Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
That's a hardware or network issue that you need to take up with Verizon. I've had Advanced Calling activated for months now and have not had a single dropped call. If the issue were software based I'd have lost connection like those with issues. The only difference between us is that were on different devices of the same model and network we are connected to.

You can argue or place the blame wherever you want but Lollipop is not your AC solution. It would be best for you to look into a solution that has a differing variable amongst people rather than one that is the same.

Edit: I see you agree that Lollipop won't fix this and a fix will be on Verizon's side. So take my above for what its worth from your point of view.

I certainly agree with you broadly, and I do assume that you're probably right. However, I think your conclusion misses that it isn't just the network coverage and individual hardware we're using that is different. Not one of our Turbo's is exactly the same, given the apps and settings we use or don't use. I don't believe that's an exaggeration, either. Given the (relatively small) number of Turbo owners and the various combinations of apps and settings we all choose or not, there are probably no two setups that are exactly alike.

That's why I think it's wrong-headed to "wait for a 100% stable release" as a general concept. Because there is no such thing. Somebody is always going to have some sort of conflict when upgrading to a new OS. It's a matter of how widespread and how significant the issue or issues created by any given OS update.

Like I said, I agree that Lollipop is probably not going to fix an issue with AC, buit I do allow for the possibility that it can. Because it may fix a software conflict of some sort that causes issues now. Maybe that's one you or I don't have, but others do. There are issues where that is more likely to be the case than with AC, but I don't think you can write it off as at least a possibility, either.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
There actually is a big software change that may affect AC when the Turbo gets 5.1. Everyone needs to remember that Google built HD Voice/AC into the source of Lollipop. Currently, AC is a modification (for lack of a better term) to KitKat or Lollipop 5.0.x. I'm not seeing the same type of complaining on the Nexus 6 threads about AC.

Granted this change will probably not make a difference in low coverage areas or true hardware issues, but it might make subtle differences for some people.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I certainly agree with you broadly, and I do assume that you're probably right. However, I think your conclusion misses that it isn't just the network coverage and individual hardware we're using that is different. Not one of our Turbo's is exactly the same, given the apps and settings we use or don't use. I don't believe that's an exaggeration, either. Given the (relatively small) number of Turbo owners and the various combinations of apps and settings we all choose or not, there are probably no two setups that are exactly alike.

That's why I think it's wrong-headed to "wait for a 100% stable release" as a general concept. Because there is no such thing. Somebody is always going to have some sort of conflict when upgrading to a new OS. It's a matter of how widespread and how significant the issue or issues created by any given OS update.

Like I said, I agree that Lollipop is probably not going to fix an issue with AC, buit I do allow for the possibility that it can. Because it may fix a software conflict of some sort that causes issues now. Maybe that's one you or I don't have, but others do. There are issues where that is more likely to be the case than with AC, but I don't think you can write it off as at least a possibility, either.

I do agree an application can conflict but I'm not certain how it would conflict with Advanced Calling and not CDMA. But let's face the fact that matters here: if someone is having an issue due to a third party application that's not on Motorola, Verizon or the system version. The blame falls on no one but the application developer(s).

In saying that since I think you would agree with my above statement, let's look at another thing. There is no such thing as a 100% stable operating system as you know. Windows, iOS, Blackberry, Android, etc. all have stability issues in some regard. Some more than others of course with Apple probably being the most stable. However, given that Android isn't locked down to that degree, its expected to be worse off. The issue becomes, and this is where we all vary, what is acceptable stability wise? To me, its an OS that doesn't crash or lock up. One that doesn't drain my battery more than the previous firmware version.

Do other differ? Sure, but this thread is ridiculous. I am a huge tech nerd and usually buy a new device or two per year. I stopped doing so with the Turbo but I'm in no rush for Lollipop. It won't fix much, in fact, the earlier versions had some huge complaints. I'll take a stable KitKat over an early, unstable Lollipop. Don't get me wrong, I want Lollipop too but not until it runs JUST as well if not better as KK.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
There actually is a big software change that may affect AC when the Turbo gets 5.1. Everyone needs to remember that Google built HD Voice/AC into the source of Lollipop. Currently, AC is a modification (for lack of a better term) to KitKat or Lollipop 5.0.x. I'm not seeing the same type of complaining on the Nexus 6 threads about AC.

Granted this change will probably not make a difference in low coverage areas or true hardware issues, but it might make subtle differences for some people.

If that's the case I had no idea. There was an update that made VoLTE work excellent for me because before it took a second or two to connect both sides to the call. I am not sure what else can be fixed in software since mine works great but I've seen stranger things.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Regarding AC from Motorola---

"Your concern is 100% spot on. *It will only do data/calls at the same time over VoLTE. *

This is very frustrating. *For 3.5 years (since the Thunderbolt) Android devices on Verizon that used Snapdragon processors (95% of them anyway) had a dual antenna setup to accommodate*- one for 1x/cdma/voice, the other for data. *Now because of VoLTE, Verizon is releasing devices (the new X and now the Turbo - the iPhone 6 was the same, but all iPhones lack the dual antenna setup) without the dual antenna setup, basically forcing dependence on their VoLTE, which is beta at best right now. *

I live in one of the strongest LTE areas in the country, and still drop back to 3G in a few places, especially a couple of buildings. *If you're in an area where LTE isn't great, VoLTE is useless and pointless. *
I definitely blame Verizon on this one for being way too confident in their VoLTE network, way too early. *Simultaneous voice/data is important to anybody on the go on a regular basis."

Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I do agree an application can conflict but I'm not certain how it would conflict with Advanced Calling and not CDMA. But let's face the fact that matters here: if someone is having an issue due to a third party application that's not on Motorola, Verizon or the system version. The blame falls on no one but the application developer(s).

If the app can be pinpointed, sure. However, as an example, I had an issue with Moto Assist and the Sleeping function on my Droid Maxx. It would set my Maxx to silent each night as was erxpected, but every single morning I had to manually turn the volume back up. I connected with Moto support and, after several attempts, they were never able to determine why that was happening for me. It wasn't a widespread problem, apparently, but I wasn't the only one experiencing it.

Ultimately, their (predictable) fix was to do a factory reset. As I flatly told them, it wasn't worth it to me to do that for that particular issue. I still don't know what the problem was (if another app was causing it or which one if so). The same feature works fine on my Turbo.

So, I don't think it's as simple as uninstalling a problematic app or working with its developer to fix it. Conflicts can be sneaky.

Last edited:

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
If that's the case I had no idea. There was an update that made VoLTE work excellent for me because before it took a second or two to connect both sides to the call. I am not sure what else can be fixed in software since mine works great but I've seen stranger things.

Yeah, the feature wasn't widely talked about at the release of 5.1, but it could make a difference. Google stated, "High Definition voice calling is now on your mobile phone. Get crystal clear calling with HD Voice between compatible Android 5.1 devices like the Nexus 6 on T-Mobile or Verizon." (see: Official Android Blog: Android 5.1: Unwrapping a new Lollipop update about half way down).

Additionally, Droid-Life was able to get HD Voice on Verizon using a Nexus 6 bought from somewhere else with just the Verizon SIM (see: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/1...e-and-data-now-works-on-nexus-6-with-verizon/). It gives me some hope that things will get a little bit better once 5.1 hits for the Turbo.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, the feature wasn't widely talked about at the release of 5.1, but it could make a difference. Google stated, "High Definition voice calling is now on your mobile phone. Get crystal clear calling with HD Voice between compatible Android 5.1 devices like the Nexus 6 on T-Mobile or Verizon." (see: Official Android Blog: Android 5.1: Unwrapping a new Lollipop update about half way down).

Additionally, Droid-Life was able to get HD Voice on Verizon using a Nexus 6 bought from somewhere else with just the Verizon SIM (see: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/1...e-and-data-now-works-on-nexus-6-with-verizon/). It gives me some hope that things will get a little bit better once 5.1 hits for the Turbo.

That's my hope as well, any improvement is always appreciated

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree with Rob_B. The turbo worked great, then for the past 2 weeks 1/2 of my calls go directly to Voice mail and phone doesn't ring. Tried turning off AC and calling out is worse then. Yep shows full bars here and 4G LTE. chatted with Verizon, motorola and their comment........they know of the problem and "once" there is an update that should solve it. So meantime, put up with it, right? Or keep trading new phone in for refurbished every time it starts.

berserker

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Make sure mobile network is set to CDME/LTE instead of Global. Also try dialing *73. This worked for me.

UPDATE: Solution was only temporary. Missing calls again.

Last edited:

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I also have done those and these from Motorola support.

