Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I think the prank is the Turbo has been out 5 months without L. Don't get me wrong as my Turbo works perfectly the way it is and I would rather wait for a solid update, but I never dreamed it would take this long.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Looks like OnePlus missed their dates for Oxygen OS and Cyanogen releases.

which is why it's better to not give exact dates for things like this. :)

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Look, Google released a poor product with 5.0. I am confident they fixed all the memory leaks and issues by 5.1, so let's be happy Motorizon waited to release this.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Looks like OnePlus missed their dates for Oxygen OS and Cyanogen releases.

which is why it's better to not give exact dates for things like this. :)
Yes true but that's something I think we all expected as One plus has seemed to overpromise and under deliver on everything they've said. Just my opinion but I gave up on them awhile ago just wasn't impressed.

But it would be nice to see motorola back to their old style of atleast keeping people updated and giving a general idea where the update is along in the process. With the purchase from Lenovo that seemed to go away

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
There is a Google+ post today from David Schuster of Motorola updating that the 1st gen Moto X, G and E will go to 5.1 directly rather than 5.0.2. https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/cV4vDyyMmw2

But in that post is embedded this comment from Matt Jones, also of Motorola:

The truth is, the software is ready when it's ready -- I know that can be difficult to accept, but it's true. We have to develop and test it. If something doesn't work, we have to take the time to fix it, and we can't know what issues may arise. Our schedule may indicate a week, but the software may require a month. This is why we don't give dates.

We're working as fast as possible to provide quality upgrades to all eligible devices globally. 

So, that's why they don't give dates, and why they give updates only periodically when they can. The fact is that they just don't know when updates are going to be ready.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
There is a Google+ post today from David Schuster of Motorola updating that the 1st gen Moto X, G and E will go to 5.1 directly rather than 5.0.2. https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/cV4vDyyMmw2

So, that's why they don't give dates, and why they give updates only periodically when they can. The fact is that they just don't know when updates are going to be ready.

No one cares, people just want to complain. Moto could say the Turbo will get lollipop on April 20, and if on April 19 the Moto G got lollipop, people will complain that the G shouldn't have gotten it first. People are just looking for reasons to be unhappy.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

jjjmmm

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes. The Official Motorola Blog

Can you point to some specific links? I may not have been clear: I'm looking for official updates regarding the Droid Turbo getting Lollipop. I searched the Motorola Blog and found ZERO updates regarding the Droid Turbo and Lollipop.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Can you point to some specific links? I may not have been clear: I'm looking for official updates regarding the Droid Turbo getting Lollipop. I searched the Motorola Blog and found ZERO updates regarding the Droid Turbo and Lollipop.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/software-upgrade-news/g_id/1949

ElqsGhZ.jpg

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I continue to maintain that they could do better than they do with communication. I've said a number of times that I am not looking for a deadline date. I am reasonable and realistic, and that is too specific. They could be more forthcoming with the status of updates on an ongoing basis. A continuing conversation, not a deadline.

They could and they should as far as I'm concerned. That's excellent customer service. Instead, they cower from the lowest common denominator that will freak out if they don't get the update on the first day of whatever range they might shoot for.

In discussing the topic here in the past, my main frustration is that posters take an either/or mentality...either they should give us THE date, or they shouldn't tell us anything. Or at least, that it's OK they don't tell us anything.

What Moto, its defenders, and plenty of other companies say by way of defense (we can't give a date), also usually includes what they could do (the situation is fluid). So, stop taking a fluid situation and trying to hang a deadline on it. Take a fluid situation and update us as it changes.

Not a hard thing to do.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
No one cares, people just want to complain. Moto could say the Turbo will get lollipop on April 20, and if on April 19 the Moto G got lollipop, people will complain that the G shouldn't have gotten it first. People are just looking for reasons to be unhappy.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

I'm just looking for better communication from a company I give my money and loyalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.