Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suthrncoyote

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Motorola Droid Turbo has everything in it that few would have expected in the new Moto X. With best of the specifications, a great screen, solid build quality system and awesome battery life, the Droid Turbo will make any customer jealous of the fact that it is available exclusively from their carrier only.

DESIGN
The Motorola Droid Turbo is available in 3 different colors: a metallic black & red and a ballistic nylon black. The major difference between these models goes beyond the color, as the color you choose also depicts what material you’ll find on the back of the device.
Also, there is a 21 MP camera with a dual LED flash light, which isn’t dimpled like the Moto X (2014) or the Nexus 6.

CAMERA
The Droid Turbo comes with a 21 MP rear shooter with a f/2.0 aperture and dual LED flash, along with a 2 MP front camera. When it comes to the camera application, things remain simple and crisp, with only a few shooting modes like panorama and HDR available.

DISPLAY
The Droid Turbo features a 5.2-inch AMOLED display protected by unbreakable Gorilla Glass 3 which boasts a Quad core HD resolution, resulting in a pixel density of a amazing 565 ppi. This is one of the highest pixel densities we have seen on a smartphone display yet, and is certainly a factor to the great viewing experience this display offers.

PERFORMANCE AND HARDWARE
When it comes to the hardware, the specifications of the Droid Turbo did catch some by surprise, especially when you are considering it as a carrier exclusive device. With the quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor, clocking at around 2.7 GHz, 3 GB of RAM and the Adreno 420 GPU the Droid Turbo boasts the best processing package currently available, and this is certainly reflecting in the performance of Droid Turbo.

PRICE RANGE:
The Motorola Droid Turbo is available exclusively from Verizon Wireless for $199.99 with a 2 year contract, $24.99/month under Verizon’s Edge program, or for the full retail price of $599.99.

Suthrncoyote

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
So, it's a nice phone. I think that it is worthless without the update that allows use of the internet while on the phone. This feature is for work as well as entertainment. This is a wonkful product with a serious flaw. I am not pleased with the units inability to allow me to be productive. Response has been horrible. Told I can only do both important tasks if I am hook up to WiFi. Now I have to use two devices to do the same thing as my last phone. Fruitless.

When is the update going to be available?

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see some feedback as to how it's running on the Moto x and g. I think that'll be the true tale of what we're looking at for the turbo.

All right, I have the Moto X (leather back - purty!) and the Turbo. Lollipop seems to run flawlessly on the X. It's frikkin weird though. The task switcher really threw me with the cards, but now I like it. Notifications are way better, right off the lock screen. I don't notice any difference in battery endurance. I hate the new dialer. But I hated the 4.4.4 dialer too, so no harm done there. I just replaced it with another. I still want Smartactions back, but that's gone forever I guess. All my apps work fine - I have a number of calculators, Kindle, Pandora, Netflix, Amazons crappy streaming service for video, cloud storage of various types and several widgets. All run like they were intended. It took some getting used to, but nothing difficult to figure out. I'm not a fan of the new flat design, but I can live with it since I use Nova and a lot of it is hidden. I hope it comes soon to the Turbo. Food for thought though - the Nokia Icon was a VZW exclusive, and the best WP around. Still is. But they STILL have not release WP8.1 for it and in fact it's been dropped back a stage in testing. Meanwhile nearly every other WP is running 8.1 and it;s a major update. That left a bad taste and I've learned not to expect much from VZW. Yeah they are fast on the Moto X, but they can be maddeningly slow on even flagships.

Enough of that. Android is a different kettle of fish and a much MUCH larger portion of VZWs income. It will show up. I'; like to know when it will come for my trusty Razr MaxxHD :p :p :p

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
All right, I have the Moto X (leather back - purty!) and the Turbo. Lollipop seems to run flawlessly on the X. It's frikkin weird though. The task switcher really threw me with the cards, but now I like it. Notifications are way better, right off the lock screen. I don't notice any difference in battery endurance. I hate the new dialer. But I hated the 4.4.4 dialer too, so no harm done there. I just replaced it with another. I still want Smartactions back, but that's gone forever I guess. All my apps work fine - I have a number of calculators, Kindle, Pandora, Netflix, Amazons crappy streaming service for video, cloud storage of various types and several widgets. All run like they were intended. It took some getting used to, but nothing difficult to figure out. I'm not a fan of the new flat design, but I can live with it since I use Nova and a lot of it is hidden. I hope it comes soon to the Turbo. Food for thought though - the Nokia Icon was a VZW exclusive, and the best WP around. Still is. But they STILL have not release WP8.1 for it and in fact it's been dropped back a stage in testing. Meanwhile nearly every other WP is running 8.1 and it;s a major update. That left a bad taste and I've learned not to expect much from VZW. Yeah they are fast on the Moto X, but they can be maddeningly slow on even flagships.

Enough of that. Android is a different kettle of fish and a much MUCH larger portion of VZWs income. It will show up. I'; like to know when it will come for my trusty Razr MaxxHD :p :p :p
How's the battery life of lollipop compared to kit kat?

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't see any real difference.

Interesting, on my Nexus 7 2013 the difference is night and day. I used to not put my Nexus to sleep and just powered it off because it would be dead in 2 to 3 days with WiFi still on. Now with everything left on just putting the device to sleep I get about 6 days of standby time.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, on my Nexus 7 2013 the difference is night and day. I used to not put my Nexus to sleep and just powered it off because it would be dead in 2 to 3 days with WiFi still on. Now with everything left on just putting the device to sleep I get about 6 days of standby time.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.

Don't know what to tell you. My Moto X 2014 runs down at what seems to be the same rate as always. I can't do a sleep rundown test - I need to *use* it :)

bcrit

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
My N7 wifi only got the update late last night. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Will give a report later. Anxious to get it on my DT.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks, I just talked to Motorola tech support and thought I'd give it a shot in the dark and ask. The guy told me that the Lollipop update for the Droid Turbo is scheduled for Dec 16-17. He said it after a brief pause - seemed to me like he was looking it up, as opposed to pulling an estimate out of thin air. That was a rather specific answer and up until now I haven't heard this anywhere at all. I did a double-take and asked again to be sure - yup, no joke! Who knows if he'll be right or not.

I actually signed up for these forums (after lurking for quite awhile) just to relay this. Don't shoot the messenger if turns out not to be true! :p Can't wait!

Wow, I can't believe that this guy might actually be pretty close. Now that there's word of a soak test, a number of folks are speculating that both the Lollipop and VoLTE updates may be coming together, and soon.

I admit that I regretted the above as my 1st ever post almost every day since then, heh. And less than 24 hrs ago I was close to giving up entirely on those dates or anything close to them, since they'd never been confirmed and we hadn't yet heard a peep. I also must've talked to at least 3-4 other Motorola/VZW reps, none of which knew anything about either update. But now it looks like the end (of our wait) is near, whew!

EDIT: Or not... 'twas the VoLTE update but alas no Lollipop in sight.

Last edited:

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I haven't been through a major update on Android yet but when it finally comes are you locked in to it or is it easy enough to revert back to KK?

I only ask since I was on Apple and once you installed the update you had to live with it f'd up or not until they fixed it.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been through a major update on Android yet but when it finally comes are you locked in to it or is it easy enough to revert back to KK?

I only ask since I was on Apple and once you installed the update you had to live with it f'd up or not until they fixed it.

Without an unlocked boot loader, once you accept an update you're locked in.

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
And less than 24 hrs ago I was close to giving up entirely on those dates or anything close to them, since they'd never been confirmed and we hadn't yet heard a peep. I also must've talked to at least 3-4 other Motorola/VZW reps, none of which knew anything about either update.

Expect that you will never, ever, hear anything confirmed officially. Updates always come when they are ready, and specific dates will never be promised. That's just the way it's been.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Expect that you will never, ever, hear anything confirmed officially. Updates always come when they are ready, and specific dates will never be promised. That's just the way it's been.

As it was in the beginning, it is now and ever more shall be. That's Verizon for you!

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
As thou ignorantly hateth on Verizon, verily your entire comment looketh ignorant

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

Oh I don't think so. Item - Icon. Everyone else has WP8.1 and has gone from Black to Cyan to Denim OS firmware Verizon? Not a chance. Same with the 928. Meanwhile Microsoft is pounding out cheap and midrange phones that cost a fraction of what the Icon did and they ARRIVE with the newest firmware. That's pure BS. If you are selling a phone you represent as a flagship, freaking SUPPORT it like a flagship.
Droid MaxxHD? Flagship andorid phone. One of the last to get Kitkat.
Blackberry Z30? Never did get the latest firmware. At this point I doubt it ever will. If you want the latest you install a leak and hope you don't brick your phone.

Don't call me ignorant. I've dealt with Verizon and their freaking slow updates for many years. Since my Blackberry 8330. Their update cycle purely sucks. If you don't know that, you don't know much. Granted the new Droids are getting updated faster. But god help you if you don't have a Droid. They just cannot be bothered.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh I don't think so. Item - Icon. Everyone else has WP8.1 and has gone from Black to Cyan to Denim OS firmware Verizon? Not a chance. Same with the 928. Meanwhile Microsoft is pounding out cheap and midrange phones that cost a fraction of what the Icon did and they ARRIVE with the newest firmware. That's pure BS. If you are selling a phone you represent as a flagship, freaking SUPPORT it like a flagship.
Droid MaxxHD? Flagship andorid phone. One of the last to get Kitkat.
Blackberry Z30? Never did get the latest firmware. At this point I doubt it ever will. If you want the latest you install a leak and hope you don't brick your phone.

Don't call me ignorant. I've dealt with Verizon and their freaking slow updates for many years. Since my Blackberry 8330. Their update cycle purely sucks. If you don't know that, you don't know much. Granted the new Droids are getting updated faster. But god help you if you don't have a Droid. They just cannot be bothered.

I didn't call you ignorant. And your most recent comment had nothing to do with your previous comment (which was ignorant) and nothing to do with my response either. But thanks for the useless rant .. I guess.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Would everyone here rather there never ever be any leaks or rumors of future updates that way and when it comes out the next day everybody is just happily surprised? Would you rather know nothing ever, or have drips and drabs of rumors come out?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Would everyone here rather there never ever be any leaks or rumors of future updates that way and when it comes out the next day everybody is just happily surprised? Would you rather know nothing ever, or have drips and drabs of rumors come out?

It wouldn't matter, people would still complain

Status
Not open for further replies.