Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(20073)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Ill be honest I cant wait for lollipop, but at the same time. who in the world wants their freaking phone to be buggy as hell? Not motorola. THATS why its taking forever. They want it to be the best when it comes out. Stop all your crying and wait like the rest of us for a GOOD non buggy release!

The update comes from Verizon not Motorola that's why it's taking so long.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Last year was an anomaly with the Droid series (and even then the patch to a buggy 4.4 release came more than 6 months later.) This year's Moto X (on Verizon) was one of the first non-Google phones to get lollipop, as last year's Moto X was the first to get KitKat. The G and now E have also received updates.

The issue is not Motorola/Lenovo, at least this year.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

And Verizon is many times faster than AT&T, since AT&T hasn't rolled it out to their Moto X yet, while Verizon rolled it out to their Moto X what seems like ages ago.

slidesJ

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
So I posted this over at the motorola forums, thought I would post it here as well, just some humor while we wait

OK, so one of my favorite all time movies is My Cousin Vinny (20th Century Fox), so a particular scene seem related to this conversation. Thought a little spoof was in order for some folks here. (in my best Brooklyn accent)

Turbo Owner: (pacing back and forth)

Motorola/VZW: “What’s the matter with you?

Turbo Owner: “I don’t know”

M/VZW: “You’re acting like you are nervous or something.”

TO: “Well I am, you want to know what I am nervous about? I am in the dark here about all of this development crap. I have no idea what’s going on, alls I know is you’re screwing up and I can’t help you”

M/VZW: “You registered with the MFN, didn’t you?”

TO: “Oh, Motorola/VZW, I’m watching you go down in flames, and you’re bringing me with you and I can’t do anything about it.”

M/VZW: “And?"

TO: “I hate to bring it up because I know you have enough pressure on you already, but we agreed the turbo would get 5.0 Lollipop, when I bought it

Meanwhile 4 months later, my niece’s Samsung, the daughter of my sister is getting 5.0, my impatience is ticking like this (stomping) and the way this is going, I ain’t never getting lollipop!”

vinny.png

For those not familiar with the movie and this scene (YouTube link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o21mTbkaTw0

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually to be correct verizon just approves the update. It's motorola and motorola servers that will push the update. Yes Verizon's process is slow but it does seem moto may be being slow this time around too. Who knows though

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Actually to be correct verizon just approves the update. It's motorola and motorola servers that will push the update. Yes Verizon's process is slow but it does seem moto may be being slow this time around too. Who knows though

boy we are getting technical here, you are correct also. in the end, verizon is the one that pushes it out.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
boy we are getting technical here, you are correct also. in the end, verizon is the one that pushes it out.

Perhaps the best wording is that Verizon approves and then schedules the update. Motorola only creates the update and submits it for approval and then pushes it out when told to. They have no control over when it happens other than that - and none of us know the status of the Turbo update at this time.

It's possible that Motorola is still working on it; it's possible that it's long since done and Verizon is holding onto it. The only people who know are unable or unwilling to tell us.

MattRevs

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
"Lollipop update for Moto E and Moto Maxx or DROID Turbo smartphones will roll out in the following weeks. It said that the update will first be rolled out to some "small test groups." It will then be rolled out to more users worldwide when no major bugs are found." - The news.

This was posted 2 days ago. I dont know about you guys, but I'm sure they told us this MANY weeks ago (like 17).

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
"Lollipop update for Moto E and Moto Maxx or DROID Turbo smartphones will roll out in the following weeks. It said that the update will first be rolled out to some "small test groups." It will then be rolled out to more users worldwide when no major bugs are found." - The news.

This was posted 2 days ago. I dont know about you guys, but I'm sure they told us this MANY weeks ago (like 17).

The only people you can trust for timing are from Verizon, and they have announced nothing.

There will almost surely be a soak test for this, and it will be on the front page of Android Central - it always has been. Not in forum posts - people will lie in those.

Anyway, when you see that, you can safely assume that the update is probably a week or two away.

Billy Bixby

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I've heard from an anonymous trustworthy source that it is looking like early may for Turbo Lollipop. Cant wait..!

Posted via the Android Central App

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I hope they take their time and wait till late October to work out all those bugs. Because the longer time it takes means there will be less bugs, plus Verizon.
/sarcasm

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I can wait until May, even though that seems longer than necessary to release a reasonably bug free OS, corporate hoop jumping included. October? If it takes that long to deliver the OS for stability reasons, I call shenanigans. It doesn't take a year to work the kinks out of a new phone version bump. In the end, I'll use the phrase I hate: "It is what it is". We'll get it when they give it to us.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
You guys/gals worry too much about L .... .. What difference does it make, whether it's March, May, or October, there will be problems. Until the OS is released in the real world, with real life usage, some problems won't be discovered.

Sent using Tapatalk

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Here's my guess. Motorola and Verizon are working on a Nexus 6 with a 4000 mah battery. They will release that first with lollipop and then after that the Turbo gets it. Who really knows. It makes sense if they want to sell the 6 with the 4000mah battery. Sheep will buy it. Then they push out lollipop for the masses.
I've got lollipop on my 10 and 7. 10 works great but the 7 is almost unusable. I can wait for the Turbo to get it. I like it how it is now.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
You guys/gals worry too much about L .... .. What difference does it make, whether it's March, May, or October, there will be problems. Until the OS is released in the real world, with real life usage, some problems won't be discovered.

Sent using Tapatalk
Hear here. It's not like the phone sucks right now. I have no problem with this phone just the way it is. Best I've ever owned. I'd run GingerBrownieFrenchFry on it if that's what we had to work with.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.