Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you hang around these forums a while you'll see there's a certain group that wants the latest OS and want it yesterday. Then, the inevitable comes - when they get it, there's nonstop complaints of the bugs & glitches both real, and perceived. This subset of users tends to become very irritable waiting for the newer version and dissatisfied with their existing version although it is near flawless and the new version offers little to improve the user experience. God forbid the new version turns out to be really whacked, most of the same folks flood the forums with complaints asking for instructions how to revert back to the OS that days before they could not wait to be rid of. An endless circle to be repeated infinitely. I was once in this group but, no more. When it comes, I'll take it but will be in no hurry. To me, the Turbo is a beast of a near perfect device, "as is". Improvement is possible but not guaranteed - it will not be easy since at this level, changes for the better are in very small increments. Patience may not be a virtue but it may be wise to consider it as one and just chill out & enjoy the terrific phone you have now.

Or, people could just live and let live. I'm so sick and tired of the attitude that I-don't-get-it-so-you're-an-***** on forums here and elsewhere. There are certainly just as many people at either end of the spectrum who simply don't know what they're talking about.

Just because you want X, or you don't care at all about X, doesn't mean someone else doesn't have legit reasons for the opposite view.

Not intended as a specific criticism of you, maxman1. Just a jumping off point.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Or, people could just live and let live. I'm so sick and tired of the attitude that I-don't-get-it-so-you're-an-***** on forums here and elsewhere. There are certainly just as many people at either end of the spectrum who simply don't know what they're talking about.

Just because you want X, or you don't care at all about X, doesn't mean someone else doesn't have legit reasons for the opposite view.

I-d-i-o-t is a banned word? LOL

Last edited:

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
If you hang around these forums a while you'll see there's a certain group that wants the latest OS and want it yesterday. Then, the inevitable comes - when they get it, there's nonstop complaints of the bugs & glitches both real, and perceived. This subset of users tends to become very irritable waiting for the newer version and dissatisfied with their existing version although it is near flawless and the new version offers little to improve the user experience. God forbid the new version turns out to be really whacked, most of the same folks flood the forums with complaints asking for instructions how to revert back to the OS that days before they could not wait to be rid of. An endless circle to be repeated infinitely. I was once in this group but, no more. When it comes, I'll take it but will be in no hurry. To me, the Turbo is a beast of a near perfect device, "as is". Improvement is possible but not guaranteed - it will not be easy since at this level, changes for the better are in very small increments. Patience may not be a virtue but it may be wise to consider it as one and just chill out & enjoy the terrific phone you have now.

I've actually been hanging around these forums for a bit longer than you have so i already knew that. That doesn't mean i understand behavior that makes no sense.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Lets just face it guys, we are in dead last to get Lollipop. Samsung, LG, HTC, they all have their past two flagships updated to Lollipop, while Motorola can't even get their first one updated. It sucks. I know. I still say that at this point Verizon is the one to blame. But hey, you guys are lucky. Imagine how long I have to wait. I have a Droid Maxx.

Posted via the Android Central App

Well, actually, the Turbo is still ahead of the Verizon Note 4 in terms of updates. I have the Note 4. My husband has a Turbo. We both updated to these phones from Droid Maxx phones early November. Soon after the Turbo received VoLTE. The Note still waits for that update. Sprint two weeks ago and just yesterday AT&T rolled out Lollipop on their Note 4 phones. With Verizon ... still waiting.

So, in general, Verizon has issues when it comes to updating its phones. It's pretty pathetic.

asbarrett

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
The downside is all those phones that have Lollipop now have the version full of bugs. Being the first does not always the best. 5.1 fixes the memory leak on the Nexus devices. I think I'd rather have that version.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I-d-i-o-t is a banned word? LOL

Yes it has no place in proper discussion. I know its not something I want to be referred to as and not something I'm sure you want to be labeled as either.

That said. Please keep the topic and discussion civil.

