Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
If it was 2-4 weeks we'd start hearing about soak tests, which there are none. What Schuster said (if true) was for a regularly scheduled update, they are now off schedule because they messed it up and it takes a lot of resources to do a "do-over". This means it's chances of ever making it at this point are probably 50/50. There are new phones and/or more important phones coming out that will be deemed more important than the Turbo update which will have to take a back seat to those.

2-4 weeks unless it fails testing, so if it failed testing for some reason then no we wouldn't be hearing about soak tests yet. With all the problems lollipop has had I'd be surprised if it made it through testing on its first try.
And yes, the Turbo will absolutely get lollipop. Any comments to the contrary are pure nonsense.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hope springs eternal ...

It's not hope. People have lost their minds if they think a phone that was essentially released along side the announcement it would be updated to Lollipop isn't going to get it. It's been less than 6 months since launch and this phone is following the same path the Droid Maxx traveled before it got 4.4.4 (frustrating wait while plenty of other phones got incremental KK updates before leapfrogging them to be one of the first to get 4.4.4).

Zero chance.

rader023

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If it was 2-4 weeks we'd start hearing about soak tests, which there are none. What Schuster said (if true) was for a regularly scheduled update, they are now off schedule because they messed it up and it takes a lot of resources to do a "do-over". This means it's chances of ever making it at this point are probably 50/50. There are new phones and/or more important phones coming out that will be deemed more important than the Turbo update which will have to take a back seat to those.

Soak tests are the last step of a release. Many times Verizon will release the software before the soak is even over. By the time you hear about a soak the software is going to be released.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I wish it was a rumor, unfortunately it's not...

"T-Mobile's Young confirmed that it is typically three to six months from the time they get the new software until it goes live. Simple addition, then, will tell you that it may be as much as nine months for that new software to make it to your device, and that's only if the manufacturers and carriers agree that it's worth devoting the time and resources to update it at all."

Read the article, it may look like they came out with Lollipop not too long after it became public but they've been working on it a lot longer then what you think.

Motorola already smashed that when Moto Xs were getting KitKat OTA updates before some Nexus devices were getting OTAs.

Here's what needs to happen.

OEMs need to take the source and develop their builds.
OEMs need to test those builds.

If it's a carrier device, the OEMs need to submit their Release Candidate to the carrier for carrier testing. The carrier would then approve or send back for changes.

Once approved, the OEM can press go to push the updates out or make it available for pull.

Ch4dders

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, my wife's Verizon S5 got Lollipop last night. She hates it, it's slowed down her phone and she's not crazy about the aesthetics of it.

I, along with some others, am more than willing to keep KitKat for as long as I have it.

Posted from 64GB BN Droid Turbo

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, my wife's Verizon S5 got Lollipop last night. She hates it, it's slowed down her phone and she's not crazy about the aesthetics of it.

I, along with some others, am more than willing to keep KitKat for as long as I have it.

Posted from 64GB BN Droid Turbo

Only last night? Did she just get the phone? My wife has an S5 on Verizon as well, and she's had Lollipop for a couple of months. She hasn't had any issues at all. I keep asking.

I'd give it a cache parition wipe if you haven't.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
In the last month, I've updated an lg g2, note 3 and 4 to Android 5. Come on, this is pathetic

Posted via the Android Central App

Pathetic that the Turbo is a great phone and it runs perfectly fine and doesn't need an update that has caused problems on every phone that has gotten it? I don't agree with that.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Soak tests are the last step of a release. Many times Verizon will release the software before the soak is even over. By the time you hear about a soak the software is going to be released.

I you have ever done a soak test it clearly says that the software is final version that will be released to the General public unless a major show stopper is found.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
In the last month, I've updated an lg g2, note 3 and 4 to Android 5. Come on, this is pathetic

Posted via the Android Central App

All of these updated to 5.1? Because my Nexus 7 didn't get it's first LP update until December, and the second to 5.0.2 in mid January, which is where it still is currently. Android 5.0 was announced in October of last year, Android 5.1 was announced in early March. Since my Nexus didn't see any kind of 5.0 update until 2 months after announcement, why are people expecting 5.1 for the Turbo earlier than that? Right now we're at just over a month since they announced 5.1, if I was a betting man, I'd guess we'll see 5.1 for the Turbo between mid May and mid June.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
All of these updated to 5.1? Because my Nexus 7 didn't get it's first LP update until December, and the second to 5.0.2 in mid January, which is where it still is currently. Android 5.0 was announced in October of last year, Android 5.1 was announced in early March. Since my Nexus didn't see any kind of 5.0 update until 2 months after announcement, why are people expecting 5.1 for the Turbo earlier than that? Right now we're at just over a month since they announced 5.1, if I was a betting man, I'd guess we'll see 5.1 for the Turbo between mid May and mid June.

I have a hunch it will be a little sooner than that, but otherwise agree generally.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a hunch it will be a little sooner than that, but otherwise agree generally.

Probably, but I wanted to hedge my bets. The Turbo may well be the first non Nexus to get 5.1, like the Maxx did when it got 4.4. Or we may see the X get it first yet again. It's hard to say, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how devices are getting updated to Lollipop.

Others like HTC, Samsung, and LG are upping their game so far as quicker updates, which is good. I didn't just go with Motorola for fast updates. If it happens it happens. But my reasons for going with Motorola again was more about a lighter skin, Motorola's enhancements, better radios, and large battery.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have info on whether 5.1 improves the fallback to non-hd call? Or will we be forever turning off a function because of Verizon's idiotic choice to barrel forward with volte with Turbo's one radio thereby suffering dropped calls & sketchy simultaneous voice & data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08