Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAdamHadAMeal

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I have an S5 running Lollipop. I hate the new recent tabs redesign because they incorporated open browser tabs into that interface. I strongly dislike having to out to leave the browser to access recent apps, sort through all my recent apps in order to find browser tabs. Much prefer having this stay inside the browser.

That is actually one of the major selling points for me. You should be able to turn that off in chrome settings. To each his own though.

Posted via the Android Central App

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
So we're gonna get 5.1 eventually. Cool. Just got it on my Nexus 10 and it looks good, so I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime, I'm gonna use my awesome Turbo on 4.4.4 and live my life.

Oh, I'm gonna unsubscribe from this thread, too. I thought I knew what the thread was about, but now it seems like just a debate without a purpose. I wish you all well, hope the best person wins (;-)), and I look forward to reading how well 5.1 goes for y'all when we get it! :)

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not about dates, it's about communication. People just like to know what's going on. They like companies that actively communicate with their users over companies that are silent. People don't care if a company has good or bad news, they just want to know what's going on. Which Motorola eventually did communicate but nobody would have been upset if Motorola communicated they were heading in this direction earlier.

Palm was actually pretty good at communicating with their users. We didn't always like what they had to say but part of the reason why they had such die hard fans was because they reached out to the community and made us feel like they heard us and surprisingly acted on our wishes on a few occasions.

Punit Soni did a good job when he was at Motorola.

Luciano is trying but he's different.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Doubt it.

Agreed. Who had the first device on Lollipop? The Verizon Moto X 2014. They had it months before any Samsung or HTC device did. The difference here is, the Turbo is a Verizon exclusive. It is available on one carrier, and even though it may be more advanced than the X, that is the reason it is not considered Motorola's flagship device.

I also disagree with everyone who's saying they need to be more transparent with us. Would I like it if they were? Sure, but there's a lot of things I'd like that doesn't happen. All these companies used to give us time frames on update and even device roll outs, and when they were forced to push them back for whatever reason, people lost it. And these weren't hard dates either, they were usually offered in quarters, like Q2 or Q3.

The problem is, it's not always their fault when they're forced to push back their timeframe. You've got Google issuing the core Android update, the OEM making whatever tweaks they need to, the carriers making whatever tweaks they need to. Then there may be bugs that get caught and now Google has to issue a new release which means everyone down the line has to try to work that in as well. Then there are security vulnerabilities that may come up that need to be fixed asap, and the same thing happens again. And with Lollipop, they've had one of the roughest roll outs in Android history. If these OEMS shot for a Q4 2014 release, almost no one would've hit it due to the issues with the stock version if Android. Yes the Moto X 2014 did get their update out quickly, even before many Nexus devices, but I've also heard of many issues with that update. They're even having many issues with Samsung's and HTC's rollout of LP.

To be realistic, transparency doesn't benefit these companies. Most users don't even know that there's an update for their phones until it pops up on their phone. The only ones who do know are those who read tech blogs and frequent the forums, and sorry but we're a spec compared to the total user base. They could be transparent as the day is long, and if they hit their targets we'd be content. But let them miss that target and you'd think the sky was falling. All of the sudden they're not as good as they used to be and are on a downward spiral. All it takes is one missed target in some cases and some people will lose faith in them completely. So in many cases, the advantages don't outweigh the disadvantages for them being more transparent with us.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Punit Soni did a good job when he was at Motorola.

Luciano is trying but he's different.

Part of the issue is beyond the individual sharing (or not) the info. He or she has to be allowed to by the company. I'm sure both of those guys you mention actually know way more than we do. That may seem like simply stating the obvious, but the point is that a corporate philosophy has to be in place that allows communication by those communicating (real or imagined).

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Most users don't even know that there's an update for their phones until it pops up on their phone. The only ones who do know are those who read tech blogs and frequent the forums, and sorry but we're a spec compared to the total user base.

This x 100. I suspect the vast majority of people really don't give a flip whether their phone has KitKat or Lollipop.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
This x 100. I suspect the vast majority of people really don't give a flip whether their phone has KitKat or Lollipop.

And those people aren't reading or posting anything on this site either. People on this site tend to care about Android stuff and educated themselves about it by reading about it and debating it.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
And those people aren't reading or posting anything on this site either. People on this site tend to care about Android stuff and educated themselves about it by reading about it and debating it.

I can attest to that. My immediate family is around 40 people (siblings, neices, nephews, etc) and out of all of them, one nephew and myself are the only ones who even follows this stuff. We're split fairly evenly between Android, iPhone, and dumb phones (no iPhones jokes meant there). So that makes us the resident "can you help me with my phone?" guys. My nephew started out with a Motorola Droid 1, then a Galaxy Nexus, and now has an HTC One M7.

What's interesting is that people who I'd assume would be heavy into this aren't. One brother who's big into tech is one of the ones with a flip phone, and another nephew who was always into computers and stereos chose an iPhone because he couldn't figure out Android. At Xmas people were asking me if my Moto 360 was the Apple watch. So out of 40 people in my family, 2 actually keep up with these kinds of things. And I'd bet that that's a pretty generous percentage compared to the country. Of the top three largest cities in my state, the largest you hardly see a flip phones outside of tradesmen, and the other two it's rare to see a smartphone. So this perception we have that everyone is tech savvy is a bit of a fantasy. I have no doubt that many people have smartphones, but when they call every Android a Droid or a Galaxy, or assume every smartphone is an iPhone, they really don't know much about it.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I can attest to that. My immediate family is around 40 people (siblings, neices, nephews, etc) and out of all of them, one nephew and myself are the only ones who even follows this stuff. We're split fairly evenly between Android, iPhone, and dumb phones (no iPhones jokes meant there). So that makes us the resident "can you help me with my phone?" guys. My nephew started out with a Motorola Droid 1, then a Galaxy Nexus, and now has an HTC One M7.

What's interesting is that people who I'd assume would be heavy into this aren't. One brother who's big into tech is one of the ones with a flip phone, and another nephew who was always into computers and stereos chose an iPhone because he couldn't figure out Android. At Xmas people were asking me if my Moto 360 was the Apple watch. So out of 40 people in my family, 2 actually keep up with these kinds of things. And I'd bet that that's a pretty generous percentage compared to the country. Of the top three largest cities in my state, the largest you hardly see a flip phones outside of tradesmen, and the other two it's rare to see a smartphone. So this perception we have that everyone is tech savvy is a bit of a fantasy. I have no doubt that many people have smartphones, but when they call every Android a Droid or a Galaxy, or assume every smartphone is an iPhone, they really don't know much about it.

Which furthers my point that companies can communicate more than they do without the risk they possibly fear. The supposed "freak out" crowd is a subset of our already small demographic, and I suspect it is going to freak out about something anyway. This is the Internet, after all.

Bob Maida

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Caring to the point of being neurotic about late updates

Posted via the Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Which furthers my point that companies can communicate more than they do without the risk they possibly fear. The supposed "freak out" crowd is a subset of our already small demographic, and I suspect it is going to freak out about something anyway. This is the Internet, after all.

Actually, since people like us are the ones who regular people come to for advice about these things, the opposite would be true. So if the minority have influence on the majority, it can backfire on them.

Please tell me, how many companies, not just in mobile but anywhere, have this kind of transparency like you're looking for? Computer companies, car companies, recording artists, etc., all of these companies and people are if anything the opposite of transparent. They don't owe it to us, and just because they would be transparent doesn't mean that we'd necessarily go with their product. But the downsides are greater than the potential upsides, at least for the companies. Say someone decides to go with another product after seeing some pre release info, even though that device may nor be finished. Or someone decides that with all the issues they're having getting an update out, that they should go with someone else.

I agree it would be nicer for us if they would let us in on what they're doing, but we're paying for a product, not a backstage pass to what they're up to. None of these companies are any different, and I don't get why people think they are owed this or that we should expect this from any company. The only people who should be the ones on the companies board or maybe if they're shareholders. We are also not guaranteed anything beyond what we paid for when we bought the item, any repairs and support during the warranty period, and software updates aren't actually included in that. They aren't guaranteed, but obviously companies don't want to abandon a device right off the bat, as it could affect future sales. But they have stated what devices are getting the update, and they have stated that the Turbo will go straight to 5.1. That's more than they are required to do.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Actually, since people like us are the ones who regular people come to for advice about these things, the opposite would be true. So if the minority have influence on the majority, it can backfire on them.

Please tell me, how many companies, not just in mobile but anywhere, have this kind of transparency like you're looking for? Computer companies, car companies, recording artists, etc., all of these companies and people are if anything the opposite of transparent. They don't owe it to us, and just because they would be transparent doesn't mean that we'd necessarily go with their product. But the downsides are greater than the potential upsides, at least for the companies. Say someone decides to go with another product after seeing some pre release info, even though that device may nor be finished. Or someone decides that with all the issues they're having getting an update out, that they should go with someone else.

I agree it would be nicer for us if they would let us in on what they're doing, but we're paying for a product, not a backstage pass to what they're up to. None of these companies are any different, and I don't get why people think they are owed this or that we should expect this from any company. The only people who should be the ones on the companies board or maybe if they're shareholders. We are also not guaranteed anything beyond what we paid for when we bought the item, any repairs and support during the warranty period, and software updates aren't actually included in that. They aren't guaranteed, but obviously companies don't want to abandon a device right off the bat, as it could affect future sales. But they have stated what devices are getting the update, and they have stated that the Turbo will go straight to 5.1. That's more than they are required to do.

I don't get why expressing an opinion about something that I think would be in both the best interests of a company and a cosnumer often seems to be painted as my (and usually others) "acting like (I'm) owed something." People aren't allowed to express frustration about anything, even poor customer service, without being portrayed as feeling entitled. It's ridiculous.

I'll keep expressing what I think is good customer service. I'll keep pushing for it. I'll keep shying from companies that don't provide it and reward those who do.

You are also free to settle for the status quo.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I think my only issue is that complaining about it here will change nothing. If you're not communicating your frustration with Motorola directly, you're wasting your time complaining about it here. Motorola is likely not reading forum posts here, and they'll likely not change communication policy based on less than a handful of complaints about it.

And, as I said before, it may be more a Verizon issue, as these phones are their brand - Motorola is just a contract manufacturer - and I know I've seen hints from previous g+ postings from Motorola engineers that they are under NDA and not allowed to discuss timing.

Maybe you should create a separate thread to try to recruit people to contact Motorola about this directly.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have an S5 running Lollipop. I hate the new recent tabs redesign because they incorporated open browser tabs into that interface. I strongly dislike having to out to leave the browser to access recent apps, sort through all my recent apps in order to find browser tabs. Much prefer having this stay inside the browser.
Ooh, can you have multiple tabs for one app? I hope that works with k-9. That's the one thing I still really miss from my old Palm Pre.

(Well, I still kind of miss physical keys, but Swype has eased that pain.)

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think my only issue is that complaining about it here will change nothing. If you're not communicating your frustration with Motorola directly, you're wasting your time complaining about it here. Motorola is likely not reading forum posts here, and they'll likely not change communication policy based on less than a handful of complaints about it.

And, as I said before, it may be more a Verizon issue, as these phones are their brand - Motorola is just a contract manufacturer - and I know I've seen hints from previous g+ postings from Motorola engineers that they are under NDA and not allowed to discuss timing.

Maybe you should create a separate thread to try to recruit people to contact Motorola about this directly.

I have expressed my opinion directly to Mototorla. On a couple of different specific issues over the past 8-10 months or so. Having done that, I disagree that complaining about it here serves no purpose. Perhaps it doesn't for those who think it's as good as it's going to get, but if others realize that I have a point, there are more people pushing for that. Not to mention,that point goes beyond Motorola, as I think I've been careful to point out as much by what I haven't said as by what I have.

This is a place for discussing opinions and the customer service/communication issue in this particular case is related to the thread topic, but by no means should be taken as my thinking Moto is the only culprit. Or that Verizon is.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why expressing an opinion about something that I think would be in both the best interests of a company and a cosnumer often seems to be painted as my (and usually others) "acting like (I'm) owed something." People aren't allowed to express frustration about anything, even poor customer service, without being portrayed as feeling entitled. It's ridiculous.

I'll keep expressing what I think is good customer service. I'll keep pushing for it. I'll keep shying from companies that don't provide it and reward those who do.

You are also free to settle for the status quo.

There nothing wrong with stating your opinion, but you're also saying it would be a good thing if they acted on your opinion. It would be good for us as consumers, but as I've said repeatedly, the advantages don't outweigh the disadvantages for them as a company. Everyone has an opinion on what should or shouldn't happen, but those only serve their specific wants or needs. A company should always look at what serves them best, because if they don't, they won't be around anymore.

My point was, there is almost no company that is as transparent as you would like Motorola or Verizon to be. In a perfect world, each consumer could follow each decision like they were a member of that company. The only time you see anything like that is usually in kick starter projects, and that is due to them being crowd funded, so they are essentially part of the company as investors.

I'm not settling for the status quo by accepting that what I think they should do is what they should actually do. I bought a product from them, they have already said that it will be updated, they offer repairs when I need them in and out of warranty. That is what any decent company offers.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ooh, can you have multiple tabs for one app? I hope that works with k-9. That's the one thing I still really miss from my old Palm Pre.

(Well, I still kind of miss physical keys, but Swype has eased that pain.)

The problem I've experienced with it is this. Say I have 4 tabs opened in my browser, and an app open and it's settings opened. In my recent apps list, what would be 2 tasks under KK, is now 6 tasks in LP. It's a lot more clutter than what we previously had.

Status
Not open for further replies.