Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: no Lollipop a breach of contract?

For that to be legal, the contract would have to stipulate updating to Lollipop as a condition of sale, and nobody has that in their purchase contract. Additionally, which ad are you referring to? I believe that you saw one, I just don't recall it myself.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I agree, that's why people should apply the same logic to the chances of the Turbo getting updated to Lollipop or not. Nevermind what was said or promised by any company because it still may not happen if it doesn't make any business sense. Motorola and Verizon are not your best friends, they are businesses who's primary goals are making money and gaining market share. This doesn't make them cold hearted, I'm sure they'd like to please everyone but they have to please the shareholders first.

Couldn't have said it better

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I know that they promised VoLTE by the end of 2014, to give simultaneous voice and data (which they delivered), but I never saw anything advertised about any Android updates and their timing, except that Motorola promised a Lollipop update to the phone "pending partner support." I never saw anything from Verizon that was different from that.

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

While I can't remember or find any exact ads that specifies a specific timeline, verizons website news release advertises "Upgradable to Android 5.0 Lollipop" A New DROID Experience Arrives in 48 Hours

I'll dig around a little more. Practically every review on the phone mentions that verizon/ motorolla promises an update somewhere around end of 2014. Need to find where the reviewers got their info from..

also.. "Upgradable " implies that it should have been out of the box.

TJ Kelly Jr

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Yay, another Motorola phone that's not the Turbo starting a soak test for lollipop!!!! Will we ever get ours?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I agree, that's why people should apply the same logic to the chances of the Turbo getting updated to Lollipop or not. Nevermind what was said or promised by any company because it still may not happen if it doesn't make any business sense. Motorola and Verizon are not your best friends, they are businesses who's primary goals are making money and gaining market share. This doesn't make them cold hearted, I'm sure they'd like to please everyone but they have to please the shareholders first.

The Turbo is getting Lollipop.

Regardless of the size of the customer base that cares, the promise was overtly made that not only was the Turbo getting Lollipop (originally) but it was jumping to 5.1. It's out there publicly...twice.

You don't think the vocal minority (tech sites like AC, Droid Life, etc.) wouldn't be ripping Verizon a new one if it went back on its public word for its *flagship* device? No chance that doesn't turn in to a huge PR black eye, no matter how many actual customers have Turbos and regularly watch for this sort of thing. A story like that has legs, especially with so many Verizon haters in the wild already.

There is zero chance this phone doesn't get the OS update.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I know that they promised VoLTE by the end of 2014, to give simultaneous voice and data (which they delivered), but I never saw anything advertised about any Android updates and their timing, except that Motorola promised a Lollipop update to the phone "pending partner support." I never saw anything from Verizon that was different from that.

That's correct. It was the AC update they promised by the end of last year, and that they rolled out in time. Otherwise, as mentioned already the terminology on the Turbo at launch was "upgradable" to Andorid 5.0 Lollipop, with no timeframe attached.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

While I can't remember or find any exact ads that specifies a specific timeline, verizons website news release advertises "Upgradable to Android 5.0 Lollipop" A New DROID Experience Arrives in 48 Hours

I'll dig around a little more. Practically every review on the phone mentions that verizon/ motorolla promises an update somewhere around end of 2014. Need to find where the reviewers got their info from..

also.. "Upgradable " implies that it should have been out of the box.

Upgradeable doesn't mean out of the box upgradeable, it just means that the phone has the hardware to be able to upgrade, and it is.

No reviewer has ever said that Motorola or Verizon stated that the LP update would come by the end of 2014. They said the AC update would come by then and as others have stated, it did. Neither Motorola nor Verizon have ever given a timeline for the update. The ONLY things we've heard from them regarding the update was that 1. It would be upgraded to LP, and 2. That it would skip the 5.0 builds and go directly to 5.1. That's it, no timeline or any hard date. If a reviewer said anything about a time line it was either their supposition, or if they explicitly gave a timeframe and said it as a fact, THEY were the ones lying. They don't speak for Verizon or Motorola, Verizon and Motorola do. They haven't given any info on a possible release date in commercials, press releases, or social media.

Besides all that, is that really worth taking it to court over? If you have buyer's remorse, sell it and get a different phone. I'd bet money, once it actually drops, people will either be non plussed by it, or they'll be angry that it screwed up their phone or they don't like the features that aren't there anymore in LP. It happens with every update, everyone makes a huge deal about they have to have it now, and then when they do get it they're either ambivalent or angry.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I did see Phandroid's review say that Motorola said the Lollipop update would happen fast.... but no specific timeframe.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I think the reviews based the "fast update" idea on what happened with the 2013 Moto X.

As for a "breach of contract" because the update didn't come out quickly, find the wording about OS updates within a certain timeframe IN the contract and you may have a case. Otherwise, it's more of a false advertising or bait and switch, though they never gave a date for the update and they are still waiting for Motorola to push it so on the surface it's not even VERIZON'S fault.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
From Motorola, LOL, don't believe a word anyone says anymore :p

Dan: Hi, my name is Dan. How may I help you?
Pam: Hi Dan, my name is Pam. I have the OUTDATED Droid Turbo, still running 4.4.4. I am wondering IF and/or when this phone will be updated to 5.1, as promised? Thanks for input.
Dan: My apologies for any inconvenience that happened. I understand your concern and no worries, I’ll be more than willing to help you since we always want to make it right for you here at Motorola.

May I get a working phone number we can call in case we get disconnected and your location (state/country) please?

Pam: 570-xxx-xxxx, Pennsylvania , USA
Dan: Thanks
Dan: Did your phone prompt you before about an update?
Pam: No it has not, last update was March 13, when I purchased the phone and that was to fix Verizon AC.
Dan: Can you go to settings>about phone>software update?
Pam: Just checked, says it's to date on, 4.4.4
Dan: I see.
Pam: So when will the 5.1 be released?
Dan: Updates are actually being sent in batches Your device is actually included on the device that will receive the update. We already released it and it was sent to your carriers. They are the ones who send it on your devices.
Pam: Okay thank you. I will get ahold of Verizon Wireless. Would you mind if I forward our chat session to them? As they state they have no idea if or when it will be released.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
You don't think the vocal minority (tech sites like AC, Droid Life, etc.) wouldn't be ripping Verizon a new one if it went back on its public word for its *flagship* device? No chance that doesn't turn in to a huge PR black eye, no matter how many actual customers have Turbos and regularly watch for this sort of thing. A story like that has legs, especially with so many Verizon haters in the wild already.

There is zero chance this phone doesn't get the OS update.

Just to be clear I'm not saying it's not getting the Lollipop, I'm saying there's a significant chance it won't given how much additional time/money/resources which effects other Lollipop projects that have deadlines.

The huge problem with your statement that "There is zero chance this phone doesn't get the OS update" which is the same as claiming you know with 100% certainty that it is getting the update, is that we don't even know the extent of what was preventing the first update from happening. Obviously the engineering group tasked with updating the Turbo encountered a big enough problem that it wasn't feasible for them to continue. Given what's been made public it sounds like it may have been issues with VoLTE that gave them problems. Furthermore it sounds like the engineering team is hypothesizing and hoping by skipping to 5.1 it will solve all those problems because VoLTE support is "baked in" that version of Android but until they try it nobody knows and maybe there were other problems not made public that we don't know about.

There is not a 100% chance that the Turbo will successfully get an update to Lollipop. Only death and taxes are examples of 100% certainty.

If as you put it a "vocal minority" of blog sites report the failure, so what? By definition a minority isn't going to make Verizon loose sleep over anything. Ask the average person on the street if they've heard of the Turbo and I think you'll be surprised. Nobody who's seen my phone and commented knew what it was. I often get, "Oh, you got the new Galaxy 6, cool!"

I hope it get's the update but if it does I'm sure the next generation of phones will already be getting ready to launch and that's where my mind will be. I don't spend a lot of money on stuff but my one vice in life is I try to get the latest and greatest phone each year when they come out. I suspect my life with the Turbo will end up Lollipop-less.

Ricky Gray1

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I talked to Verizon, my rep was really nice. She talked with someone at a higher tier or something like that, they told her they have 5.1 and it will be released between now and Sunday.. Whether or not that's the truth I don't know.....

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Just to be clear I'm not saying it's not getting the Lollipop, I'm saying there's a significant chance it won't given how much additional time/money/resources which effects other Lollipop projects that have deadlines.

The huge problem with your statement that "There is zero chance this phone doesn't get the OS update" which is the same as claiming you know with 100% certainty that it is getting the update, is that we don't even know the extent of what was preventing the first update from happening. Obviously the engineering group tasked with updating the Turbo encountered a big enough problem that it wasn't feasible for them to continue. Given what's been made public it sounds like it may have been issues with VoLTE that gave them problems. Furthermore it sounds like the engineering team is hypothesizing and hoping by skipping to 5.1 it will solve all those problems because VoLTE support is "baked in" that version of Android but until they try it nobody knows and maybe there were other problems not made public that we don't know about.

There is not a 100% chance that the Turbo will successfully get an update to Lollipop. Only death and taxes are examples of 100% certainty.

If as you put it a "vocal minority" of blog sites report the failure, so what? By definition a minority isn't going to make Verizon loose sleep over anything. Ask the average person on the street if they've heard of the Turbo and I think you'll be surprised. Nobody who's seen my phone and commented knew what it was. I often get, "Oh, you got the new Galaxy 6, cool!"

I hope it get's the update but if it does I'm sure the next generation of phones will already be getting ready to launch and that's where my mind will be. I don't spend a lot of money on stuff but my one vice in life is I try to get the latest and greatest phone each year when they come out. I suspect my life with the Turbo will end up Lollipop-less.

Zero chance. There is no chance they don't update the Turbo to Lollipop. Whether or not that causes the world to implode or not, they aren't going to simply skip an update to their flagship phone when they've announced that update is coming. Want to bet?

The point about the "vocal mionority" is that it would succeed in helping the story spread much wider. People who don't care *now* would hear about it, and they would agree it sucks, Moto sucks, Veriozon sucks, etc.

I understand that we all have varying levels of patience, some are more interested in the update than others (regardless of patience level) and so on. That's no rreason to think Verizon is just going to throw its hands up and give us an "our bad." Will not happen.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I talked to Verizon, my rep was really nice. She talked with someone at a higher tier or something like that, they told her they have 5.1 and it will be released between now and Sunday.. Whether or not that's the truth I don't know.....

If it's the truth, it means that there was no soak test, because we'd know about that (since we all know some people don't know what "confidentiality" means when they sign on to participate).

I don't find it believable that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech