Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
iOS updates and Android updates are really apples to oranges.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't see anything wrong with that since we pay a lot of money for premium phones like the Droid and monthly fees to Verizon. Add all that money up over a year and see how you feel.

I feel like I have an incredible phone that does everything I want other than making me a sandwich. And it does everything I want on Kit Kat, so I could care less about Lollipop. I'm kinda dreading getting an update because I'm about 98% certain that it will break something that I am currently enjoying.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm kinda dreading getting an update because I'm about 98% certain that it will break something that I am currently enjoying.

If you're 98% sure 5.1 is going to break something you should read up on it first to make sure. But it's a 100% sure things will eventually break staying on KitKat as the devs use API's in the newer OS versions.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
iOS updates and Android updates are really apples to oranges.

Understated & very true. What's I find astounding is that dealing with one operating system on only a single brand of phone is they routinely push out flawed updates with alarming frequency. As example, unless recently patched, there is a serious exploit in Messaging that renders the app useless by someone sending a text containing a specific character string. I won't post the string for obvious reasons but it's available on Twitter & some websites or at least, was. FWIW, I learned of it from a victim. If this were Android I suspect it would be front page news.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Understated & very true. What's I find astounding is that dealing with one operating system on only a single brand of phone is they routinely push out flawed updates with alarming frequency. As example, unless recently patched, there is a serious exploit in Messaging that renders the app useless by someone sending a text containing a specific character string. I won't post the string for obvious reasons but it's available on Twitter & some websites or at least, was. FWIW, I learned of it from a victim. If this were Android I suspect it would be front page news.

Most likely. I too won't go spreading that combination but its ridiculous that it exists. Apple really messed up there and I'll call them out on it. I assure you I'd call out Google if this happened on Android too. Talk about a "game breaking" glitch of sorts, huh?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you're 98% sure 5.1 is going to break something you should read up on it first to make sure. But it's a 100% sure things will eventually break staying on KitKat as the devs use API's in the newer OS versions.

Motorola could make changes to how AOSP handles certain features.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't see anything wrong with that since we pay a lot of money for premium phones like the Droid and monthly fees to Verizon. Add all that money up over a year and see how you feel.

That's always true but this is an Android forum, so...

Am I really making it sound like that or am I just being a vocal consumer?

They don't but it sure would be awesome if I had that power!
I think people understand they have free will, at least I hope they do :)

For someone who claims to find updates very unimportant why do you care so much and are so vocal on a thread about updates?!?

Sometimes that works but it's more effective when large groups let companies know their displeasure. In fact usually to be effective it helps to let a company know as a group your displeasure before you take your money elsewhere.

Again, if you're unhappy with what they're doing, go with another OS, or at the very least, another Android OEM. Everyone is saying how great all the other OEMS are doing with updating to LP. The truth of the matter is, the only phone that has been affected by this is the Turbo. All of the other Motorola phones (current models and some of last years) are on LP, so it's doubtful this problem rests with Motorola. And since it's close internally to the Nexus 6, there shouldn't be any reason that Motorola would have issues updating the Turbo. So the only one left is Verizon, they have the final say on updates going out, and so far Motorola is the only one of the two even talking about the update, Verizon is quiet as per usual.

The point about trying to change the company was, as I and others have said many times before on here, that saying it here won't make a bit of difference. There's nothing anyone on here can do to effect the change you want. As far as me saying you're making it sound worse than it is, is your Turbo unusable? If not, then use it. If it is, then contact Verizon or Motorola and see if they can make a fix. And if they can't fix it, they should get you into another device that will work for you. Again, they're the only ones who can resolve the situation for you. I've had phones that were crap in the past, and I first tried to see if there was a fix on the forums. Failing that, I contacted Verizon and kept on them until the situation was resolved.

The reason I "care" so much is that, this thread would be nowhere near the size it is if it weren't for the back and forth on who's to blame, are we even going to get updates, etc. In reality this thread has passed it's usefulness. If anyone wanted to find actual information on the update, they'd have to wade through now 34 pages of arguing to find it. For the actual information we actually have on the update, this thread should be about 1 page long.

That very well may he true, but the problem is not everyone has the issues others do with the Turbo. In actuality, I can't think of one of the issues that people have started threads about that I'm having an issue with. So how can I voice my displeasure about it when I don't have any? If what you're looking to do is to get a group together and contact Verizon/Motorola, then why not have a separate thread with that specific goal? That would draw only the people who actually have issues and want to let VZW & Moto know about their problems. And if there are people looking for that kind of thing, how will they find it buried in this thread dedicated for news about the LP update?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I noitced the same with ART when I had my Maxx. Which makes it more perplexing that it doesn't work right on the Turbo.

See, and that's weird because I also switched over to ART on my Maxx, and I didn't notice any difference speed or efficiency at all. I was told that it was because KK was still made to run Dalvik, but once you had ART on LP, which it was designed to run on, that that is where the difference would be noticeable.

berserker

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
So lollipop runtime is ART, and the standard setting on our phones is Dalvik. Just wondering if any of you have already gone in developer options and switched to ART, if so what's your take??

Posted via the Android Central App
ART on the Turbo was a nuisance for me because 110 applications would be optimized every time I restarted the phone.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
See, and that's weird because I also switched over to ART on my Maxx, and I didn't notice any difference speed or efficiency at all. I was told that it was because KK was still made to run Dalvik, but once you had ART on LP, which it was designed to run on, that that is where the difference would be noticeable.

I'm fairly certain it wasn't placebo effect that ART ran more smoothly (as in more qwuickly...not that it corrected fthings that didn't work right or anything like that) on my Maxx. I didn't notice any significant battery savings myself.

Even on the Turbo, while I set it back to Dalvik because of the re-optimizatiuon issue at reboot + Google Maps crashing in ART recently, I noticed that my weather app from the Command Center widget opened much more quickly with ART set than it does with Dalvik. It tends to hang a bit with Dalvik, so again, not a placebo effect.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm doubting that June 10th date. No leaks of a soak test (you just know some people can't help themselves), and I find it highly unlikely they would roll it out without one. I suppoose they could cram one in between now and the 10th,. but...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm doubting that June 10th date. No leaks of a soak test (you just know some people can't help themselves), and I find it highly unlikely they would roll it out without one. I suppoose they could cram one in between now and the 10th,. but...

It could be the case that soak and initial non-soak rollout happen at the same time, which has been happening more often with Motorola.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm fairly certain it wasn't placebo effect that ART ran more smoothly (as in more qwuickly...not that it corrected fthings that didn't work right or anything like that) on my Maxx. I didn't notice any significant battery savings myself.

Even on the Turbo, while I set it back to Dalvik because of the re-optimizatiuon issue at reboot + Google Maps crashing in ART recently, I noticed that my weather app from the Command Center widget opened much more quickly with ART set than it does with Dalvik. It tends to hang a bit with Dalvik, so again, not a placebo effect.

I'm not saying it was a placebo effect, only that I didn't see a boost in performance on mine. There have been plenty of other things people have done to their phones and seen huge improvements where I would see little to nothing. That's why I said it was weird. I have pretty good luck with not having issues with phones (but there are exceptions, Thunderbolt I'm looking at you), but at the same time I don't get the benefits of the little tips and tricks people use to tweak their phones either. I guess it's middle ground for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos