Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishlak

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
If I upset anyone , I am truly sorry, I personally am just tired of all the complaining, we as turbo owners should feel great knowing that Motorola and Verizon have not pushed a unstable o.s update to us and our devices work great for the most part.

Posted via the Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
If I upset anyone , I am truly sorry, I personally am just tired of all the complaining, we as turbo owners should feel great knowing that Motorola and Verizon have not pushed a unstable o.s update to us and our devices work great for the most part.

Relax. No one is upset and even if they were who cares. Not everyone will agree with each other. :)

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

Here, here... A great post! Why would anyone be in a hurry to get an update that will make themselves more frustrated then waiting for said update? I have Lollipop on my N7 2013 and though it isn't too bad it does have a few annoying bugs. I'll wait for Moto and Verizon to get us something less buggy.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I remember the fiasco when the Razr Maxx HD went from ICS to JB. Made the phone almost unusable.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Not being a phone geek, I guess I don't understand the obsession with getting LP. My Turbo that's running 4.4.4 is pretty rock solid as it relates to what I do. Who the shell wants a buggy software released that will cause issues?

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Not being a phone geek, I guess I don't understand the obsession with getting LP. My Turbo that's running 4.4.4 is pretty rock solid as it relates to what I do. Who the shell wants a buggy software released that will cause issues?
Because 95% of the time those issues arise because of people who don't factory reset after the update.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 rockin 5.0.1

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Because 95% of the time those issues arise because of people who don't factory reset after the update.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 rockin 5.0.1

Why in the world would anyone want to perform a factory reset, especially on this phone, without root. I've never heard that doing a complete wipe was part of the upgrade process. Does Verizon/Motorola document this as a step that's required?

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Why in the world would anyone want to perform a factory reset, especially on this phone, without root. I've never heard that doing a complete wipe was part of the upgrade process. Does Verizon/Motorola document this as a step that's required?

Because it runs so much better. I believe it's called a Clean install.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

No, but this had been a long time rule of thumb for major android updates. The oems prepare in place OTA updates that allows you to run without a factory data reset but I've always, always planned to do one, and I've always found that my phone is somehow buggy after am update until I do one.

This goes for ios devices, too. My last two major updates on my iPad always were buggy until I did a reset and restore. Credit to Apple for creating a great restore process for ios. I think android will have this going forward from Lollipop.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I have no desire to perform a factory reset on my Turbo. Just too much damn work getting this setup back to the way is was. I'll keep my fingers crossed that LP is still quite some time off for the Turbo and that I can delay the upgrade for some period of time.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree it is crazy to have to do a factory reset just for an update. I use my phone for work and have several apps such as Touchdown for email and RSA secure id that would require my IT department to help me reinstall. This, plus getting all my other settings back could take days. I've never done a reset on any of my devices and never had problems. I also don't put a ton of apps on my phone as I think that causes most of the problems.

MattRevs

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I'm sure I'm not the first one to find this, and I'm sure there's probably another thread, but its about the Moto Turbo release in India.
Along with a basic description, the news also hints that Motorola has possibly already finished Lollipop for the turbo.

Here's an excerpt from the post:

"The device will come with Android 5.0 Lollipop out of the box, and both Ballistic Nylon and Kevlar Fiber versions will be available for purchase in India."

Looks like overseas Motorola/Verizon is way ahead of their game. What's going on in the US?

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Assuming they backed up everything on the device beforehand ... right?

Backup or not, doing a full factory reset on any un-rooted device is going to be a pain and hours getting things back to where you started.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Backup or not, doing a full factory reset on any un-rooted device is going to be a pain and hours getting things back to where you started.

I must be lucky or fast because a factory reset and full setup takes me under an hour. Not making light of the situation but as I said guess I'm lucky!

irishlak

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Who needs lollipop when you can have 20 % battery left and 6 apps opened and pull off this benchmark on antutu 4759.jpg

irishlak

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Oh and yeah I recommend a full reset of the device after a major update, it allows your device to properly sync all apps and programs 100% thus improving the over all performance of the phone. Plus any apps that need to be updated but have not been updated because the google play market says they are up to date will update giving you a better experience. Remember your runtime will be ART so apps may misbehave.

irishlak

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Oh and one more thing lol I hate doing it too it is a pain in the **** to reset the device and watch hockey at the same time.

irishlak

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
It is a good sign that India is getting to test out lollipop , reports are saying that lollipop is being sent out by moto to a small group of moto turbo users . we in the united states may not have to deal with a soak test , all the bugs will get worked out in India then it should get pushed to american users. At least we don't have to be the lab rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781