Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have seen soak tests that were 24 hours before the software was rolled out to the public. The main advantage of a soak for Motorola is that they get direct and immediate feed back from the soakers. It is normally final software and it lets them keep an eye on what is going on. I have also been told that soaks can be upwards of 20,000 participants.

I agree. My other comments and yours aren't mutually exclusive (not suggesting you were saying otherwise).

However, right now, it's Tuesday the 9th in the East. Even *if* they rolled out a soak and the wide release at the same time, they would have to send out invitations, gather responses and roll out the soak in less than 48 hours from now to hit an end-of-day rollout of the soak (with the official wide release).

There is at least a day, and usually more like a couple, between invitations and soak rollouts.

So, that means, if the 10th is accurate for the Turbo's Lollipop release, there is no public soak.

All my money is on that not happening.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been signed up for the soak tests for the last few years on the Droid Bionic and Droid Maxx. I think I was part of every test, but none of them happened more than a day before the release to the general public - at least for me. So the whole point of soak test seems pointless to me. By the time I was able to provide feedback, the upgrades were already available to everyone else..

This hasn't been the case with every soak test.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
+1 totally agree . I'll believe it when I see it .
Boy there will be a lot of upset people here on this forum if the updated isn't pushed out . Rofl

The sad thing is they will probably blame Moto and/or Verizon for missing the promised date of June 10th when neither of them are the one who gave that date

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

jjjmmm

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen it brought up here yet, but it's interesting to note that the originator of the June 10 rumor states that "there will be no soak".

Take a peek at his Twitter (since the forum won't let me post links :mad:, you'll have to look through Twitter user RDR0b11's posts for this quote from June 4).

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
There's a higher chance that tomorrow will be about a mention or teaser of the Turbo successor then any software update for the aging original Turbo.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't put any faith in the June 10th rumor but after the last soak i wouldn't be surprised if Moto ended the soak program all together for the Turbo. All it was was page after page after page of people complaining about the process. Then people went outside of the soak forums and complained on tech forums, often copying and pasting things directly from the soak forums. If that's how people are gonna act i don't know why Moto would continue the soak program. To me it wouldn't be worth it. But we'll see.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't put any faith in the June 10th rumor but after the last soak i wouldn't be surprised if Moto ended the soak program all together for the Turbo. All it was was page after page after page of people complaining about the process. Then people went outside of the soak forums and complained on tech forums, often copying and pasting things directly from the soak forums. If that's how people are gonna act i don't know why Moto would continue the soak program. To me it wouldn't be worth it. But we'll see.

Well, it's their ballgame, so they can obviously pull the plug wheneverr they choose. I would think they'd announce it if they chose to do that, but then not doing so would follow perfectly the complaints you mention, as they were in regard to keeping customers sequestered and uninformed in a soak when the thing took *weeks* to roll out.

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
No good...I get bad gateway too.

Just quote it?

The link worked for me. Anyway, here it is (but hit the link so the writer can get his due: Android 5.1 Update Release For Moto X 2014 Pure Edition Halted).

It was only a couple of weeks back that we reported about the 2014 Moto X Pure Edition finally receiving the Android 5.1 Lollipop update. The update was sent out soon after the 2014 Moto X got its Android 5.1 ride. It appears though that the roll out has not gone off without a hitch, which is why Motorola has halted the update for the Pure Edition. It's unclear at this point in time when Motorola will resume the roll out.

Apparently a bug was found in the Android 5.1 update for 2014 Moto X Pure Edition which has forced the company to halt the roll out, the bug was caught pretty early on so by that time majority of the users were yet to receive the update.

Senior Director of Software Product Management at Motorola, David Schuster, writes on Google+ that the company has come up with a fix for the bug and it's currently testing the fix internally. Motorola expects to submit the updated firmware to carriers for testing and obtain a “quick approval” in just a couple of weeks.

Once carriers sign off on the updated firmware, Motorola can get down to the business of sending it out to users, who are no doubt anxiously waiting to get a taste of Lollipop on their 2014 Moto X Pure Edition.Android 5.1 Update Release For Moto X 2014 Pure Edition Halted

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The sad thing is they will probably blame Moto and/or Verizon for missing the promised date of June 10th when neither of them are the one who gave that date

they will probably blame moto / verizon for not being able to get a lollipop update out with an additional 6 months

zen45

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
update really !! I just got this phone and finally figured out how to make a call and now there going to change it arrrrgggg the last phone I had did only phone and txt and had a bad camera by the time I figure this one out we will both be retired !!

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Getting lollipop, if it does happen tomorrow, won't change drastically how you text or make phone calls. There should be next to no learning curve with the update. Yea a few new features to remember but you'll get used to it quick.

And I am trying to stay optimistic that it will actually happen tomorrow! I'm an origianl turbo owner ( well since first week of November) and I've been following it close, waiting....and waiting and....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX