Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Moto Camera app just got an update in Play Store. Hopefully a step towards a larger update.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

I noticed that and also noticed the Turbo is back on the landing page of Verizonwireless.com as the second item in the scrolling animations at the top of the page. At least they are paying some attention to what I still think is a great device in spite of no updates.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Moto Camera app just got an update in Play Store. Hopefully a step towards a larger update.

It's for all of the recent Moto devices, not just the Turbo, so I don't think it means anything for any OS updates. Saying that, it's a nice update for what it does, because I often don't like the exposure setting that the app uses automatically, even with the draggable exposure control on the screen.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Let's try to avoid telling each other what moderators can or cannot do. Thanks for the effort to get back on track - let's keep it that way. :)

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Now that the Google+ page has disappeared, check out the DroidLife post about the Turbo getting Lollipop in "mid-June": http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/20/verizon-test-engineer-says-droid-turbo-gets-lollipop-in-mid-june-opens-up-about-update-process-hints-at-new-moto-x/#more-167606

This is fantastic news for all of us who are sick of this comment thread!! :p

Cool article, and yes so sick of reading about the lollipop update. But its kind of an addiction now 👿

Posted via the Android Central App

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Now that the Google+ page has disappeared, check out the DroidLife post about the Turbo getting Lollipop in "mid-June": http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/20/verizon-test-engineer-says-droid-turbo-gets-lollipop-in-mid-june-opens-up-about-update-process-hints-at-new-moto-x/#more-167606

This is fantastic news for all of us who are sick of this comment thread!!
I'm really curious about the original Google+ post being removed and the speed it happened. It was yanked down immediately for whatever reason.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm really curious about the original Google+ post being removed and the speed it happened. It was yanked down immediately for whatever reason.

Me too, one one hand it makes it sound legit. On the other hand that's a good way to make it SEEM real. The fact that other sites are posting articles on it also makes me think it could be for real. ?!?!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Supposedly the guy who posted was an engineer who works at Verizon and many of his comments within the post seemed to start something like "I shouldn't be saying this but" or "I'll get in trouble if I say more but" so I'm sure he was either asked to take it down or decided to take it down himself to avoid getting into trouble.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Supposedly the guy who posted was an engineer who works at Verizon and many of his comments within the post seemed to start something like "I shouldn't be saying this but" or "I'll get in trouble if I say more but" so I'm sure he was either asked to take it down or decided to take it down himself to avoid getting into trouble.
If I had to guess I'd say that the post was legit from the engineer's point of view but it's likely Verizon management had the post yanked. While everyone wants a hard date, if it's given and anything arises to cause a further delay it's a PR mess. IMHO, in this scenario Verizon sees providing no hard date as the lesser of 2 evils.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
https://plus.google.com/107679240815941684447/posts/GNQvHsuLXch

Sorry followers... I got in trouble for Turbo announcement... Need to keep my mouth shut from now on... Enjoy Verizon services and our great devices.

His other posts looks like he could be legit. https://plus.google.com/107679240815941684447/posts

If you look at one of the posts, he's in a Verizon YouTube testing lab video. https://youtu.be/ihpl8yl2A98

I'd say he's legit. We'll see if his info was in a few weeks. If they are talking mid-June there should be a soak test starting sometime between a couple of weeks from now and then.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Are any of you guys thinking that once 5.1 comes to the Turbo the new feed will be when will 5.1.1 come out. I feel it is inevitable...

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit surprised this engineer is making public announcements regarding a time frame for the Turbo to update to 5.1. He's not a spokesman, and typically in companies as large as Motorola and Verizon, they have a legal and/or public relations office handle things of this nature.

Engineering typically doesn't work with release dates. Production and logistics typically take care of milestones. I'm a Mechanical Engineer turned Physicist and throughout my career in both capacities, I was never aware of such information. While his intentions might be in the right place, he isn't providing a service to anyone; especially when what he's offering is all very inconclusive. Engineers stick to facts and avoid hearsay.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I get two feelings, the first was this is BS. The second is that maybe this is a great way to give a release date that Verizon can't be held to. As a marketer I see the huge advantages of this.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit surprised this engineer is making public announcements regarding a time frame for the Turbo to update to 5.1. He's not a spokesman, and typically in companies as large as Motorola and Verizon, they have a legal and/or public relations office handle things of this nature.

Of course you are right, and that's likely why he was told to take the post down. But, he's not merely an engineer; he's an engineer in the testing lab, which certifies when devices and updates are ready to go on the network. So, I'd say it's entirely possible he has a pretty decent idea of the standing of smartphone upgrade status. (He also says that he owns a Turbo himself - according to his posts, he went back to it after being underwhelmed by the S6, though a later one says he's getting an S6 Edge.)

He shared an article on G+ about his earlier post this morning, which suggests that Verizon/his boss isn't necessarily monitoring his account, or he likes living on the edge (or was told it was ok??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae