Droid Turbo has been added to the Lollipop development page on Motorola's website! Are you excited? and what are your thoughts?

There is no "might" about it, it "will" get lollipop, just depends on when.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams