Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh and yeah I recommend a full reset of the device after a major update, it allows your device to properly sync all apps and programs 100% thus improving the over all performance of the phone. Plus any apps that need to be updated but have not been updated because the google play market says they are up to date will update giving you a better experience. Remember your runtime will be ART so apps may misbehave.

Posted via the Android Central App

I understand the risks of not doing a reset with a major update but I have a number of apps I refuse to update, due to either increased permissions or performance problems in newer versions and I absolutely hate having to choose to either stop using an app or to accept unwanted permissions/performance issues. If there's a simple way to install older versions of apps after a reset I'd like to hear about it.

Posted via the Turbo

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Backup or not, doing a full factory reset on any un-rooted device is going to be a pain and hours getting things back to where you started.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.
Why is it taking u people hours to set your phones back up?? When I rooted and flashed LP I had my phone back to normal in about 20 minutes lol. And I have over 150 apps.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 rockin 5.0.1

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I understand the risks of not doing a reset with a major update but I have a number of apps I refuse to update, due to either increased permissions or performance problems in newer versions and I absolutely hate having to choose to either stop using an app or to accept unwanted permissions/performance issues. Of there's a simple way to install older versions of apps after a reset I'd like to hear about it.

Posted via the Turbo
Google the apk and the version of it. 99% of the time somebody saved it. I just downloaded the app global outbreak and I got the version I had on my old LG escape from two years ago lol.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
My phone is set up in a way that backs up important folders to Dropbox as I use the phone so if I lose it or have to factory reset I can be back running all of my apps with my data in about an hour. Just from a disaster recovery point of view this is important to me.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Why is it taking u people hours to set your phones back up?? When I rooted and flashed LP I had my phone back to normal in about 20 minutes lol. And I have over 150 apps.

As I mentioned I use my phone for work and have several apps you can't just reinstall and a backup doesn't help as you have to get a "first time" user code anytime you reset. Plus I have 3 personal email accounts that seem to be finicky to set up again as I have to experiment with the ports and security settings each time to get them to work.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
My phone is set up in a way that backs up important folders to Dropbox as I use the phone so if I lose it or have to factory reset I can be back running all of my apps with my data in about an hour. Just from a disaster recovery point of view this is important to me.
How are you backing up data without root?

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Looks like 5.1 is heading out to Nexus devices shortly. This may be good news for us Turbo owners, as one of the added features was cross platform HD. I know it's wishful thinking, but maybe this is what vzw has been holding back from us for.
Yeah, I know, wish in one hand, crap in the other.........

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Please educate me. What is it about LP that's making the masses so anxious about getting the update?

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm not rooted but back up pretty much everything to Drive. All my pics back up automatically, Google Sheets and Docs live in Drive natively, all my texts (including attachments!) automatically backup to Drive every night (via SMS Backup and Restore), my task list (Task Free) syncs to Google Tasks which is automatically backed up, MyTracks automatically backs up my gps tracks, and several apps (aCar for example) let me backup to Drive manually (via push of a button, not drag and drop).

Oops - obligatory apology for going off on a tangent!

Posted via the Turbo

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I'll clarify - backing up data that is written to storage, like BeyondPod, my custom ringtones, settings for various apps that i use, including my launcher. If it's written to storage, I back it up to Dropbox. Everything else uses cloud stored data anyway.

I'd go into it more but don't want to anger all of the people who are upset that I'm not talking about the lollipop update in this thread...

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Google the apk and the version of it. 99% of the time somebody saved it. I just downloaded the app global outbreak and I got the version I had on my old LG escape from two years ago lol.

That sounds workable but tedious - I just counted and currently have 12 apps on my pending update list for the various reasons I mentioned above... it would take me a good bit of time to chase down all those apk's and sideload them!

Posted via the Turbo

Billy Bixby

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
The verizon cloud will not back up my contacts.... No idea why. That is the only thing that will suck for me... Manually entering hundreds of contacts.

irishlak

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm I seem to remember saying 5.1 was going to be the final product,followed shortly with a stay on the subject post in reply lol . I told you so na na na na lmao Verizon you may now update my turbo.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
That sounds workable but tedious - I just counted and currently have 12 apps on my pending update list for the various reasons I mentioned above... it would take me a good bit of time to chase down all those apk's and sideload them!

Posted via the Turbo
If you have a specific version of an application that you want to keep, and not replace with a newer version from the Play store, you can create your own apk file using ES File Explorer (an application that everyone should have anyway). In addition to being able to view the files on your phone, ES File Explorer has an "Application" button. Select it, and it will list all of your installed applications. Long press on any application, select "Backup", and it will create an apk on your phone. Location: /sd/backup/apps. Now you have an apk you can use to side load the application to another android device, and you can store on the cloud if you wish. This is a pretty convenient solution to your described situation as I am understanding it, and not very time consuming or complicated.

Reinstalling things like RSA software does require that you have your original information provided by your IT Team. If you saved you corporate e-mail with the instructions, you shoud have everything you need to get it back up and running. It's simply a matter of reinstalling the software, then opening a special seed file that you were provided with initially (usually via link). If you don't have it, you can always ask for it -- even if you AREN'T going to reset your phone, if you don't have this information, you should get it because your phone could become lost, broken, or you may have technical problems that FORCE you to factory reset. By being proactive, you have this information, whether or not you intend to factory reset after the LP upgrade or any other time.

If you use Apex or Nova as an alternative Launcher, you can back up your desktop and page layouts, so they can be restored after a factory reset, fairly painlessly.

Getting all of your mail accounts playing nice with each other is a whole 'nuther story. Yeah, that can be pain in the arse, and not only that, but setting it up again from scratch in LP may be an even bigger headache than when you did it in KK (or easier -- but I doubt it).

This isn't a post trying to twist your arm into "joining" those of us who always factory reset after a major OS update, but I did want you to know you have options, and that some of the road blocks may not be as difficult to surmount as you initially think. Planning in advance helps too <wink!>.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.