Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't get why everyone wants Lollipop so badly. I have yet to read one thread on this site or in any other forum where someone got Lollipop then posted "omg, my phone is a million times better now and my battery lasts twice as long."

What's the rush? My Turbo works perfectly as is, and it seems to me most find Lollipop to be a step backwards.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't get why everyone wants Lollipop so badly. I have yet to read one thread on this site or in any other forum where someone got Lollipop then posted "omg, my phone is a million times better now and my battery lasts twice as long."

What's the rush? My Turbo works perfectly as is, and it seems to me most find Lollipop to be a step backwards.

I second that emotion, JJ. As I posted (around 20 posts back), there's absolutely nothing compelling about Lollipop. Everyone expected better battery life, but not one phone that has undergone the upgrade can boast that. Are people expecting some earth-shattering visual upgrade? Well, other than a white background SETTINGS menu, your sea of icons will still look like a sea of icons. Your wallpaper background will look the same. Your widgets will still look the same.

If you enjoy Google's 'material design' so much, the Gmail and Google Messenger app should make you happy happy till Lollipop drops for the Turbo.

I'll be happy to receive the Lollipop upgrade once it's 100% stable, and there are actual measurable improvements to performance and battery life. Maybe that'll come with 5.1x or 5.2x. Either way, I'm more than happy to wait. Kudos to Verizon and Motorola for not wanting to push a poor update on us that improves nothing.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I love how platitudes like "you had 14 days to return it" and "I don't get why everyone wants lollipop so badly" come from people who either have no problems maintaining calls or perfectly operating devices. Mine consistently drops calls when AC is enabled even if I'm stationary in what verizon claims is full 4G LTE coverage. I was promised by verizon Wireless corporate representatives that when AC 1.0 was pushed to devices and enabled because I am in a full 4G LTE coverage area as brought up in Verizon's own website maps

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if the last poster is being sarcastic or not, but every function and app on my Turbo works perfectly and I haven't dropped one call with VoLTE. I still maintain there are lemons out there as I had with my Droid Charge. It may be the build date or a different factory. I also had the GS3 and we found out that some devices were made in China and had more problems than the ones made in Korea. If I had these issue with AC not working I would consider hounding VZW until they provided me with another one, even if it is a like new refurb.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
come from people who either have no problems maintaining calls or perfectly operating devices.

There's a reason I'm only quoting this part. Since you acknowledge there are "people with no problems" and "perfectly operating devices" then it's not the software that is the problem, since those "people" and "devices" have the same software as you. Lollipop won't fix what is likely a hardware problem with your phone.

riccochet

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
There's a reason I'm only quoting this part. Since you acknowledge there are "people with no problems" and "perfectly operating devices" then it's not the software that is the problem, since those "people" and "devices" have the same software as you. Lollipop won't fix what is likely a hardware problem with your phone.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Wife and I, as well as plenty other people on here, have perfectly working phones. I would be getting that phone replaced.

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I love how platitudes like "you had 14 days to return it" and "I don't get why everyone wants lollipop so badly" come from people who either have no problems maintaining calls or perfectly operating devices. Mine consistently drops calls when AC is enabled even if I'm stationary in what verizon claims is full 4G LTE coverage. I was promised by verizon Wireless corporate representatives that when AC 1.0 was pushed to devices and enabled because I am in a full 4G LTE coverage area as brought up in Verizon's own website maps
I've never had the problems you mention. Sounds like your issue is with the coverage area, not with the phone. I've never had a dropped call with AC enabled or disabled. If you drop calls with AC enabled, disable it.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Dont get me wrong I like the phone, but perfect it is not, And as for a return after 14 days, they didn't add advanced calling till months after it cane out. I bought it for the battery and camera. Both are wonderful, front camera is kinda bad in low light but otherwise satisfactory

Posted via the Android Central App

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I second that emotion, JJ. As I posted (around 20 posts back), there's absolutely nothing compelling about Lollipop. Everyone expected better battery life, but not one phone that has undergone the upgrade can boast that. Are people expecting some earth-shattering visual upgrade? Well, other than a white background SETTINGS menu, your sea of icons will still look like a sea of icons. Your wallpaper background will look the same. Your widgets will still look the same.

If you enjoy Google's 'material design' so much, the Gmail and Google Messenger app should make you happy happy till Lollipop drops for the Turbo.

I'll be happy to receive the Lollipop upgrade once it's 100% stable, and there are actual measurable improvements to performance and battery life. Maybe that'll come with 5.1x or 5.2x. Either way, I'm more than happy to wait. Kudos to Verizon and Motorola for not wanting to push a poor update on us that improves nothing.

You don't get why people want the newest OS....really?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
And as for a return after 14 days, they didn't add advanced calling till months after it cane out.

I will say it again: if simultaneous voice and data or advanced calling was important to you when you bought the phone, you should have waited until it was available on the phone or returned it within 14 days when it was not. There were other phones with VoLTE available when the Turbo shipped that had people reporting problems (namely, the 2013 Droids). If you didn't pay attention AND that issue was important to you, it's too bad that it doesn't work for you, but really have nobody to blame but yourself.

VoLTE is pretty new and surely there is a good chance that it will get better, but it's not going to be lollipop that does this: it's going to be a change on Verizon's network that does (namely, one that allows handoff between VoLTE and CDMA without dropping calls, or even allowing WiFi carriage of calls.)

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Yeah blame a consumer not the people who developed the product. I disagree. But you were very informative. Thanks ( not in a sarcastic way)

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
VoLTE is pretty new and surely there is a good chance that it will get better, but it's not going to be lollipop that does this: it's going to be a change on Verizon's network that does (namely, one that allows handoff between VoLTE and CDMA...
If you buy a car the carpet isn't necessarily "important" to you, but if it came half installed you would want it fixed right? But I will take my phone in to be looked at. Even with that issue and slow OS update I still love the turbo. All phones have issues, and I get that. Its all of the phones strengths that I love the phone for , not one one or two features.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That's funny because its a common problem found with the AC function. But I guess you know all

That's a hardware or network issue that you need to take up with Verizon. I've had Advanced Calling activated for months now and have not had a single dropped call. If the issue were software based I'd have lost connection like those with issues. The only difference between us is that were on different devices of the same model and network we are connected to.

You can argue or place the blame wherever you want but Lollipop is not your AC solution. It would be best for you to look into a solution that has a differing variable amongst people rather than one that is the same.

Edit: I see you agree that Lollipop won't fix this and a fix will be on Verizon's side. So take my above for what its worth from your point of view.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.