Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
One thing I don't see anyone talking about is the logistics and support needed for a new software update. Currently by my quick count VZW has 39 Smartphones, with 4 OS, in their lineup. I have no idea of the true numbers but I suspect when a phone or Tablet (21 Tablets and 2 OS) are updated it generates a lot of customer support issues. It is a lot more complicated than just testing software and pushing the button to make it live. I just received an update on my new LG G 10.1 (not LP unfortunately) I had an issue and had to call VZW they quickly were able to tell me how to fix it and on I went. I was told that the update changed a setting that just needed to be returned to the default. How many people called for the fix on that tablet? A software update is a huge deal for a carrier and I do believe that things like CS and overload are taken into consideration. Can you imagine the meltdown if they upgraded every device at the same time? Don't forget the techs have to be trained on the differences on each device as well. I want LP on my Turbo but I can understand the delay and just live with it until it drops.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The problem I've experienced with it is this. Say I have 4 tabs opened in my browser, and an app open and it's settings opened. In my recent apps list, what would be 2 tasks under KK, is now 6 tasks in LP. It's a lot more clutter than what we previously had.
I'd be fine with that. I soooooo want to have a couple of pages of email open at the same time, perhaps the home page and two letters.

Now I am looking forward to lollipop.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I just put 5.1 on my N7 which was a brick running 5.0.1 and now its like warm butter, smooth and delicious.

Given how my N9 lags constantly on 5.0.1, I'd have to say waiting is worth it esp given the Turbo (as has been said countless times on this thread) is running pretty well on KitKat.

Just throwing my anecdotal hat into the ring.

Posted via the Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I would rather wait then deal with a bunch of bugs. I can just suspect this forum would be light up with a lot of "this phone sucks" posts if 5.0 was released to the Turbo and it killed battery life, made the phone laggy, or caused reboots, all issues with 5.0.x releases.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have expressed my opinion directly to Mototorla. On a couple of different specific issues over the past 8-10 months or so.

Here is a great opportunity on Wednesday afternoon: https://plus.google.com/+Motorola/posts/AdcjBNf3Txv

Motorola President, Rick Osterloh (@rosterloh) will be hosting a Twitter chat this Wednesday (March 25) at 2:30pm PST to answer questions about Motorola, upcoming product launches, personal experiences, product innovation, etc. We'd love to have you join in...tweet directly to @rosterloh or use #AskRickO #AskMoto.

I think it would be worth asking why Motorola cannot be more transparent about update schedules, versions, etc. For example, why they cannot make a post once a month to list their current progress with each model, current expected timelines, etc. He may ignore it, but why not ask?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Here is a great opportunity on Wednesday afternoon: https://plus.google.com/+Motorola/posts/AdcjBNf3Txv

I think it would be worth asking why Motorola cannot be more transparent about update schedules, versions, etc. For example, why they cannot make a post once a month to list their current progress with each model, current expected timelines, etc. He may ignore it, but why not ask?

Thanks for posting this. On my calendar.

Hey, one of the customer service issues I mentioned previously was only resolved when I eventually had to take it to Twitter for public shaming. It was an easy fix and it was ridiculous I had to do that. Maybe this can be a more positive experience.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Well, we got an answer, sort of:

https://twitter.com/rosterloh/status/580845535973740545

Some questions on L on Droid. We wanted to ship VoLTE on Droid first, and now that this is done, we are turning our focus to L. #AskRickO

Just as I predicted - they updated for VoLTE first, and my suspicion is still that "we wanted to ship VoLTE" was more Verizon than Motorola.

No dates. No promises to be more transparent about dates (at least not yet.)

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
When I bought the turbo in October, I would of never believed. Samsung, lg, and htc would update their phones before the turbo.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Lets just face it guys, we are in dead last to get Lollipop. Samsung, LG, HTC, they all have their past two flagships updated to Lollipop, while Motorola can't even get their first one updated. It sucks. I know. I still say that at this point Verizon is the one to blame. But hey, you guys are lucky. Imagine how long I have to wait. I have a Droid Maxx.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Lets just face it guys, we are in dead last to get Lollipop. Samsung, LG, HTC, they all have their past two flagships updated to Lollipop, while Motorola can't even get their first one updated. It sucks. I know. I still say that at this point Verizon is the one to blame. But hey, you guys are lucky. Imagine how long I have to wait. I have a Droid Maxx.

I'm not sure why it sucks. There's really nothing in lollipop that I'm looking forward to. I don't understand why so many are upset over the wait. It's not like the phone becomes less functional each day we're on kit kat.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, we got an answer, sort of:

https://twitter.com/rosterloh/status/580845535973740545

Just as I predicted - they updated for VoLTE first, and my suspicion is still that "we wanted to ship VoLTE" was more Verizon than Motorola.

No dates. No promises to be more transparent about dates (at least not yet.)

I did tweet him a question suggesting better communication (fluid conversation not a deadline), especially within the Motorola Feedback Network.

It wasn't one he answered.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why it sucks. There's really nothing in lollipop that I'm looking forward to. I don't understand why so many are upset over the wait. It's not like the phone becomes less functional each day we're on kit kat.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
If you hang around these forums a while you'll see there's a certain group that wants the latest OS and want it yesterday. Then, the inevitable comes - when they get it, there's nonstop complaints of the bugs & glitches both real, and perceived. This subset of users tends to become very irritable waiting for the newer version and dissatisfied with their existing version although it is near flawless and the new version offers little to improve the user experience. God forbid the new version turns out to be really whacked, most of the same folks flood the forums with complaints asking for instructions how to revert back to the OS that days before they could not wait to be rid of. An endless circle to be repeated infinitely. I was once in this group but, no more. When it comes, I'll take it but will be in no hurry. To me, the Turbo is a beast of a near perfect device, "as is". Improvement is possible but not guaranteed - it will not be easy since at this level, changes for the better are in very small increments. Patience may not be a virtue but it may be wise to consider it as one and just chill out & enjoy the terrific phone you have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy