Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmoss84

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Mods, please allow for new threads to be created relating to actual lollipop updates. Relevant helpful information is easily lost among the trash posts in this one.

Posted via the Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
First off the current OS isn't free of bugs so let's not pretend everything is awesome. Secondly I think people want the choice to upgrade to 5.0 which some people on this thread aren't understanding. You don't have to update your phone but if someone else want's to update to 5.0 that's their prerogative. However staying on an old OS could eventually run into problems as apps become dependent on API's used in newer OS versions.

The issue with this statement is that Verizon and Motorola are fully aware of the issues that 5.0 Lollipop brings with it. You're correct in saying that KitKat, or any piece of technology for that matter, is never perfect. However, Verizon and Motorola are not going to release an update that is known to have issues because the backlash would be far worse than a small minority complaining that it hasn't arrived on an internet forum. Giving the option to update is great but not everyone who updates will know about the issues until they download the update. Even if Verizon and Motorola notated them on the download screen, it is a loss because people will say why did they release what seems like a Beta to the public. Again, its a no win situation but I do understand why people want it.

Mods, please allow for new threads to be created relating to actual lollipop updates. Relevant helpful information is easily lost among the trash posts in this one.

What helpful information are you looking for? This is a discussion with a lot if varying opinions. That's what a message board is meant for. When Lollipop has some solid information/dates for the Turbo you're more than welcome to create a new thread to discuss it. :)

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
A New DROID Experience Arrives in 48 Hours

At release, it was noted that DROID Turbo is "Upgradable to Android 5.0 Lollipop".

This poster tried to argue that there's some sort of false advertising going on since the update isn't out yet. http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...-lollipop-software-update-41.html#post4420045

I don't think it is technically false advertising, but by most accounts it is misleading. Be honest, when this announcement about the Turbo came out in October of last year, how many really would have thought we would be 8 months down the road with no update? I think if we would have done a poll 99% would have predicted before June 2015 with most being in the January area. And with no real communication about when it might actually be coming, I think that is very poor service and leads to frustration.

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
So what? Moto should be the first out of the gate right after Nexus....and its been what now? 7 or 8 months and still nothing.
The post I was replying to asked, with the intention that the "obvious" answer was "none", what phones hadn't gotten lollipop yet.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That is probably the main reason for waiting, the people like us care but overall there are TONS of people who dont give a sheeet what version of android they are running. Just like how some people dont care about their car, all it does for them i turn on and they hit the gas to go.
Please keep language above board.

via Asus Zenfone 2. Android Central Moderator.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I keep reading claims that Verizon is withholding the update because of problems with lollipop...but if this is true why have they been releasing it to lots of other phones? And if you say because its a flag ship for them I'll disagree. If that really meant so much to them they would have pushed it out earlier. Just saying.

Posted from the BS detection agency

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I keep reading claims that Verizon is withholding the update because of problems with lollipop...but if this is true why have they been releasing it to lots of other phones? And if you say because its a flag ship for them I'll disagree. If that really meant so much to them they would have pushed it out earlier. Just saying.

Because its their "exclusive flagship" and neither Motorola nor Verizon want to do it.

Do you think Verizon wants to hold it back for both reason? That's not how corporations operate because some people get pissed off over that. A smart company doesn't push out a faulty product, which in this case, is 5.0.

I can't say for sure but I'd have to believe the Turbo is different from other devices. Verizon has an exclusive deal for this in the USA and as such probably wants it to be the best it can be.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it is technically false advertising, but by most accounts it is misleading. Be honest, when this announcement about the Turbo came out in October of last year, how many really would have thought we would be 8 months down the road with no update? I think if we would have done a poll 99% would have predicted before June 2015 with most being in the January area. And with no real communication about when it might actually be coming, I think that is very poor service and leads to frustration.

The DROID Turbo is still scheduled to get Lollipop. The only new news would be either the update finally pushes out or Motorola back tracks.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
First off the current OS isn't free of bugs so let's not pretend everything is awesome. Secondly I think people want the choice to upgrade to 5.0 which some people on this thread aren't understanding. You don't have to update your phone but if someone else want's to update to 5.0 that's their prerogative. However staying on an old OS could eventually run into problems as apps become dependent on API's used in newer OS versions.

So you'd be okay with pushing out an update that may or may not fix the issues in KK, but will introduce issues in the new update? And the problem with just not updating is that IIRC, you can only defer the update for so long. If you want to be the first to try the update, you could always sign up to be part of the network that soak tests the updates.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So what? Moto should be the first out of the gate right after Nexus....and its been what now? 7 or 8 months and still nothing.

They're no longer owned by Google, and just because they have a close to stock version if Android doesn't mean they can't still have issues with the changes that they HAVE made. Maybe the holdup has to do with Moto's suite of apps conflicting with similar functions in LP, or perhaps the part of 5.1 pertaining to Google's baked in VoLTE and Verizon's Advanced Calling update are playing nice with each other. Google's VoLTE isn't available on LP prior to 5.1, so that could be why others have their 5.0.x builds.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Verizon almost never announces any updates in advance.

via Asus Zenfone 2. Android Central Moderator.

Remove the word almost and you'd be more correct. Anytime I've called into Verizon about an incoming update or phone, they have no information. Usually they tell me that anything that doesn't come directly from Verizon's PR dept is rumor and nothing more.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Because its their "exclusive flagship" and neither Motorola nor Verizon want to do it.

Do you think Verizon wants to hold it back for both reason? That's not how corporations operate because some people get pissed off over that. A smart company doesn't push out a faulty product, which in this case, is 5.0.

I can't say for sure but I'd have to believe the Turbo is different from other devices. Verizon has an exclusive deal for this in the USA and as such probably wants it to be the best it can be.

I still disagree, in my mind its because they were having issues with that particular phone, not because of problems with the os. If they withheld the update because of 5.0 issues they would do the same for 5.1 issues and do on.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I still disagree, in my mind its because they were having issues with that particular phone, not because of problems with the os. If they withheld the update because of 5.0 issues they would do the same for 5.1 issues and do on.

Depends if they're excessive issues or just a few. I do agree that maybe Lollipop isn't playing well with the Turbo yet but isn't that more reason not to release it?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Back with the DROID MINI, ULTRA, and MAXX, Motorola essentially only had the Moto X ahead of it when KitKat arrived.

Now with the DROID TURBO, it looks much more crowded with different generations of Moto X, G, and E being Motorola's priority ahead of the TURBO. Not to mention that they basically restarted with the 5.1 release.

Again, there's only two ways this goes. Either Motorola and Verizon finally release the update or they announce that they are back tracking.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

..only if you polled Android Central forum users. Everyone else (and let's be honest, you and me, we're the minority) wouldn't care.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The issue with this statement is that Verizon and Motorola are fully aware of the issues that 5.0 Lollipop brings with it. You're correct in saying that KitKat, or any piece of technology for that matter, is never perfect. However, Verizon and Motorola are not going to release an update that is known to have issues because the backlash would be far worse than a small minority complaining that it hasn't arrived on an internet forum. Giving the option to update is great but not everyone who updates will know about the issues until they download the update. Even if Verizon and Motorola notated them on the download screen, it is a loss because people will say why did they release what seems like a Beta to the public. Again, its a no win situation but I do understand why people want it.

This:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance