Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatabaseMX

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
"Don't let him/her fool you, no one that USES their Turbo gets 4 days of battery life. Only way to get 4 days is if the phone is turned off at times or using Airplane mode often."
Actually bro (or broette) ... I 'use' my phone daily and whether you believe me or not is of no consequence. And for what possible reason would I have to 'fool' anyone (see my smart phone history comment below) ?

"
Then you guys are probably like my dad... uses a $1200 computer to play solitaire and look at his Facebook page. :)"
Thing is ... I have three laptops, so I am rarely away from a laptop (read: yeah, I need to get a life). So, if I need to stream video, play games (like match.com ha ha) or any other battery sucking activity ... I will probably do it on a laptop. BUT ... it's nice to know that I could ... do it on my super smart phone if desired. So, it's mainly voice/text, open a few apps, check stocks, gNews, etc., and so on. Of course if I start taking pictures or open SigAlert or gMaps etc., then the rate of discharge increases... to be expected.

"
Seriously, even if you use the battery only 25% per day it's better to charge it daily most of the time and maybe once a week or two bring it down to 25%. Batteries like lots of small charges better than fewer big charges. The battery pack lasts longer when it does a small charge most of the time. "
Clearly, there is an endless number of conflicting scenarios on how, when, why (et al) to charge a Lithium Ion battery. Especially "
Batteries like lots of small charges better than fewer big charges." Many people say just the opposite. Trust me ... I really don't now.

"
DatabaseMX has already admitted to being a light user, with low screen brightness and barely any actual use (has yet to post screen shots though from what I can see)."
Thank you! Screenshots ... so many shots, so little time :-(

"
Its NOT a contest on how long you can stretch out your battery between charges. :)"
It is a contest ... did you not get the memo ? I thought you had a smart phone :)

In the last 12 months, I came up the phone food chain as follows:
LG EnV Touch - horrible battery life and endless other issues. I had six different units since 2009.
Nokia Lumia Icon WinPhone - major, well documented 'sudden battery drain' syndrome)
HTC ONE (M8) WinPhone - much better battery life and w/o issues per se than Icon.
And finally - as of Dec 2014 ... the Droid Turbo. So ... compared to these other phones, to say I am elated with the Turbo battery life would be the understatement of the year :)
And the good news is that ... I am no longer afraid to use my phone full on (like you guys do) - if desired - without fear of sudden rapid battery drain or similar issues, like I was with the phones mentioned above.

"
1. Are you happy with your turbo and it's operation?
2. Do you realize that when you get this update your phone probably will be buggy?
3 so enjoy your current bug free phone for when you get the update you are going to complain"
I'm not sure who this was directed at, but if me ... then wow ... you must be some kind of smart phone update visionary?
And as noted ... I *already* got the 21.44.12 update last night. So far, no ill effects that I can deduce. But, I have not checked everything out yet.

= = =

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, even if you use the battery only 25% per day it's better to charge it daily most of the time and maybe once a week or two bring it down to 25%. Batteries like lots of small charges better than fewer big charges. The battery pack lasts longer when it does a small charge most of the time. "[/I]
Clearly, there is an endless number of conflicting scenarios on how, when, why (et al) to charge a Lithium Ion battery. Especially "[/COLOR]Batteries like lots of small charges better than fewer big charges." Many people say just the opposite. Trust me ... I really don't now.

Battery University, how to prolong lithium-ion based batteries: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

DatabaseMX

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Battery University, how to prolong lithium-ion based batteries: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

So, the first thing that jumps out at me regarding this article is ... it's almost 4.5 years old, noting the first comment was 10-21-2010! I'm pretty sure a LOT has changed in the Lithium Ion battery world since then.
Then .. right at the top we have "manufacturers take a conservative approach and specify the life of most Li-ion between 300 and 500 discharge/charge cycles."
This would seem to debunk the notion that " it's better to charge it daily most of the time and maybe once a week or two bring it down to 25%." ... as that would fast forward the number of charge cycles.

===

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, even if you use the battery only 25% per day it's better to charge it daily most of the time and maybe once a week or two bring it down to 25%. Batteries like lots of small charges better than fewer big charges. The battery pack lasts longer when it does a small charge most of the time.

Battery life with these phones I've found is greatly dependent on signal strength. If you have great mobile signal and use wifi a lot you'll get a lot more battery life than I do, because my mobile signal is weak almost everywhere I stay. It's ironically only when I'm driving around that I get good signal. When I visit family members I get much better battery life than I get at home.

Lithium ion batteries are supposed to not require conditioning or cycle maintenance.

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
So, the first thing that jumps out at me regarding this article is ... it's almost 4.5 years old, noting the first comment was 10-21-2010! I'm pretty sure a LOT has changed in the Lithium Ion battery world since then.
Then .. right at the top we have "manufacturers take a conservative approach and specify the life of most Li-ion between 300 and 500 discharge/charge cycles."
This would seem to debunk the notion that " it's better to charge it daily most of the time and maybe once a week or two bring it down to 25%." ... as that would fast forward the number of charge cycles.

===

Yes, it's an old article. However, nothing has changed about the chemistry of lithium ion batteries at all.

A charge cycle is when a total of 100% charging has happened. So, when you discharge to 25% four times and do a full charge, you've done three charge cycles. If in the same time you've discharged down to 75% and charged to 100% twelve times, that's still three charge cycles. (12 times 1/4 charge is 3 cycles.)

And what the research shows in that article is that frequent small charges make the battery pack last for more total charge cycles before the battery pack has degraded when it will no longer hold a useful charge.

Nicad and other older battery technologies used to have a "memory effect", where a physical coating would block full discharge of the battery if you discharged and charged to a similar, non full discharge every time. That's why people think it's better to use a battery as much as possible - they are remembering problems with older battery technologies. Again, as I said, it turns out that lithium ion does not have that problem and that long term battery use is better with more frequent smaller charges.

OK, all that said - if you are only draining the battery 25% per day, you'll be fine. You hardly use the battery anyway so by the time you notice worse battery life (it will drain, say, 40 per day with the same usage, because capacity is reduced) you'll be ready for a new phone upgrade anyway.

DatabaseMX

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
"nothing has changed about the chemistry of lithium ion batteries at all."
Well the chemistry may have not changed, but the technology in how the chemistry is used may have changed.

"
A charge cycle is when a total of 100% charging has happened.
So, when you discharge to 25% four times and do a full charge, you've done three charge cycles.
If in the same time you've discharged down to 75% and charged to 100% twelve times, that's still three charge cycles. (12 times 1/4 charge is 3 cycles.) "

Guess I'm not following your math.
100% >> 75% then recharging to 100% ... daily in my case would be 365 charge cycles in a year.
100% >> 25% then recharging to 100% - every 3 days would be approx 122 charges cycles in a year.
Based on the article ....
:the life of most Li-ion between 300 and 500 discharge/charge cycles." ...
waiting until it gets down to 25% to do a recharge cycle is going to result in a low fewer cycles per year. I'm certainly not an expert in this subject nor am I saying you are wrong, but as noted already - I've seen several other articles / posts that state to not continually recharge.

" because capacity is reduced) you'll be ready for a new phone upgrade anyway."

Actually, that's the scam of non-replaceable batteries - forcing you to upgrade (no doubt costing you some $$$) every 1-2 years or so - because the battery is worn out. That's BS. As it is right now, I would have no problem keeping this Turbo for 3-4 years. But that won't happen because it's unlikely the battery will last that long :-(

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I saw an article (I think on this forum somewhere) that it is actually not that big of a deal to replace the battery in the Turbo. Just not quite as easy as popping the back off of older devices with the pop off door.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Guess I'm not following your math.
100% >> 75% then recharging to 100% ... daily in my case would be 365 charge cycles in a year.

You've used 25% of the battery when you've used the phone from full charge to 75%, so charging back to full is 1/4 of a charge cycle. In 365 days, that's about 91 charge cycles.

100% >> 25% then recharging to 100% - every 3 days would be approx 122 charges cycles in a year.

No. Each charge from 25% to full charge is 3/4 of a charge cycle. So, that's still the same 91 charge cycles in a year.

But, as that battery university article suggests, when the battery is regularly given higher charges (like from 0 to 100 one time rather than from 75 to 100 four times), it ends up with fewer charge cycles over its lifetime. So, again, lithium ion batteries respond better when they are charged smaller amounts more frequently.

Remember - a charge cycle is not the number of times you plug it in. A full charge cycle is when you have cumulatively charged a total of 100%. That's two charges from 50% to 100%, or charging from 65 to 90 four times, or charge from 25 to 100 once and 75 to 100 once.

DatabaseMX

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
"Remember - a charge cycle is not the number of times you plug it in. A full charge cycle is when you have cumulatively charged a total of 100%."
I see.
For due diligence, we should find a couple of other articles on the subject that collaborate the Battery University findings. I will look around.

davejavu_31

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone put any consideration into how to account for using your phone while charging, as far as how this affects counting the charging cycles?

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
hmm... I came here to see if anyone has news on the android L update.... but this appears to be a battery usage debate of recent?

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
hmm... I came here to see if anyone has news on the android L update.... but this appears to be a battery usage debate of recent?
That's because there is no Lollipop news!
After this latest update for about 2 or 3 days battery sucked but after a cache wipe and some settle in time battery back to what it was. All day no worries.

RAdamHadAMeal

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I come here to see of there's any news as well. All I ever see is people finding new ways to say "I'm sick of waiting" or "but bugs! I hate bugs". It's a straight up broken record in here.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
even though the battery is "sealed" in it is still usually very easily replaceable hen they go bad. I have done alot of research on different batteries and how to take care of them. Basically you don't want to go low and you don't want them hot. That's why I have a problem with the wireless charger, there is a specific inefficiency that causes heat as a by product. Also I let it run down to about 25% then charge everytime because in my experience plugging it in everytime you get a chance destroys the battery in a year.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
L update? Motogoogle=fast updates, motonovo =no update, say what you want we all have a last year's phone.
And battery stats? Really? It lasts all day.
What?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
L update? Motogoogle=fast updates, motonovo =no update, say what you want we all have a last year's phone.

The Moto X on Verizon was one of the first updated phones. It received the update in late November, I believe. So I don't think the issue is lenovo.

It seems to be a Verizon Droid issue. Verizon seems to care more about getting volte working than getting the os updated. Last year's quick Droid update (which was pretty buggy and went unpatched for about 6 months, by the way) seems to be an outlier.

jem9777

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I would say the fact that almost 4 months after this phone was released, and almost 4 months after Lollipop was released, the fact that we are in this thread talking about battery life says something about what our expectations should be toward Verizon and the new Motolenovo regarding software updates.

Karl Turbo

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I keep clicking on this thread for some intelligence on whether I should accept the latest update and all I see is a bunch of rambling on about battery life. Edit: I guess the update is not Lollipop.

:-*

Status
Not open for further replies.