Paul

Mod Team Leader @ AC.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes it has no place in proper discussion. I know its not something I want to be referred to as and not something I'm sure you want to be labeled as either.

That said. Please keep the topic and discussion civil.

Paul

Mod Team Leader @ AC.

What if I want to call myself one? I think it's beyond ridiculous to start blocking words that aren't profanity. People can be plenty uncivil, and are, with a bunch of approved words.

I think you guys go too far in "montoring" here. I got a reprimand a while back for something that was very mild (and an appropriate response in context).

This is sort of like dress codes. Rather than worry about how people actually behave, let's worry about how they look. Rather than control uncivil discourse, let's elimninate words that may actually have a use, from time to time, that isn't uncivil. I'll point out that my original post in which the word was asterisked out is case in point, as I was calling for more civility in it.

FWIW.

I'm not going to run off in a huff because I can't say I-d-i-o-t, but I do think blocking a word like that is laughable.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
What if I want to call myself one? I think it's beyond ridiculous to start blocking words that aren't profanity. People can be plenty uncivil, and are, with a bunch of approved words.

I think you guys go too far in "montoring" here. I got a reprimand a while back for something that was very mild (and an appropriate response in context).

This is sort of like dress codes. Rather than worry about how people actually behave, let's worry about how they look. Rather than control uncivil discourse, let's elimninate words that may actually have a use, from time to time, that isn't uncivil. I'll point out that my original post in which the word was asterisked out is case in point, as I was calling for more civility in it.

FWIW.

I'm not going to run off in a huff because I can't say I-d-i-o-t, but I do think blocking a word like that is laughable.
If you wish to discuss something Moderator related then please do it via PM as outlined in the Forum Rules and Guidelines saying not to " publicly " discuss or address Moderator actions.

Quick answer to your comment though, myself and the Mod Team simply backup what is outlined for rules by Site Admin and what the forum software automatically " censors ". In any case there is a much better and polite way to articulate your comments and not have to walk a fine line between right and wrong.

- Paul

Mod Team Leader @ AC.

asbarrett

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone honestly need VoLTE? I don't get why it's such a big deal.

The call quality is a vast improvement. This is a plus; needed? In terms of quality, whatever. But this is the first step to carriers killing off the legacy networks and going to all digital data driven everything. The minute everyone is on VoLTE, is the minute they can finally kill off CDMA.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Simultaneous voice and data for the Turbo. If you are trying to navigate with Google maps or waze in the car and get a phone call (over BT, of course) you might be happy it's there.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Well, yes, of course we do, since without it you can't use anything that uses data while on a call. I know many said they don't ever use data at the same time as a call, but I don't think they realize how much they do. Ever use the maps while on a call? Ever surfing or buying something, like entering your credit card in a site and get a call and not know if the charge went through? I use my phone for work and have to refer to emails or attachments while talking to someone. Can't do that on the Turbo without VoLTE. So, yes, I honestly need it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think people are terribly upset. I think the major issue is that there was an expectation buying the phone, which was released almost coincidentally with Lollipop, that it would have I the update rather quickly, based on the similar hardware as the Nexus 6 and Motorola's recent reputation for fast upgrades. Disappointment may be a better word than upset.

The features of Lollipop that are better than KitKat I believe have been discussed in this thread. Perhaps you don't care for them, but others surely do.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't think people are terribly upset. I think the major issue is that there was an expectation buying the phone, which was released almost coincidentally with Lollipop, that it would have I the update rather quickly, based on the similar hardware as the Nexus 6 and Motorola's recent reputation for fast upgrades. Disappointment may be a better word than upset.

The features of Lollipop that are better than KitKat I believe have been discussed in this thread. Perhaps you don't care for them, but others surely do.

This is playing out pretty similarly to the Droid Maxx update. It sat waiting for quite a while while incremental KitKats were released for other phones, then became among the first (if not the first) to get 4.4.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000