Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chidoro42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I have no desire to perform a factory reset on my Turbo. Just too much damn work getting this setup back to the way is was. I'll keep my fingers crossed that LP is still quite some time off for the Turbo and that I can delay the upgrade for some period of time.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64-gig from Tapatalk.

Couldn't agree more. I'll keep my rock solid 4.4 thank you very much. I can only see the downsides of getting it. "latest" w/out any useful functionality but plenty of bugs is a big pass in my book

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Based on my Nexus 7 with Lollipop, I see no real advantage. My Turbo is the most perfect phone I've ever owned and runs flawlessly. If 5.xx never comes it wouldn't bother me one whit. I love upgrades as much as anyone but as operating systems evolve, changes become more subtle. IMHO, most (perhaps not all) of the benefits of Lollipop is primarily "eye candy". As long as the phone runs equal to or better than 4.4.4, bring it on. If not, they can keep it.

Which it's supposed to, and I'm with you on that being my primary interest in it. Not much by way of the new features thrills me, and we already have the better version of active notifications with Moto's version.

Smoother and faster is always good, but I have no complaints with the Turbo currently.

Better battery life is always good, and I do feel like my battery life isn't maximized. It's better than my Droid Maxx was, but not enough better. Small quibble.

I want the camera to be as good as it should be. It's worse than my Droid Maxx by far in less than ideal circumstances (in which my Maxx gave me usable, even if not gallery worthy pics). Very frustrating. I took what I was getting using my Maxx and looked at the specs for the Turbo camera and figured, "sweet, this should be a noticable upgrade!" It's actually a noticable downgrade in a lot of situations. The Turbo takes great, noticably better pics than the Maxx when conditions are ideal. That doesn't happen often. I do still think this can be fixed via software. I know the camera app is a standalone in Play Storte, but promised advancements in Lollipop suggest to me the camera may be improved by the OS, too.

I'm up to here with the term "Material Design" and it's seemingly bong induced descriptions. "It's like pen and paper." What??? More basically, I like dark themes on everything I can get them on, and Lollipop is going 180 degrees the wrong way for my tastes.

It's coming eventually, so I'd just as soon have it and start getting used to it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not rooted but back up pretty much everything to Drive. All my pics back up automatically, Google Sheets and Docs live in Drive natively, all my texts (including attachments!) automatically backup to Drive every night (via SMS Backup and Restore), my task list (Task Free) syncs to Google Tasks which is automatically backed up, MyTracks automatically backs up my gps tracks, and several apps (aCar for example) let me backup to Drive manually (via push of a button, not drag and drop).

Oops - obligatory apology for going off on a tangent!

Posted via the Turbo

I'll clarify - backing up data that is written to storage, like BeyondPod, my custom ringtones, settings for various apps that i use, including my launcher. If it's written to storage, I back it up to Dropbox. Everything else uses cloud stored data anyway.

I'd go into it more but don't want to anger all of the people who are upset that I'm not talking about the lollipop update in this thread...

I don't necessarily think it's off topic or a tangent when the questions arise because of concerns people have about upgrading in the first place.

Another tip, if you use a 3rd party launcher, like Nova, you can also easily backup your desktop configs, which to me is one of the more tedious things to have to restore manually.

Personally, I've been looking forward to being able to use the "phone unlock" feature with my Chromebook, but it only works with 5.0+ devices...so I'm still patiently waiting...

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Reinstalling things like RSA software does require that you have your original information provided by your IT Team. If you saved you corporate e-mail with the instructions, you shoud have everything you need to get it back up and running. It's simply a matter of reinstalling the software, then opening a special seed file that you were provided with initially (usually via link). If you don't have it, you can always ask for it -- even if you AREN'T going to reset your phone, if you don't have this information, you should get it because your phone could become lost, broken, or you may have technical problems that FORCE you to factory reset. By being proactive, you have this information, whether or not you intend to factory reset after the LP upgrade or any other time.

FYI...At least for my company, the first time use code for apps such as RSA and Touchdown are only good for 24 hours. You can't ever reuse those codes again later. With that said I'm sure the reset may not be as horrible as I think, but still a big pain to reset all this stuff up.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
FYI...At least for my company, the first time use code for apps such as RSA and Touchdown are only good for 24 hours. You can't ever reuse those codes again later. With that said I'm sure the reset may not be as horrible as I think, but still a big pain to reset all this stuff up.
Interesting. That must be company configurable based on security policies of the particular company.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'll clarify - backing up data that is written to storage, like BeyondPod, my custom ringtones, settings for various apps that i use, including my launcher. If it's written to storage, I back it up to Dropbox. Everything else uses cloud stored data anyway.

I'd go into it more but don't want to anger all of the people who are upset that I'm not talking about the lollipop update in this thread...

Au contraire, I think your backup tips are very helpful for those reluctant to do a factory reset after getting Lollipop. I'm in the camp that believes a factory reset is incredibly helpful after a major update, and it seems like the vast majority of folks who have Lollipop and are quite happy with it did a reset afterward.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Which it's supposed to, and I'm with you on that being my primary interest in it. Not much by way of the new features thrills me, and we already have the better version of active notifications with Moto's version.

Smoother and faster is always good, but I have no complaints with the Turbo currently.

Better battery life is always good, and I do feel like my battery life isn't maximized. It's better than my Droid Maxx was, but not enough better. Small quibble.

I want the camera to be as good as it should be. It's worse than my Droid Maxx by far in less than ideal circumstances (in which my Maxx gave me usable, even if not gallery worthy pics). Very frustrating. I took what I was getting using my Maxx and looked at the specs for the Turbo camera and figured, "sweet, this should be a noticable upgrade!" It's actually a noticable downgrade in a lot of situations. The Turbo takes great, noticably better pics than the Maxx when conditions are ideal. That doesn't happen often. I do still think this can be fixed via software. I know the camera app is a standalone in Play Storte, but promised advancements in Lollipop suggest to me the camera may be improved by the OS, too.

I'm up to here with the term "Material Design" and it's seemingly bong induced descriptions. "It's like pen and paper." What??? More basically, I like dark themes on everything I can get them on, and Lollipop is going 180 degrees the wrong way for my tastes.

It's coming eventually, so I'd just as soon have it and start getting used to it.

L had no improvements to the camera for the 2014 X. I wouldn't expect anything to change in the camera department for the Turbo. For whatever reason moto isnt taking advantage of any of the new L camera stuff. If they would just fix the shutter lag though it would go a long way.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
If you have a specific version of an application that you want to keep, and not replace with a newer version from the Play store, you can create your own apk file using ES File Explorer (an application that everyone should have anyway). In addition to being able to view the files ion your phone, ES File Explorer has an "Application" button. Select it, and it will list all of your installed applications. Long press on any application, select "Backup", and it will create an apk on your phone. Location: /sd/backup/apps. Now you have an apk you can use to side load the application to another android device, and you can store on the cloud if you wish. This is a pretty convenient solution to your described situation as I am understanding it, and not very time consuming or complicated.

<wink!>.

I do have ES File Explorer and that is a FANTASTIC recommendation... thank you!

Posted via the Turbo

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
L had no improvements to the camera for the 2014 X. I wouldn't expect anything to change in the camera department for the Turbo. For whatever reason moto isnt taking advantage of any of the new L camera stuff. If they would just fix the shutter lag though it would go a long way.

Exactly. I'm not asking for new features, I just want it to work at worst as well as the Droid Maxx did...and it's reasonable to expect it to be better. Now, the Maxx got a camera update after I'd had it a while, and that update did make a noticeable difference in my pictures quality. I guess it's something they have to fully re-learn each time.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If you have a specific version of an application that you want to keep, and not replace with a newer version from the Play store, you can create your own apk file using ES File Explorer (an application that everyone should have anyway). In addition to being able to view the files on your phone, ES File Explorer has an "Application" button. Select it, and it will list all of your installed applications. Long press on any application, select "Backup", and it will create an apk on your phone. Location: /sd/backup/apps. Now you have an apk you can use to side load the application to another android device, and you can store on the cloud if you wish. This is a pretty convenient solution to your described situation as I am understanding it, and not very time consuming or complicated.

Reinstalling things like RSA software does require that you have your original information provided by your IT Team. If you saved you corporate e-mail with the instructions, you shoud have everything you need to get it back up and running. It's simply a matter of reinstalling the software, then opening a special seed file that you were provided with initially (usually via link). If you don't have it, you can always ask for it -- even if you AREN'T going to reset your phone, if you don't have this information, you should get it because your phone could become lost, broken, or you may have technical problems that FORCE you to factory reset. By being proactive, you have this information, whether or not you intend to factory reset after the LP upgrade or any other time.

If you use Apex or Nova as an alternative Launcher, you can back up your desktop and page layouts, so they can be restored after a factory reset, fairly painlessly.

Getting all of your mail accounts playing nice with each other is a whole 'nuther story. Yeah, that can be pain in the arse, and not only that, but setting it up again from scratch in LP may be an even bigger headache than when you did it in KK (or easier -- but I doubt it).

This isn't a post trying to twist your arm into "joining" those of us who always factory reset after a major OS update, but I did want you to know you have options, and that some of the road blocks may not be as difficult to surmount as you initially think. Planning in advance helps too <wink!>.
Thank you, this is very helpful. I have exactly that issue, and may be porting some "old" versions of software to a new phone tonight.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: As of March 11, 2015 Still No Lollipop Update!

yea it sucks. I don't know why they can't give an update as to why it is taking so long. they don't have to even give an eta but just a reason and a small update. I don't care if that reason is as generic as "we are having technical trouble" I still wanna hear it. Hopefully the reason is they are moving to 5.1

irishlak

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I went over to the Motorola page that shows you the devices that are getting lollipop. I noticed something different that struck me as positive. It used to say that this device will by updated to 5.0 lollipop pending partner support. It now says android 5 lollipop, I think we will see 5.1 I'm hoping that is a good sign.

Posted via the Android Central App

Empty J

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I went over to the Motorola page that shows you the devices that are getting lollipop. I noticed something different that struck me as positive. It used to say that this device will by updated to 5.0 lollipop pending partner support. It now says android 5 lollipop, I think we will see 5.1 I'm hoping that is a good sign.

Are you *certain* it previously said "Android 5.0"?

beeztrain

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
So the motoroloa turbo in India will come out of the box with lollipop? And we're still waiting why?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So the motoroloa turbo in India will come out of the box with lollipop? And we're still waiting why?

Different markets. Happens all of the time.

I understand the need to feel we always need the newest and greatest but stability is the most important. We don't need excessive battery drain and glitches. When we get Lollipop it should work without a hitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance