Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
update really !! I just got this phone and finally figured out how to make a call and now there going to change it arrrrgggg the last phone I had did only phone and txt and had a bad camera by the time I figure this one out we will both be retired !!

This ... Why the whole update cycle really doesn't matter for most users ... Those of us on here usually want the bleeding edge, but this guy/gal is the 99%, we are the 1% ... Which BTW is the percentage an update comes out tomorrow stands at anyway

Heavy on the sarcasm tonight sorry :)

Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This ... Why the whole update cycle really doesn't matter for most users ... Those of us on here usually want the bleeding edge, but this guy/gal is the 99%, we are the 1% ... Which BTW is the percentage an update comes out tomorrow stands at anyway

Heavy on the sarcasm tonight sorry :)

Some folks use this as a reason that carriers and OEMs drag their feet, or especially that it shouldn't matter when they do.

If it were true it doesn't really matter enough, why update the OS on sold phones at all? I mean, if only 1% care? Roll out your new OS on new phones only.

It's true we're not the norm, but clearly updates are more important than some suggest.

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Some folks use this as a reason that carriers and OEMs drag their feet, or especially that it shouldn't matter when they do.

If it were true it doesn't really matter enough, why update the OS on sold phones at all? I mean, if only 1% care? Roll out your new OS on new phones only.

It's true we're not the norm, but clearly updates are more important than some suggest.

Yes...mostly for the stuff we do NOT see: e.g., CAT6 (when it arrives), new security features, or whatever they advance technically. But I can DEFINITELY skip Material Design.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I just asked my best friend and my wife the same question, neither of them know that they're on Lollipop and Kit Kat, respectively. Literally, no clue.

This is my best friend, who is rocking an S6e that he loves the hell out of, doesn't know it's on Lollipop.
And my wife, who is married to possibly the biggest Android nerd ever to have ridden a motorcycle while wearing a bantha skull jacket. From the way I talk about Android and such, she's probably heard more about Android than Larry Page has, in terms of volume of words. She has no idea that her Moto X is running Kit Kat. All she knows is all the other phones are too big.

If these two don't know what they're OS is, then I have no problem believing that 99% of people don't care about OTA updates.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I just asked my best friend and my wife the same question, neither of them know that they're on Lollipop and Kit Kat, respectively. Literally, no clue.

This is my best friend, who is rocking an S6e that he loves the hell out of, doesn't know it's on Lollipop.
And my wife, who is married to possibly the biggest Android nerd ever to have ridden a motorcycle while wearing a bantha skull jacket. From the way I talk about Android and such, she's probably heard more about Android than Larry Page has, in terms of volume of words. She has no idea that her Moto X is running Kit Kat. All she knows is all the other phones are too big.

If these two don't know what they're OS is, then I have no problem believing that 99% of people don't care about OTA updates.

One of my coworkers who knows I'm a phone person said her phone just got some big update. I said, oh, you got Lollipop! She completely had no clue what I was talking about. I got a blank stare in response.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

My point wasn't about how much how many care, but the suggestion that those percentages, whatever they are, are tied strictly to the importance of updates (or more specifically in this case timeliness of updates). Again, if hardly anyone cares, why bother with rollout to phones in the wild at all?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My point wasn't about how much how many care, but the suggestion that those percentages, whatever they are, are tied strictly to the importance of updates (or more specifically in this case timeliness of updates). Again, if hardly anyone cares, why bother with rollout to phones in the wild at all?

Yeah, I'm not arguing against you - just making a random observation based on anecdotal evidence. In truth, I'm really bored and ARK isn't working properly. :)

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not arguing against you - just making a random observation based on anecdotal evidence. In truth, I'm really bored and ARK isn't working properly. :)

Lol yeah the fun of a alpha game huh? Once they optimize the game though it will fix a lot of the live updating they do to their servers. Back on topic though tomorrow will have a lot of impact on Motorola update server pings haha

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

The 99% really don't care about Jelly bean, kit kat, Lollipop or maple leaf cookie(My personal request for M). What they care about is what they can do on their phone. So why update the OS at all you ask. Because with a new OS comes new APIs. APIs that devs use to make new shiny things. So a year and a half from now, when Aunt Bootsie wants to play Candy Crush 2: The Search for Gummy Bears, along with the rest of her bingo club, she won't be able to because her phone with the old API won't be able to handle the new ones. And that's what Aunt Bootsie cares about, and that's why she'll switch over to an iPhone so she can play. She doesn't care if she gets a new OS now, because Candy Crush works just fine. In fact, she won't ever care if she gets a new OS. But don't you dare let Candy Crush 2 come out and her not be able to play it. She won't ask why, she'll just listen to her iFriends and switch to Apple.
Simplified example, but yeah.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The 99% really don't care about Jelly bean, kit kat, Lollipop or maple leaf cookie(My personal request for M). What they care about is what they can do on their phone. So why update the OS at all you ask. Because with a new OS comes new APIs. APIs that devs use to make new shiny things. So a year and a half from now, when Aunt Bootsie wants to play Candy Crush 2: The Search for Gummy Bears, along with the rest of her bingo club, she won't be able to because her phone with the old API won't be able to handle the new ones. And that's what Aunt Bootsie cares about, and that's why she'll switch over to an iPhone so she can play. She doesn't care if she gets a new OS now, because Candy Crush works just fine. In fact, she won't ever care if she gets a new OS. But don't you dare let Candy Crush 2 come out and her not be able to play it. She won't ask why, she'll just listen to her iFriends and switch to Apple.
Simplified example, but yeah.

So, these updates are actually important to more than those of us who read AC and other tech stuff.

Just because your wife or friend or ten co-workers don't know what OS they have doesn't mean they don't care.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I like the dark theme mostly because it looks so much sharper (not as in clearer of course but sharp as in a sharp looking suit). Also the potential although minute battery gains

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So, these updates are actually important to more than those of us who read AC and other tech stuff.

Just because your wife or friend or ten co-workers don't know what OS they have doesn't mean they don't care.

Not exactly. They don't care until they can't do something that their friends can do with their phones, otherwise, they don't care. The difference between those people and those on here is most here are proactive, they want to test out each new feature the updates bring and can't wait to try it out. The majority of people are reactive, the only time they worry about an update is when some new feature in an app they like won't work because their OS needs to be updated to make use of that new feature. I'd guarantee, if they didn't run into a situation like that, they'd never worry about updates.

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I like the dark theme mostly because it looks so much sharper (not as in clearer of course but sharp as in a sharp looking suit). Also the potential although minute battery gains

Agreed that the dark theme looks much better, but aren't the battery savings potentially quite significant when using AMOLED displays (but agreed, next to nothing with LED displays)?

Posted via Android Central App

Bryan Cruse

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Just got the Advanced Calling update last night and I was able to surf the web and talk on the phone at the same time

Te update has that fix in it? Have you noticed a better signal quality by chance? My signal is horrible but I'm rooted and don't want to take the update because it doesn't mention signal fixes....

Sent from my rooted S6 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For my friends and family that aren't into phones as much as I am, I've had to go back and undo or find workarounds for what Lollipop changed. In my small sample, they were for the most part happy with KitKat.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm upset with the lack of communication from both Verizon and Motorola. I don't care when we get lollipop as long as it works as good if not better than kit kat. I doubt they have forgotten about the turbo though, people seem to have forgotten the updates pushed out to release advanced calling and bug fixes in December and February. That being said Verizon and Motorola both should start communicating with its customers better. If I choose to switch from Motorola to another brand it'll be because of the lack of communication, otherwise this is the only phone that I have had and has kept me from feeling the need to upgrade to anything else after 8 months

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm upset with the lack of communication from both Verizon and Motorola. I don't care when we get lollipop as long as it works as good if not better than kit kat. I doubt they have forgotten about the turbo though, people seem to have forgotten the updates pushed out to release advanced calling and bug fixes in December and February. That being said Verizon and Motorola both should start communicating with its customers better. If I choose to switch from Motorola to another brand it'll be because of the lack of communication, otherwise this is the only phone that I have had and has kept me from feeling the need to upgrade to anything else after 8 months

They should just post every week "still working on it".

..but that wouldn't be enough.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Status
Not open for further replies.