Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I bought an LG G pad 10.1 from Verizon about a month ago and was told it would be upgraded to Lollypop by the sales people in the store. LG starts upgrading the G pad 7, 8.3 and 10.1 today. (4\12\15) Lets see if I get that from Verizon. At least both my tablet and Turbo are on Kit Kat :'(

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I bought an LG G pad 10.1 from Verizon about a month ago and was told it would be upgraded to Lollypop by the sales people in the store. LG starts upgrading the G pad 7, 8.3 and 10.1 today. (4\12\15) Lets see if I get that from Verizon. At least both my tablet and Turbo are on Kit Kat :'(

I have the original G Pad 8.3 (WiFi only, Non GPE). Am I understanding you correctly that Lollipop is starting to roll out to it today?

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes I thought I read that on an article here on android central a day or two ago. I am sure you can google it

Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes I thought I read that on an article here on android central a day or two ago. I am sure you can google it

I think you may have seen a Google Play Edition rollout. I check AC daily and haven't noticed the WiFi V500 version mentioned, but I think the GPE was mentioned recently.

I'd be thrilled to be wrong. My G Pad never even got a 4.4.4 update.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know when Google is going to announce the next software upgrade? Is it June at the Google conference?

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know when Google is going to announce the next software upgrade? Is it June at the Google conference?

I don't know but that better get Verizon to start pushing out these updates because I'm getting really sick of their bull crap.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Lollipop update for LG E Series tablets starts on April 12 | Android Central

Carrier models aren't specifically called out.

And the update is scheduled to start on April 12th, which gives OEMs room to roll out the update, meaning not everyone will get it on the 12th.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Only Google knows but they've announced the next release at Google I/O the last few years, so, probably yes.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Travaz,
I think I remember hearing it takes at least 6 months for a carrier to go through testing on a device once they've been handed the update from Google.

There is little chance we would see an update on the Turbo before fall of 2015. And given the fact the Turbo isn't a flagship phone like the Note it may never get it.

Last edited:

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Im hearing turbo wont get it after all������

I think that's very possible at this point. Furthermore don't be surprised if there is a class action lawsuit to follow, I think it's happened before for similar reasons.

[EDIT]
Ah yes, here it is and funny enough it was against Motorola!!!
http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...t-android-os-upgrade-class-action-settlement/

It took 4 years and the consumers got a whopping $25 in the end. Fun times ahead! :)

Last edited:

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I think that's very possible at this point. Furthermore don't be surprised if there is a class action lawsuit to follow, I think it's happened before for similar reasons.
If you become a member of a class action, don't expect much in return. The benefit is typically a penance (think a check for $1.36 four years from now) for a claimant. Your satisfaction will have to come from enriching a team of lawyers.

Seems to me getting a good Lollipop update for a phone is proving to be difficult. I'd rather have a good Kit Kat if Lollipop is gonna do to my phone what it has done to the G3/S5.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Travaz,
I think I remember hearing it takes at least 6 months for a carrier to go through testing on a device once they've been handed the update from Google.

There is little chance we would see an update on the Turbo before fall of 2015. And given the fact the Turbo isn't a flagship phone like the Note it may never get it.

That 6 month test rumor you heard is plain wrong. The Verizon Moto X received Lollipop in late November, a few weeks after the update posted to aosp. In fact, Lollipop came out just over 6 months now and a large number of phones are carrier approved.

There is a very, very, very large chance that the turbo gets the update before fall. I'd be surprised if it's not delivered before summer.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
That 6 month test rumor you heard is plain wrong.

I wish it was a rumor, unfortunately it's not...

"T-Mobile's Young confirmed that it is typically three to six months from the time they get the new software until it goes live. Simple addition, then, will tell you that it may be as much as nine months for that new software to make it to your device, and that's only if the manufacturers and carriers agree that it's worth devoting the time and resources to update it at all."

In fact, Lollipop came out just over 6 months now and a large number of phones are carrier approved.

Read the article, it may look like they came out with Lollipop not too long after it became public but they've been working on it a lot longer then what you think.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The article is over two years old and no longer relevant. David Schuster of Motorola last May said that carrier testing is usually 2 to 4 weeks for each cycle. If it fails testing, they must redesign and resubmit for another 2-4 week test cycle. He was specifically talking about the 2013 Droid series at the time, which is obviously Verizon exclusive.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If it was 2-4 weeks we'd start hearing about soak tests, which there are none. What Schuster said (if true) was for a regularly scheduled update, they are now off schedule because they messed it up and it takes a lot of resources to do a "do-over". This means it's chances of ever making it at this point are probably 50/50. There are new phones and/or more important phones coming out that will be deemed more important than the Turbo update which will have to take a back seat to those.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Travaz,

There is ZERO chance that the Turbo doesn't get the update. None.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21