Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I turned off advanced calling from my phone menu after having issues with this but it still happened. I contacted VZW (thinking I had a dud) and they turned off advanced calling from their end and i no longer had dropped call issues.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
How is it more reliable or cheaper?

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

You should read up on it but here are some reasons:

1. "It’s piggybacking on Sprint and T-Mobile’s networks.The plan offers 4G/LTE coverage, and wireless tethering, and Wi-Fi calling all included. What makes Project Fi special and potentially more reliable than anything out there is that it dynamically switches between networks depending which of those is offering the best service in your area. Additionally, if there’s pre-vetted public Wi-Fi available, it’ll jump on board that network as well. The “network of networks” has a lot of potential to be more reliable. If one network has an outage, the others can serve as support."

2. "The new plans costs $20 for starters, which gets you talk, text, and wireless tethering. Then it costs $10 per GB of data. So if like me, you’ve got 3GB per month, then you would pay $50 per month. The kicker is that if you don’t use all the data you pay for you’ll get paid back for what you don’t use."

Last edited:

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I got home from work and I have a notification on my 2013 Nexus 7 WIFI for an update to 5.1 Comon Verizon/ Moto Turbo please.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
You should read up on it but here are some reasons:

1. "It’s piggybacking on Sprint and T-Mobile’s networks.The plan offers 4G/LTE coverage, and wireless tethering, and Wi-Fi calling all included. What makes Project Fi special and potentially more reliable than anything out there is that it dynamically switches between networks depending which of those is offering the best service in your area. Additionally, if there’s pre-vetted public Wi-Fi available, it’ll jump on board that network as well. The “network of networks” has a lot of potential to be more reliable. If one network has an outage, the others can serve as support."

2. "The new plans costs $20 for starters, which gets you talk, text, and wireless tethering. Then it costs $10 per GB of data. So if like me, you’ve got 3GB per month, then you would pay $50 per month. The kicker is that if you don’t use all the data you pay for you’ll get paid back for what you don’t use."

I did read up on it. I doubt there are more than half a dozen cities in the country where T-Mobile and Sprint combined are more reliable than Verizon. Not to mention that its in a testing phase, so the chances that it switches between networks smoothly is probably quite slim. And if you need more than 6GB of data(which is a ton of individuals and even more families) then Fi is more expensive. So your reasons are invalid for an extreme majority.

Csesh

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, apparently the reason why the turbo hasn't received an update yet is because the developers are waiting until they've ironed out all of the bugs on the current version of lollipop. I spoke with tech support about it and that's what he told me, imo I'd much rather wait for an operating system that runs correctly and efficiently rather than getting the latest and greatest and have it run like crap just to be stuck with it. I'll gladly wait patiently for an OS that's actually worthwhile but that's just me

TJ Kelly Jr

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, apparently the reason why the turbo hasn't received an update yet is because the developers are waiting until they've ironed out all of the bugs on the current version of lollipop. I spoke with tech support about it and that's what he told me, imo I'd much rather wait for an operating system that runs correctly and efficiently rather than getting the latest and greatest and have it run like crap just to be stuck with it. I'll gladly wait patiently for an OS that's actually worthwhile but that's just me

Unfortunately that's been the line since we started waiting for the update, they will never iron out every bug. It's just another statement to get us through the next week of waiting.

Posted via the Android Central App

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I did read up on it. I doubt there are more than half a dozen cities in the country where T-Mobile and Sprint combined are more reliable than Verizon.

I think you might be confusing coverage with reliability. If Verizon is experiencing issues, you may not get any service whereas on Fi it would switch over to the best network.

But if you want to talk about coverage, I know there are a lot of people like me that spend 20-50% of their time in a building during the day that has lousy cell reception inside but great WiFi. For this reason alone would make me want to look into this offering.

Not to mention that its in a testing phase, so the chances that it switches between networks smoothly is probably quite slim.

We are constantly dealing with "testing phases" of one thing or another. Advanced Calling hasn't quite been trouble free. The update to Lollipop didn't go as planned and will probably have problems if it does ever reach the Turbo. These are just things people are going to have to get used to in the Smartphone world. But I have more confidence in a company like Google to resolve these issues quicker than smaller ones.

And if you need more than 6GB of data(which is a ton of individuals and even more families) then Fi is more expensive.

Totally agree with you, it's not for everyone especially for the reason you cited.

So your reasons are invalid for an extreme majority.
That's just hyperbolic and silly. It won't be for an "extreme majority" because you have to get an invite and have a Nexus 6, not for any of the reasons I cited. If something works great for me I simply don't care what the extreme majority are doing anyways.

Last edited:

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think you might be confusing coverage with reliability. If Verizon is experiencing issues, you may not get any service whereas on Fi it would switch over to the best network.

But if you want to talk about coverage, I know there are a lot of people like me that spend 20-50% of their time in a building during the day that has lousy cell reception inside but great WiFi. For this reason alone would make me want to look into this offering.

We are constantly dealing with "testing phases" of one thing or another. Advanced Calling hasn't quite been trouble free. The update to Lollipop didn't go as planned and will probably have problems if it does ever reach the Turbo. These are just things people are going to have to get used to in the Smartphone world. But I have more confidence in a company like Google to resolve these issues quicker than smaller ones.

Totally agree with you, it's not for everyone especially for the reason you cited.

That's just hyperbolic and silly. It won't be for an "extreme majority" because you have to get an invite and have a Nexus 6, not for any of the reasons I cited. If something works great for me I simply don't care what the extreme majority are doing anyways.

Just so you guys know, I asked a tier 2 tech the other day if they an to offer an LTE network extender. We need them for our place on 1x/3G, and since LTE range is even less, that will be an even bigger problem for us in the future. I was fold that Verizon is working on doing WiFi calling/texting rather than getting an LTE compatible network extender to cover people in low signal areas. I'm definitely looking forward to that, it'd be much easier than setting up external devices and just send a software update to the phone itself to make this happen. No timetable given however.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I was fold that Verizon is working on doing WiFi calling/texting rather than getting an LTE compatible network extender to cover people in low signal areas.

This is a no brainer for all carriers and I'm sure they are all working on it because it's relatively cheap and it takes a load off their network which will save them money. It's just a matter of the time it takes them to bake that ability into their phones.

Since Google has their users beta test much of their crazy ideas, I can't think of a better way to test Project Loon then with Fi. I'd be shocked if this wasn't where Google was going with these two projects.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This is a no brainer for all carriers and I'm sure they are all working on it because it's relatively cheap and it takes a load off their network which will save them money. It's just a matter of the time it takes them to bake that ability into their phones.

Since Google has their users beta test much of their crazy ideas, I can't think of a better way to test Project Loon then with Fi. I'd be shocked if this wasn't where Google was going with these two projects.

We may think it's a no brainer for carriers, but that doesn't mean they will do it. T-Mobile has had this for awhile now, and Verizon is just in the process of implementing it. If anything, they're trying to figure out a way to make money on it. Network Extenders also take a load off of their networks and help them forgo having to put up new towers. However, your minutes still count against your plan even though it's using your ISP. So that I believe is the main reason they haven't rolled it out yet, once they figure out a way to monetize it we'll see it.

From what I was told, all that needs to be done to make it happen is a software update. As long as the phone has WiFi capabilities, it is capable of WiFi calling.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
We may think it's a no brainer for carriers, but that doesn't mean they will do it. T-Mobile has had this for awhile now, and Verizon is just in the process of implementing it.
Sprint already rolled it out for some of the iPhones and AT&T is planning on rolling theirs out later this year. That covers most if not all of the major US carriers doesn't it?

If anything, they're trying to figure out a way to make money on it. Network Extenders also take a load off of their networks and help them forgo having to put up new towers.
They do make money on it through the reduced usage/bandwidth on their network. Plus Network Extenders are more costly because they are another piece of equipment that needs to be purchased and shipped not to mention there are further costs because it's another product the carriers tech support department needs to support and be trained on.

From what I was told, all that needs to be done to make it happen is a software update. As long as the phone has WiFi capabilities, it is capable of WiFi calling.
I don't know if it's that simple. I suspect certain internals like the communications chips make a difference if a phone can be updated. Those updates often contain firmware updates to the radios to support what the software is doing.

Last edited:

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The point wasn't that they're not doing it, the point was that just because we think it makes sense, that they agree and will do it.

They for the most part don't give them away, believe me I've tried. I paid for both of the ones I have. The only other option they gave me was to leave Verizon. And when one had issues, a return replacement was still $150. As far as training, that's going away too. When I used to have issues, they'd do things like log into my NEs and try to find the problem. Now it's do a power cycle and if that doesn't solve it, replace the unit. If I'd followed that way of troubleshooting, I would replaced about 5 NEs that didn't need to be. But even though it costs them less to have people use WiFi or Network Extenders, they can still find more ways to make money off of it, like when they still charge minutes even though it runs on my ISP connection.

That's what their level 2 tech had said to me. While most level 1 CSRs don't know what's going on, the level 2s are usually pretty knowledgeable. Either way if they do need more than a standard WiFi chip, I'd imagine the hardware supports it, but it is blocked by the software as Verizon and other carriers have done many times before.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting pretty damn tired of waiting actually. With the hotspot hack and larger screen the Nexus 6 is looking better and better.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of buying a nexus 6 as well so when I get my Google Project Fi invite, I can evaluate the service. I like the concept of Project Fi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been browsing sites to see if anybody wants to trade their nexus 6 myself. It's mostly a wash if you just buy one on swappa then sell the droid turbo

Posted via the Android Central App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay