Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
^^ I agree, that's logical so Jan seems more likely. I don't know if they always do soak tests, but certainly they would for an update this huge. I'm down with a sudden announcement of a soak test. Keep hope alive!

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Having done a few soak test for Moto the latest was the shortest one I ever saw. The Droisd MAXX soak for HD calling was longer as there was a problem and they had to fix a few things. Maybe the latest HD release set some things up for 5.01. I would rather wait for a few days or weeks for the issues and bugs to get squashed and have a nice seamless update instead of trying to figure out what is wrong. Sit back relax and we will get it soon enough.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah no rush here really. I have L on my Nexus 7 and after seeing some neat graphical changes, it's really not dramatic.
In fact I'm still not sure if I like the notifications and swipe up down again business. It runs ok as it did previously and the battery is about the
same near as I can tell. Eh.. I can wait.

Jameson Gagnon

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I have L on my nexus 7 also- 2012 model, and it's good. BUT no way near as good as L on my Nexus 5, which is way better than KitKat, so I would image it should be spectacular on the Turbo! I want it now!!Lol:)

Daniel Padilla

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Not sure where PC Advisor got their information. According to them: "Droid Turbo will be able to upgrade to Android Lollipop. Motorola says expect it by the end of 2014". I'd post the link but don't have enough posts yet. Article is titled "When will my phone get Android Lollipop". I highly doubt we'd see back to back updates like that, but you never know.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
^^ I saw that as well, but I figured that they were confusing it with the VoLTE update, which both VZW and Motorola had said would be here by the end of the year. I don't think I've seen a statement from either of them saying Lollipop will also be here in 2014.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I talked to a guy who knows a guy who works at Verizon, and this guy says "What's lollipop"? OK not a true story, but I did talk to someone from the call center that I know, and she tells me that no one that you will talk to on the phone from Verizon will have any idea of dates for ota's. It's just not told to them. In fact nerds like us are usually finding out before customer service reps do. So there's that.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aaron Frost

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I just got an OTA update on my Verizon Turbo. Still on KitKat. The update was way to small to have been the Lollipop release. The "about phone" section confirms that it is still on Android 4.4.4. So... I am losing hope.

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Why are you losing hope? We WILL get 5.0, its just going to take a little bit of time.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I just got an OTA update on my Verizon Turbo. Still on KitKat. The update was way to small to have been the Lollipop release. The "about phone" section confirms that it is still on Android 4.4.4. So... I am losing hope.

Keep ya' chin up! That's the VoLTE update, which is not bad at all. Also, from looking at the threads of other phones that have gotten Lollipop 5.0 (EDIT: some of which are dealing with massive headaches from it), I'd honestly rather not rush into it. So now I'm realistically hoping for 5.0.1 with its bug fixes in Jan.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Like the others said dude, we're not missing out in anything significant. If you want your phone to look like lollipop, you can customize Nova launcher pretty close.

As it stands, this phone is now near perfect. I'd rather wait for a fully baked and well done update than a rushed buggy one.

Posted via the Android Central App

slidesJ

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Like the others said dude, we're not missing out in anything significant. If you want your phone to look like lollipop, you can customize Nova launcher pretty close.

Totally disagree with this. If the only thing significant in this release was material design and notifications, this release wouldn't near what it is. Things like full Bluetooth LE support, 'guest' mode, access to RAW camera images, improvement in face unlock, trusted locations, trusted devices/Smart Lock, the way programs are handled running in the background, the ability to remove junk apps (not just disable them), etc.

This is why I am looking forward to Lollipop, as well as the look and feel. JMO

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Totally disagree with this. If the only thing significant in this release was material design and notifications, this release wouldn't near what it is. Things like full Bluetooth LE support, 'guest' mode, access to RAW camera images, improvement in face unlock, trusted locations, trusted devices/Smart Lock, the way programs are handled running in the background, the ability to remove junk apps (not just disable them), etc.

This is why I am looking forward to Lollipop, as well as the look and feel. JMO

I am looking forward to the performance boost for some of the reasons you mention.

I am not looking forward to the new look at all. Blech. Too light. Too bright.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
the ability to remove junk apps (not just disable them),

Just FYI, while the ability to do this for OEMs is available, there is nothing forcing them to install the bloatware in a way that can be uninstalled. They can just keep doing what they're doing now (and very likely Verizon will with Verizon's own branded phone).

slidesJ

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
there is nothing forcing them to install the bloatware in a way that can be uninstalled. They can just keep doing what they're doing now (and very likely Verizon will with Verizon's own branded phone).

My understanding is that will change with Lollipop. Currently those apps (bloatware) are installed in the system partition, which makes it difficult to get access to remove them. As part of the architecture change in Lollipop the system partition will be unable for bloatware and they will be treated as all other apps.

Now I am sure Verizon, ATT, etc are all trying to figure out a way to bypass the change.

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
My understanding is that will change with Lollipop. Currently those apps (bloatware) are installed in the system partition, which makes it difficult to get access to remove them. As part of the architecture change in Lollipop the system partition will be unable for bloatware and they will be treated as all other apps.

Now I am sure Verizon, ATT, etc are all trying to figure out a way to bypass the change.
If this is true some of the Moto X users should be able to confirm.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

See this. http://beta.techradar.com/news/soft...asier-to-uninstall-carriers-junk-apps-1270998

That feature is optional. It's useful for companies like T-Mobile; unlocked phones brought to the network can have tmob apps installed when you authenticate. For a carrier exclusive phone like the turbo, though, I suspect Verizon will just insist on apps on the system partition, or that the oem partition be made read only, deletes not allowed.

We'll see when we see, though...

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

The ability to do this is already apparently available in KitKat, it's just that the carriers don't use it. It is true that it's easier for them to use it in Lollipop, but as others have said, that doesn't mean there's any reason to believe they will. Remember, bloatware isn't there for our convenience...

Status
Not open for further replies.