Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm not aware of any previous soak tests being made public. Those who participate in the soak tests are usually covered by non-disclosure agreements. So, those who say they are in a soak test usually aren't.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone find it strange that there was no soak test?

It is possible that Motorola has stopped soak tests for the Droids. The recent emergency calling update for the Maxx/Ultra/Mini was not soaked. It was a minor update, but they soaked the minor network update in May 2014.

So, anything is possible. I remain a little skeptical about June 10. I think it's possible, but I go back to the thought that it comes when it comes - though it does jibe with the prediction of the Verizon Test Engineer of mid-June from a month or so ago.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not aware of any previous soak tests being made public. Those who participate in the soak tests are usually covered by non-disclosure agreements.

Yes they sort of are (they are really not - you sign nothing when you join the soak, so that would be an unenforceable NDA).

But I have *NEVER* heard of a soak test that wasn't publicized when the first invitation emails were sent out.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes they sort of are (they are really not - you sign nothing when you join the soak, so that would be an unenforceable NDA).

But I have *NEVER* heard of a soak test that wasn't publicized when the first invitation emails were sent out.

That's how I usually find out about them. When they do a soak test it won't take 5 min for it to be on this site.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It is possible that Motorola has stopped soak tests for the Droids. The recent emergency calling update for the Maxx/Ultra/Mini was not soaked. It was a minor update, but they soaked the minor network update in May 2014.

So, anything is possible. I remain a little skeptical about June 10. I think it's possible, but I go back to the thought that it comes when it comes - though it does jibe with the prediction of the Verizon Test Engineer of mid-June from a month or so ago.

The nature of the emergency calling bug probably dictated that no soak was needed.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not aware of any previous soak tests being made public. Those who participate in the soak tests are usually covered by non-disclosure agreements. So, those who say they are in a soak test usually aren't.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that people break those NDAs. SO even though its not Moto making the soak tests public, previous soak tests have always been made public. Motorola even comments on that within the soak test forum.
Soak test invitation emails and release notes from the soak test forums have been posted on this site and others. Those are only available to people in the soak test. So while I can't tell you that everyone who says they are in a soak test is actually in the soak test, I can tell you with complete certainty that people who are in the soak test break the confidentiality agreement and report on what is going on with the soak tests.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
there is an agreement you make with motorola, you tell them you wont go around telling everyone whats going on and if you break it they can boot you from future events

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I guess I just don't get the need for such secrecy and a "cone of silence" so to speak for this. So what if everyone knows they are doing a soak test? This is not national security, it is a freaking software update, geez. I have said it many times before, but I just don't get how these cellular companies get by with such secrecy and not providing information to their customers. I know of no other industry that can just tell you "we'll fix stuff when we feel like it and there is nothing you can do about it....and oh, by the way, you still have to pay your bill in full." Even cable companies give better service than this (at least they give you a 2 or 4 hour window). Can you imagine if you bought a new car and there was some flaw in it and the dealer just told you "we may have a fix for it but we don't know when it will be out, just live with it and don't call us, we'll call you."

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I guess I just don't get the need for such secrecy and a "cone of silence" so to speak for this. So what if everyone knows they are doing a soak test? This is not national security, it is a freaking software update, geez. I have said it many times before, but I just don't get how these cellular companies get by with such secrecy and not providing information to their customers. I know of no other industry that can just tell you "we'll fix stuff when we feel like it and there is nothing you can do about it....and oh, by the way, you still have to pay your bill in full." Even cable companies give better service than this (at least they give you a 2 or 4 hour window). Can you imagine if you bought a new car and there was some flaw in it and the dealer just told you "we may have a fix for it but we don't know when it will be out, just live with it and don't call us, we'll call you."
Getting a major ota isn't like having a muffler fixed, its like having a 2016 charger body (and some other parts) on your 2014 avenger chassis and engine that still runs fine as an avenger. If they'd given you a product that sucks, then it would have been returned. Remember that a major ota is a FREE upgrade to a device that was meant to run as it was sold. This isn't warranty service and you're not paying for their software. At all.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, the soak test are done by the Motorola Feedback Network not, the carriers. I don't know of soak testing being done by anyone except Moto however it's certainly possible. AFAIK, it's unique to Motorola.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The situations you're referring to are a company fixing one situation, yours. In something like an OS OTA update, they're not just updating your device, but anywhere from hundreds of thousands to millions of people's devices, all at once. And those updates also have to work well with the network they're running on and not cause any issues with it either. Microsoft announces set dates for their upgrades, but they don't have any network consideration to deal with. So the situations aren't really the same, you're comparing someone physically coming out to fix one customer's equipment, where here they're handling thousands to millions of customers' equipment at the same time, and have make sure their update will work with the network it runs on.

As far as the need for secrecy, no it's not national security, but if they did set a date and missed it, there would be a backlash. Now I know others have said that it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but those who are on forums like ours can be very vocal, and since tech blogs like a juicy story, they'll run with it and the average consumer may read about it in something like Yahoo News, MSN, or Forbes. So regardless of how informed they are, there's a good chance they'll end up hearing about it through regular news channels. But if they don't give a date, they aren't considered late, whether we believe so or not.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
To be fair, the soak test are done by the Motorola Feedback Network not, the carriers. I don't know of soak testing being done by anyone except Moto however it's certainly possible. AFAIK, it's unique to Motorola.

To be fair, soak tests are near final software as in it's the same version as the final release version.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

TJ Kelly Jr

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

People who do the soak tests don't officially "sign" anything but by going through the survey you have to take before the soak begins, and agreeing to the conditions (Non disclosure being one of them), you have to agree that you aren't going to disclose information. If you don't agree, you don't soak. If you do agree, and disclose anyways, you can be punished (mostly by loss of soak test privileges but I'm sure they can have other ramifications if they wanted to).

In essence, by filling out the electronic survey, agreeing to the terms and conditions and providing the information they requested, then you are "signing" the NDA.

Same as accepting terms and conditions on a website or piece of software, while you don't officially sign, by agreeing to the terms you can be held legally responsible.

Posted via the Android Central App

TJ Kelly Jr

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
The situations you're referring to are a company fixing one situation, yours. In something like an OS OTA update, they're not just updating your device, but anywhere from hundreds of thousands to millions of people's devices, all at once. And those updates also have to work well with the network they're running on and not cause any issues with it either. Microsoft announces set dates for their upgrades, but they don't have any network consideration to deal with. So the situations aren't really the same, you're comparing someone physically coming out to fix one customer's equipment, where here they're handling thousands to millions of customers' equipment at the same time, and have make sure their update will work with the network it runs on.

As far as the need for secrecy, no it's not national security, but if they did set a date and missed it, there would be a backlash. Now I know others have said that it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but those who are on forums like ours can be very vocal, and since tech blogs like a juicy story, they'll run with it and the average consumer may read about it in something like Yahoo News, MSN, or Forbes. So regardless of how informed they are, there's a good chance they'll end up hearing about it through regular news channels. But if they don't give a date, they aren't considered late, whether we believe so or not.

Just think, there's a ton of backlash right now, without a date, imagine if they had given a date and missed it!!!

Soak tests are supposed to be secret because of the time thing, features, etc. If they soak an update, find it doesn't work or one part doesn't work and they delay the update or pull that one part, people would go crazy because they delayed an update or pulled a feature they drastically had to have....even though it wasn't functioning.

Stratman Rick

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Dan Mead was NEVER the CEO of the entire company. He was head of Wireless but reported to McAdam. McAdam has been CEO of Verizon Communications as a whole since 2010 when he replaced Ivan Seidenberg. Mead is now involved in a special project and when that wraps up he will retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon