Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I can't wait until the update finally comes and this is replaced by a "lollipop broke my phone, wish I could go back to kit Kat" thread.

Back to lurking...

Posted via the Android Central App

This is so true... And yet... Will be so sad. Something tells me that the one's being so ticked off here will be the one's that LP horks their Turbo! My Nexus 7 2013 has had LP for awhile... Actually updated a few times in the past month or so, and I do like LP and it runs just great on my N7... BUT! My phones in the past have all gone downhill after each major Android update. So, not too anxious for LP on my Turbo at the moment.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
This is so true... And yet... Will be so sad. Something tells me that the one's being so ticked off here will be the one's that LP horks their Turbo! My Nexus 7 2013 has had LP for awhile... Actually updated a few times in the past month or so, and I do like LP and it runs just great on my N7... BUT! My phones in the past have all gone downhill after each major Android update. So, not too anxious for LP on my Turbo at the moment.

Totally! But I think IRS just our tech crazy nature. We will always talk about whatever issue is hot at the moment. Always hoping for that perfect device. The turbo has a few shortcomings, but it has strengths in spades. Let's all hope the Lollipop can improve the few downfalls, I.e. the camera etc...

MattRevs

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I talked to Verizon, my rep was really nice. She talked with someone at a higher tier or something like that, they told her they have 5.1 and it will be released between now and Sunday.. Whether or not that's the truth I don't know.....

Welp! Its Sunday!

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I'm not really sure what's gonna be different, I'll still change home app to Google, I'll still have same apps and wallpapers, I'll just get more annoying notifications and a different drop down, whew can't wait!

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
The rumor is still very vague. Why write a detailed article about the complexity of the software being the hold-up but be clueless when 5.1 will be available for update.

Droid Turbo Android 5.1 Lollipop Update Release Date: Device Will Go Straight To 5.1, Skip 5.0 Says Motorola

Because detailing that it is complex explains why they're uncertain when it will be released. The more complex something is, the more uncertain as to how long it will take to solve it.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Anybody ever wonder if it has to do with Verizon's request vs payment? They'd pay twice to go from 5.0 to 5.1. My assumption is that they're balancing the maturity of Android's OS release with how much they want to pay Motorola for those software updates.

Motorola shouldn't provide updates until they receive payment for services. At least that's my presumption. If the droid turbo was a big seller I'd think Verizon is more likely to invest in it.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
To be honest I'm not really sure what's gonna be different, I'll still change home app to Google, I'll still have same apps and wallpapers, I'll just get more annoying notifications and a different drop down, whew can't wait!

So I'm guessing that trusted places, trusted devices and encryption, just overall better security just doesn't interest you. Yea me either, give me wallpaper with my 5 month old Lollipop.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So I'm guessing that trusted places, trusted devices and encryption, just overall better security just doesn't interest you. Yea me either, give me wallpaper with my 5 month old Lollipop.

IIRC, wasn't encryption disabled due to poor performance, or was it just made a user option?

As far as trusted devices, that was started by Motorola devices going back to I believe the 2013 Moto X, so that's not really a new thing for Motorola devices. I believe you can already take advantage of that with the Turbo. I'll know for certain when I get my Keylink later this week, but I could've sworn that Motorola devices had that for awhile now. If I'm wrong someone speak up.

Google seems to be raiding Motorola's features for stock Android with things like trusted devices, Touchless voice control, and even parts of Assist being incorporated into stock Android.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Because detailing that it is complex explains why they're uncertain when it will be released. The more complex something is, the more uncertain as to how long it will take to solve it.

The same thing happened in March. Maybe they didn't outright call the issue a software complexity issue, but what else would cause the delay? It's obvious that the last two months have been one contradictory statement after another.

The decision to announce, once again, the Turbo will be upgrading its OS to LP with again, no date, does nothing but instigate anger. Like I said. The problem is blatantly obvious. There isn't any point to pour gasoline on a fire.

Ajay Malhotra

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Maybe you don't care about the update - but maybe I don't care about the specific device. At this point I'd rather have just waited for the S6 and have the features I want (mainly pull down menu settings changes - which I had on my original galaxy S4 anyway as part of touchwhiz or whatever).

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The same thing happened in March. Maybe they didn't outright call the issue a software complexity issue, but what else would cause the delay? It's obvious that the last two months have been one contradictory statement after another.

The decision to announce, once again, the Turbo will be upgrading its OS to LP with again, no date, does nothing but instigate anger. Like I said. The problem is blatantly obvious. There isn't any point to pour gasoline on a fire.

Yep. That's the faux update that passes for actual info nowadays (not only in the cell world).

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: no Lollipop a breach of contract?

Regardless of anything, advertisements are not binding, legal agreement in most cases. VZW would probably just laugh at you and beg you to take them to court. You'd spend more in 3 hours than you would paying ETFs, and you'd still probably lose.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Regardless of anything, advertisements are not binding, legal agreement in most cases. VZW would probably just laugh at you and beg you to take them to court. You'd spend more in 3 hours than you would paying ETFs, and you'd still probably lose.

Actually advertisements are legally binding. Not only would you likely be able to get out of your contract, but you could also receive monetary damages if you bought a phone based on an advertisement and it was found to be false advertising.
The issue here is there was no date given as to when the Turbo will get lollipop, so as long as it is still on track to get it, there is no false advertisement in this case.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

You already have Trusted Bluetooth.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Title says it all. Has anyone tried getting out of their contract due to the lack of Lollipop update? From what I recall the ads stated lollipop should arrive by end of 2014.
I've seen posts about a possible lawsuit? Based on past lawsuits you'd be lucky to get $10 out of that. Far more valuable would be a free upgrade.

Link to ad?

Status
Not open for further replies.