Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppal1981

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I had 5 updates to apps this morning when I turned my Turbo on and 3 of them said they were optimized for lollipop. Maybe were getting close?

I've been seeing that for a while on updates. It's generalized as the app developers want to make sure there software is ready or will fix issues on upgraded devices. Not gaining hope

Posted via the Android Central App

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if 5.1 comes out now to Turbo ... I dont see why theyd waste time on 5.0 now that X has it, maybe they were waiting for 5.1 to ready it for turbo then back port to X

RAdamHadAMeal

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah but that's as of yesterday. It's ready for our hardware. That's the important part. Droid is Verizon's baby. It'll be soon.

Ch4dders

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Yeah but that's as of yesterday. It's ready for our hardware. That's the important part. Droid is Verizon's baby. It'll be soon.

My thoughts exactly... If the Maxx is getting it, then it's ready for the Turbo. Just need to hold tight for the time being.

Posted from 64GB BN Droid Turbo

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. There is no reason whatsoever for Moto to make sure Lollipop is running properly before they update the Turbo. Who cares about quality? They should just work on "First!"

Their claim to fame has been getting it out quicker than the rest. If the Moto X can run it than there's no reason the Turbo is this delayed. AND let me reiterate, Samsung... Wow...

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Their claim to fame has been getting it out quicker than the rest. If the Moto X can run it than there's no reason the Turbo is this delayed. AND let me reiterate, Samsung... Wow...

So you want to just ignore the fact that every phone that has gotten the lollipop update has numerous threads about the bugs they're experiencing? You may not realize this, but the X is a different phone than the Turbo, so to say there's no reason the Turbo doesn't have it is ridiculous at best. We just don't know what the reason is. And let me reiterate, Samsung...has problems with their lollipop update...wow...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Their claim to fame has been getting it out quicker than the rest.

This is DEFINITELY not true for the Droids. Last year's Droid's KitKat update was unusually fast - and was buggy, some pretty awful ones, that weren't patched for more than 6 months. Motorola, though, was relatively transparent about the updates (which Samsung has never been) and was holding off for many reasons - Verizon's priorities (they wanted a very minor roaming update pushed first, which affected a very small number of customers traveling to a specific area in Canada, if I remember right), Google's quick patching of KitKat to 4.4.3 and then to 4.4.4 because of Heartbleed and some other bugs, etc.

Kudos to Samsung for getting 5.0 out, kudos to Moto and Verizon for holding off until it's right.

If getting updates ASAP is important to you, though, you bought the wrong phone. Buy an iPhone or buy a Nexus phone next time.

BTW, the Turbo is more like a Nexus 6 than a Moto X, as far as hardware goes.

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This is DEFINITELY not true for the Droids. Last year's Droid's KitKat update was unusually fast - and was buggy, some pretty awful ones, that weren't patched for more than 6 months. Motorola, though, was relatively transparent about the updates (which Samsung has never been) and was holding off for many reasons - Verizon's priorities (they wanted a very minor roaming update pushed first, which affected a very small number of customers traveling to a specific area in Canada, if I remember right), Google's quick patching of KitKat to 4.4.3 and then to 4.4.4 because of Heartbleed and some other bugs, etc.

Kudos to Samsung for getting 5.0 out, kudos to Moto and Verizon for holding off until it's right.

If getting updates ASAP is important to you, though, you bought the wrong phone. Buy an iPhone or buy a Nexus phone next time.

BTW, the Turbo is more like a Nexus 6 than a Moto X, as far as hardware goes.

the Nexus phones received these updates long ago and are getting if not already 5.0.2 all versions that comes out are buggy, thats why they are called updates. If the turbo gets an update and its buggy, so be it, Motorola/Verizon will just have to push out the following update faster instead of perfecting it. By the time they perfect it and push it out to the Turbo's, Google is already 2 updates ahead. So I call [Removed by Moderator] on this. My 3 year old Nexus 4 received 5.0.1 MONTHS AGO and runs flawless.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Talked to a friend yesterday who got the update on his S5 and he's very unhappy. Says it killed his battery. Said he barely makes it past noon without having to recharge now.

I'll wait till it's right.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It seems that for every person that wants it within a few days of release (as ridiculous as that now seems), there is a person who wants to wait until it's right (probably because they have been burned before, and when it's buggy it takes months to get a new update) and a person who is upset after the release because they liked the phone the way it was. The OEMs can't get it right with at least two of those three people, and sometimes all three.

Also, it seems clear by now that Google's initial release is a beta version, every single time. Even last year when they provided a developer preview after Google I/O, the full release was buggy. Google could do a much better job of releasing Android updates - as Apple does, with multiple beta releases before the full release (and even Apple's first releases are usually problematic.)

This is worse than computer OS updates. At least with those you can go back to an old version if the new one is problematic.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Ill be honest I cant wait for lollipop, but at the same time. who in the world wants their freaking phone to be buggy as hell? Not motorola. THATS why its taking forever. They want it to be the best when it comes out. Stop all your crying and wait like the rest of us for a GOOD non buggy release!

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Let's see, Google owned moto=fast updates.
Lenovo owns moto= just wait, waiting, waiting.......
Oh yea just wait it's going to be perfect? No bugs? No glitches? 4 months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2