"1- update all the application , especially the google services , because their permission may impact any other feature on the phone.

2-reset the app preferences: this will reset the previous setup you made in the apps , to do it just apply this steps
on your phone go to settings+select apps+swipe your finger to the left +select all app+select options (3 dots icon) + select reset apps preferences after that restart the device

3- if that does not work , we can use the "wipe cache partition" that basically is going to delete the cookies from the cache memory and also solve any possible glitch (this will NOT delete personal information)*"

Still drop calls

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I also have done those and these from Motorola support.

"1- update all the application , especially the google services , because their permission may impact any other feature on the phone.

2-reset the app preferences: this will reset the previous setup you made in the apps , to do it just apply this steps
on your phone go to settings+select apps+swipe your finger to the left +select all app+select options (3 dots icon) + select reset apps preferences after that restart the device

3- if that does not work , we can use the "wipe cache partition" that basically is going to delete the cookies from the cache memory and also solve any possible glitch (this will NOT delete personal information)*"

Still drop calls

Did all. And they had me wipe Cache partition last. Something weird. Tried changing the Network around again. Get "Network Error". No LTE/CDMA networks were found. Would you like to switch to the Global mode? WTH, Full bars, in 4G LTE area. Very weird.

mcgowane79

May 31, 2011
Visit site
To make things even worse Verizon announced they are rolling out lollipop to the Galaxy S4. This is absolute BS!!! So now a 2yr old device that my wife has had for over a year is getting lollipop before my droid turbo!!!!!!

rader023

May 17, 2010
Visit site
To make things even worse Verizon announced they are rolling out lollipop to the Galaxy S4. This is absolute BS!!! So now a 2yr old device that my wife has had for over a year is getting lollipop before my droid turbo!!!!!!

At least it is only 5.0.1. If it was 5.1 I would lose it.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Ni

http://m.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s5-owners-hows-lollipop-update-treating-you

Read the comments in that URL about what the Verizon S5 users think about the Lollipop update. You won't be so envious. The S5 Forum is also filled with posts of people who have re-flashed back to 4.4.4.

Lollipop 5.0 to 5.0.x has been a major fail for Google. I'll caveat that by saying I did use a Moto X 2014 for a few months with 5.0 and it seemed ok. No major glitches. Hopefully Motorola's brief stay under Google's umbrella gives them a leg up with these updates.

Let's all be happy with 4.4.4 until 5.1 or greater is available for the Turbo.

Last edited:

mcgowane79

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Ni

http://m.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s5-owners-hows-lollipop-update-treating-you

Read the comments in that URL about what the Verizon S5 users think about the Lollipop update. You won't be so envious. The S5 Forum is also filled with posts of people who have re-flashed back to 4.4.4.

Lollipop 5.0 to 5.0.x has been a major fail for Google. I'll caveat that by saying I did use a Moto X 2014 for a few months with 5.0 and it seemed ok. No major glitches. Hopefully Motorola's brief stay under Google's umbrella gives them a leg up with these updates.

Let's all be happy with 4.4.4 until 5.1 or greater is available for the Turbo.

My sister has the s5 and she does hate lollipop only for bad battery life that it caused.

TJ Kelly Jr

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Even the Galaxy s4 has lollipop now on Verizon. it's pathetic what they've done to the turbo.

I was just going to post something about this. So everyone says the update is being held up by Verizon.....why then do they keep pushing out updates to seriously "old" phones but neglect the Turbo, their star flagship phone that was supposed to be "updated quickly"!?!

And by update, I don't mean the two minor VoLTE updates we have gotten.

Too bad we, as loyal consumers, can't force them to do what they said they were going to do. We stuck with Verizon, went with a bad *** flagship phone and now we are getting "rewarded" with super slow updates and serious lack of communication regarding our phone.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I was just going to post something about this. So everyone says the update is being held up by Verizon.....why then do they keep pushing out updates to seriously "old" phones but neglect the Turbo, their star flagship phone that was supposed to be "updated quickly"!?!

And by update, I don't mean the two minor VoLTE updates we have gotten.

Too bad we, as loyal consumers, can't force them to do what they said they were going to do. We stuck with Verizon, went with a bad *** flagship phone and now we are getting "rewarded" with super slow updates and serious lack of communication regarding our phone.

https://youtu.be/48H34ukFe8g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki