Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: no Lollipop a breach of contract?

Upgradeable doesn't mean out of the box upgradeable, it just means that the phone has the hardware to be able to upgrade, and it is.

No reviewer has ever said that Motorola or Verizon stated that the LP update would come by the end of 2014. They said the AC update would come by then and as others have stated, it did. Neither Motorola nor Verizon have ever given a timeline for the update. The ONLY things we've heard from them regarding the update was that 1. It would be upgraded to LP, and 2. That it would skip the 5.0 builds and go directly to 5.1. That's it, no timeline or any hard date. If a reviewer said anything about a time line it was either their supposition, or if they explicitly gave a timeframe and said it as a fact, THEY were the ones lying. They don't speak for Verizon or Motorola, Verizon and Motorola do. They haven't given any info on a possible release date in commercials, press releases, or social media.

Besides all that, is that really worth taking it to court over? If you have buyer's remorse, sell it and get a different phone. I'd bet money, once it actually drops, people will either be non plussed by it, or they'll be angry that it screwed up their phone or they don't like the features that aren't there anymore in LP. It happens with every update, everyone makes a huge deal about they have to have it now, and then when they do get it they're either ambivalent or angry.

To be clear, I think it'd be a huge waste of time going to court over the update. I'm not asking if we can take them to court. In past similar cases I don't think iv'e ever seen more than $10 awarded to users, and it took years.
I'm asking for something of real value. I'm asking if anyone has attempted to get an early upgrade to another phone due to the lack of updates. That's what I meant when I said 'breach of contract'.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

To be clear, I think it'd be a huge waste of time going to court over the update. I'm not asking if we can take them to court. In past similar cases I don't think iv'e ever seen more than $10 awarded to users, and it took years.
I'm asking for something of real value. I'm asking if anyone has attempted to get an early upgrade to another phone due to the lack of updates. That's what I meant when I said 'breach of contract'.

There is no breach of contract.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
What are you going to upgrade to? I had the N6, nothing special other than being big. Same internals as the Turbo. Bluetooth didn't work in my cars.

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Link to ad?

I was originally going off memory.
The best I can do right now is this:
A New DROID Experience Arrives in 48 Hours

It states "Upgradable to Android 5.0 Lollipop"

The argument that this just means that hardware is capable of handling lollipop is false. . To be upgradable, the user has to be given the ability to upgrade it.
By that argument, My Lenovo laptop could advertise "upgradable to OSX Yosemite". I don't think that'd fly.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
So I'm guessing that trusted places, trusted devices and encryption, just overall better security just doesn't interest you. Yea me either, give me wallpaper with my 5 month old Lollipop.

Posted via the Android Central App

I couldn't have said it better myself, thanks!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Anybody ever wonder if it has to do with Verizon's request vs payment? They'd pay twice to go from 5.0 to 5.1. My assumption is that they're balancing the maturity of Android's OS release with how much they want to pay Motorola for those software updates.

Motorola shouldn't provide updates until they receive payment for services. At least that's my presumption. If the droid turbo was a big seller I'd think Verizon is more likely to invest in it.

Keep in mind I don't have any insight or knowledge as to how Verizon's deals with manufacturers work, but I doubt that this is the issue.

I would assume that their contract would be to include all necessary software updates, and not an a la carte sort of deal where the carrier is able to pick an choose updates to save a few bucks.

In terms of money, however, I'd be a lot more likely to believe that Verizon would withhold certain updates if they felt that the risk for increased customer service calls and device replacements outweighed any of the proposed features and benefits. For example, if someone at R&D said, "We've tested the update, and it looks OK, but one in ten phones the phone dialer stops working and a factory reset is needed...and one in twenty phones went into a bootloop and never recovered". Then Verizon is probably NOT gonna release that update, because it would cost them more to deal with the potential problems.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The argument that this just means that hardware is capable of handling lollipop is false. . To be upgradable, the user has to be given the ability to upgrade it.
By that argument, My Lenovo laptop could advertise "upgradable to OSX Yosemite". I don't think that'd fly.

How so?

IMO, that statement reads that the DROID Turbo can be upgraded to Android 5.0 Lollipop. It doesn't say it will. It doesn't say when.

Last edited:

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Unless Verizon provides Droid Turbo owners with the proverbial keys to unlock & upgrade to lollipop themselves, I read that as verizon has to upgrade it to lollipop for them

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

It is false? What does upgradeable mean? Able to upgrade. There are plenty of times when new phones are released and they say upgradeable to incoming OS version. It just means that the hardware is compatible and there are plans to upgrade to the upcoming OS, when the update is made available by the OEM and the carrier approves it. As far as the customer being able to upgrade it, for the most part, the customer doesn't upgrade, an over the air (OTA) update is pushed to the customer's device. The only instances where a customer initiates the update is rooting or doing an RUU update or through something like Kies with Samsung.

We're not talking about updating the Turbo to iOS, we're talking about upgrading the device to the newest OS version for Android. Have you ever seen a Lenovo or any other Windows OEM say their Windows 7 PC was upgradeable to Windows 8? Or a Windows 8 machine that will be upgeadeable to Windows 10? They do that all the time, the only difference is on home computers, many times the customer does initiate the update (unless they have automatic updates enabled).

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

And like I said, they're not going to that. The only reason they would even allow you to go to another device after having three bad devices of the same model is because of lemon laws. Do you think Verizon's just going to start handing out $600 phones? You can try all you want, but of all of the carriers, I'd say you'd have the least luck with Verizon.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

And like I said, they're not going to that. The only reason they would even allow you to go to another device after having three bad devices of the same model is because of lemon laws. Do you think Verizon's just going to start handing out $600 phones? You can try all you want, but of all of the carriers, I'd say you'd have the least luck with Verizon.

All of this.

I've had device exchanges because the device didn't work properly. But to think Verizon would change you from a Turbo to a new phone because Lollipop hasn't come yet is just not reasonable. Its an update that is not going to make or break your phone. You'll get Lollipop as promised but no date was ever promised.

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

It is false? What does upgradeable mean? Able to upgrade. There are plenty of times when new phones are released and they say upgradeable to incoming OS version. It just means that the hardware is compatible and there are plans to upgrade to the upcoming OS, when the update is made available by the OEM and the carrier approves it. As far as the customer being able to upgrade it, for the most part, the customer doesn't upgrade, an over the air (OTA) update is pushed to the customer's device. The only instances where a customer initiates the update is rooting or doing an RUU update or through something like Kies with Samsung.

We're not talking about updating the Turbo to iOS, we're talking about upgrading the device to the newest OS version for Android. Have you ever seen a Lenovo or any other Windows OEM say their Windows 7 PC was upgradeable to Windows 8? Or a Windows 8 machine that will be upgeadeable to Windows 10? They do that all the time, the only difference is on home computers, many times the customer does initiate the update (unless they have automatic updates enabled).

If it is 'able to upgrade' then go do it..
You can't? Then the phone is not 'able to upgrade' then, is it? its locked down, purposely made unable to upgrade at this time and for the foreseeable future.

Lets look at a more extreme case..
You buy an Xbox 4, which is marketed as 'games are playable' or 'able to play games'.. you get home you power it up, pop in a game, and you get a popup that says 'unable to play games until we upgrade the system'. You wait 6 months, and still no upgrade.. Do you consider this console 'able to play games' or do you consider the original statement false?

The phone is not upgradable to Lollipop until verizon/motorolla releases an upgrade to lollipop. At this time it is Unupgradable.

ANY android phone's hardware is technically compatible with Lollipop with enough tweeks and disregard for performance. If I post a HTC G1 on Ebay and list 'upgradable to 5.0 lollipop' do you consider that correct information?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

IYou buy an Xbox 4, which is marketed as 'games are playable' or 'able to play games'.. you get home you power it up, pop in a game, and you get a popup that says 'unable to play games until we upgrade the system'. You wait 6 months, and still no upgrade.. Do you consider this console 'able to play games' or do you consider the original statement false?

Which Android apps are you unable to use because the phone is not upgraded to Lollipop?

ANY android phone's hardware is technically compatible with Lollipop with enough tweeks and disregard for performance. If I post a HTC G1 on Ebay and list 'upgradable to 5.0 lollipop' do you consider that correct information?

That's a bad analogy. Lollipop requires an ARMv8 processor and a minimum of 340 MB RAM (though it's really 512 MB RAM minimum to do anything). An HTC G1 does not have close to these minimum hardware requirements to run Lollipop, so that statement would, in fact, be false.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

You can't? Then the phone is not 'able to upgrade' then, is it? its locked down, purposely made unable to upgrade at this time and for the foreseeable future.

You buy an Xbox 4, which is marketed as 'games are playable' or 'able to play games'.. you get home you power it up, pop in a game, and you get a popup that says 'unable to play games until we upgrade the system'. You wait 6 months, and still no upgrade.. Do you consider this console 'able to play games' or do you consider the original statement false?

The phone is not upgradable to Lollipop until verizon/motorolla releases an upgrade to lollipop. At this time it is Unupgradable.

You really are taking an extreme view of this situation. Going by what you're saying, no phone is upgradeable to the next OS update. I've seen Samsung, HTC, LG, devices all say they're upgradeable to the upcoming update. But the thing is, again outside of rooting, RUU, or Kies, the customer doesn't upgrade, the OEM/ carrier pushes the update. Apple states when they come out with a new version of iOS which models will be upgradeable to it, but it's not ready to upgrade at that moment. It will be upgradeable when the OS is available, but that doesn't mean it's not upgradeable, it just means it's upgradeable when the update is available.

That's a pretty broad example. What would you think of a gaming console that said "games are playable"? Now if they said Halo games are playable, that would be closer. But if the newest game isn't available yet, it's not playable until you insert the game into the console or it's available online.

Exactly. But does it say on Verizon's website that the Turbo is upgradeable to Lollipop right now? By that I mean does it say that you can do the upgrade right this second? No, it just says it is able to be upgraded. And if you want to technical about it, it says it's upgradable to Android Lollipop 5.0, which is false since the Turbo is set to skip 5.0 and go straight to 5.1.

Not necessarily, but beyond that when they say it's upgradeable to Lollipop or whatever other OS version they're talking about, they mean OFFICIALLY upgradable to that version. They don't discuss non official ways to update, because that voids the warranty.

Nothing they have said is false. The phone is officially going to be upgraded to Lollipop, pending partner support. Using semantics to make your case, saying that upgradable means able to upgrade right this second rather than upgradable when the update is available or that the hardware allows for the upgrade to happen, is nit picking. But if you think your case is so solid, why keep stating your case to us? We can't do anything about it. Call Verizon and tell them what you've told us and see what happens. I'm no psychic, but I see disappointment in your future.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Ya'll realize there are over 1000 posts on something no one on this forum can control, influence, are make happen faster?
Wow, people get worked up over some really insignificant things.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ya'll realize there are over 1000 posts on something no one on this forum can control, influence, are make happen faster?

And about one that even more people don't even know about and are thrilled with the phone as it was the day it was bought.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

You're playing at semantics.

If Verizon pushes a Lollipop update to your Turbo, Its chosen way to upgrade phones of all sorts, it will upgrade to Lollipop. Because it is upgrade able. It's right there in the word.

Beyond that, you're grasping at stuff that isn't there. If you're upset it's taking so long for the Lollipop upgrade to roll out, you obviously aren't alone in that, but words mean stuff and upgradeable fits the Turbo and Lollipop.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Wow, people get worked up over some really insignificant things.

I always love it when people add to threads to complain about the uselessness of the rest of the thread.

This thread was created 6 months ago this Wednesday. That the dioscussion has reached more than 1,000 posts sort of speaks to the issue at hand.

I for one am not "worked up." Plenty of others aren't either. Some are. So, just like everything else on the forums, opinions vary.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I for one still don't see what all the Lollipop fuss is about. What's it do to make the Turbo better?

Trusted devices? We've got that.

Lockscreen notifications? We've got that.

Encryption? Got that too.

ART runtime? Already an option.

Someone please tell me, in all seriousness, what is so great about Lollipop that has so many up in arms?

If it's just wanting updates, go get an Apple device and be guaranteed at least 1 update a year for about 4 years. Otherwise, enjoy what is already a perfectly performing Droid Turbo.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz