Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symthic

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Oh I don't think so. Item - Icon. Everyone else has WP8.1 and has gone from Black to Cyan to Denim OS firmware Verizon? Not a chance. Same with the 928. Meanwhile Microsoft is pounding out cheap and midrange phones that cost a fraction of what the Icon did and they ARRIVE with the newest firmware. That's pure BS. If you are selling a phone you represent as a flagship, freaking SUPPORT it like a flagship.
Droid MaxxHD? Flagship andorid phone. One of the last to get Kitkat.
Blackberry Z30? Never did get the latest firmware. At this point I doubt it ever will. If you want the latest you install a leak and hope you don't brick your phone.

Don't call me ignorant. I've dealt with Verizon and their freaking slow updates for many years. Since my Blackberry 8330. Their update cycle purely sucks. If you don't know that, you don't know much. Granted the new Droids are getting updated faster. But god help you if you don't have a Droid. They just cannot be bothered.

Yeah, I'm coming to the Turbo from a Lumia 928. I don't know if/when the 8.1 update came out. Still, Windows Phone has the ingenius "Preview for Developers" which circumvents the inefficient update system of carriers by allowing the user to opt-in to the readily available builds. I had 8.1 on my phone since it was publicly available, and my brother's Icon did too.

That said, Verizon's Windows Phone support does suck. It took like a year for them to even get a single phone (the HTC Trophy, my first smartphone), and a little longer for them to get the 928 and Icon, both of which are only available in black and white, as opposed to the colorful spectrum of the phones available on other carriers.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm coming to the Turbo from a Lumia 928. I don't know if/when the 8.1 update came out. Still, Windows Phone has the ingenius "Preview for Developers" which circumvents the inefficient update system of carriers by allowing the user to opt-in to the readily available builds. I had 8.1 on my phone since it was publicly available, and my brother's Icon did too.

That said, Verizon's Windows Phone support does suck. It took like a year for them to even get a single phone (the HTC Trophy, my first smartphone), and a little longer for them to get the 928 and Icon, both of which are only available in black and white, as opposed to the colorful spectrum of the phones available on other carriers.

That awkward moment when you come to an Android forum to complain about Windows updates.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Expect that you will never, ever, hear anything confirmed officially. Updates always come when they are ready, and specific dates will never be promised. That's just the way it's been.

I realized that no official word was coming, but I wanted to see if any of reps might have gotten wind of some inside skinny on what they've heard. Small chance of that, but then again, how did I ever get the info from that 1st rep? At the time it didn't sound like he was pulling something out of thin air. As the days went by, obviously I was leaning towards thinking he was mistaken or misinformed, so that's why I was grasping for another rep to "confirm".

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I didn't call you ignorant. And your most recent comment had nothing to do with your previous comment (which was ignorant) and nothing to do with my response either. But thanks for the useless rant .. I guess.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

Clueless. Totally clueless.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Expect that you will never, ever, hear anything confirmed officially. Updates always come when they are ready, and specific dates will never be promised. That's just the way it's been.

Except they actually have promised the VOLTE update before the end of the year. That is the first time I've ever heard them promise a date.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
C'mon man. I have always tried to promote this site as a place to get useful info. Please stop.

Agreed. It sucks when you're trying to get, give and share useful info and people keep throwing in their ignorant Verizon hate. I wish it would stop.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm afraid to get caught in the crossfire, but I have definitely seen a lot of persistent VZW hatred on many forums. That doesn't mean that none of it's warranted, but I just want to say that it's sad how much this seems to taint so many people's perceptions of the Droid Turbo. Hopefully after these reasonably-timely updates, some of those folks will change their tune a bit about the phone. Unfortunately it'll take a lot more to change perceptions of VZW.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm afraid to get caught in the crossfire, but I have definitely seen a lot of persistent VZW hatred on many forums. That doesn't mean that none of it's warranted, but I just want to say that it's sad how much this seems to taint so many people's perceptions of the Droid Turbo. Hopefully after these reasonably-timely updates, some of those folks will change their tune a bit about the phone. Unfortunately it'll take a lot more to change perceptions of VZW.

Don't worry, there's no crossfire here. I've said my peace.
There is a lot of Verizon hatred. Some of it is warranted but a vast, vast majority of it isn't. Anytime there is anything people don't like and Verizon is any way related people go straight to the Verizon bashing(see the earlier post blaming Verizon for not giving exact dates for an OS update even though no one ever does-no OEMs(except for HTC, who always misses those dates that they give), no carriers, no OS makers ever give out exact dates for updates, but the comment goes straight to bashing Verizon for it). Even when Verizon does things that any rational person would like, people go straight to the bashing Verizon. Verizon is by no means perfect, but most of the hatred for them is 100% pure ignorance.

lkovach

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Just got the Advanced Calling update last night and I was able to surf the web and talk on the phone at the same time

Posted via the Android Central App

hmg2015

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
After I got the advanced calling update the phone has been flashing on and off and when I turn it off and back off it will not play the sound or little droid thing. Can anyone help me on fixing this?

Doc Oc

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm really not sure why there is so much VZW hatred. I've been with VZW for about 15 years and I've never had one problem with them whether with the phone service or customer service. They are more expensive, sure. But there are plenty of options out there if you desire to pay less. BMW makes way more expensive cars, why don't people hate them? The reality is that VZW still has the best coverage and most reliable service. That is what you pay for. If you don't care about that, then go with an MVNO or T-Mobile which is getting to be a better option. You can't hate a company for being expensive. The only thing that bothers me about VZW is the upgrade fee. That needs to disappear. I also own the Turbo and think it's an amazing phone. Probably one of if not the best phones on the market.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
After I got the advanced calling update the phone has been flashing on and off and when I turn it off and back off it will not play the sound or little droid thing. Can anyone help me on fixing this?

I believe that after the update, if the phone is on silent/vibrate, then the reboot is now silent.

If you are having weird flashing/on/off issues, then I would suggest you do a cache reset - boot into bootloader, then recovery, then clear the cache partition.
Here's detailed instructions: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/102367/p/30,6720,9277

jjjmmm

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks, I just talked to Motorola tech support and thought I'd give it a shot in the dark and ask. The guy told me that the Lollipop update for the Droid Turbo is scheduled for Dec 16-17. He said it after a brief pause - seemed to me like he was looking it up, as opposed to pulling an estimate out of thin air.

I'm guessing this won't be happening, since there have been no soak tests of Lollipop yet.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm guessing this won't be happening, since there have been no soak tests of Lollipop yet.

Yeah, sadly, I tried to confirm with Motorola and VZW reps several times since but no one bit. I did try to add caveats and post follow-ups so that I wasn't building people up to get letdown. But I'm disappointed.

Late next month was the last rumor I read on XDA from a guy that knew a guy that knew a guy that knew a guy that worked for VZW :)

Ha ha, yeah, I've been keeping up with that thread as well. I thought I read that the guy said his VZW buddy told him Feb? At any rate, if Lollipop is not being released for 1+ month, I certainly hope that we jump straight to 5.0.1.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Does Motorola *always* soak test their updates? (serious question, this is the first Moto phone I've owned in a while).

Even if so, what if that date of Dec 16-17 for the soak test itself?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still skeptical...I'm not sure why VZW would push the "Advanced calling features" update last week if they were gonna turn around and release 5.0 a few days later...seems like they would have just waited and bundled all that together....but who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.