Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
They should just post every week "still working on it".

..but that wouldn't be enough.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

More like:
"Don't have the time, the money or staff to deal with this"
"Plus everyone is fine with KitKat or doesn't know anything about updates (see "Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?" forum)"

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Will it allow voice and data simultaneously? Can't stand that my note 2 can do this but the turbo can't without going through hoops.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
More like:
"Don't have the time, the money or staff to deal with this"
"Plus everyone is fine with KitKat or doesn't know anything about updates (see "Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?" forum)"

Moto X, Moto G, Moto E all ahead of you. Wait your turn.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Will it allow voice and data simultaneously? Can't stand that my note 2 can do this but the turbo can't without going through hoops.

Posted via the Android Central App

You can do that now and its really not "going through hoops" as you call it. They could have done multiple antennas, sure, but VoLTE is the future and present now. If they used a VoLTE antenna + an extra antenna to do as you want, the phone would go through much more battery and no one wants this.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
So, these updates are actually important to more than those of us who read AC and other tech stuff.

Just because your wife or friend or ten co-workers don't know what OS they have doesn't mean they don't care.

No, not at all. What's important is that the phone does what they want it to do(or does what their friends phone can do). No one is gonna say "update my phone to Nutter Butter so I can play Clash of Clans 2: Beiber Babies Gone Bad" because they don't give a crap about updates or OSes. Their gonna say "My phone won't play Clash of Clans 2 but the iPhone does. I'm gonna buy an iPhone" They won't bug Verizon to update the OS, they'll just get a new phone. Because they care about what it does, not how it got there. Updates to an OS don't matter to very many, no matter how you try to spin it.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Not exactly. They don't care until they can't do something that their friends can do with their phones, otherwise, they don't care. The difference between those people and those on here is most here are proactive, they want to test out each new feature the updates bring and can't wait to try it out. The majority of people are reactive, the only time they worry about an update is when some new feature in an app they like won't work because their OS needs to be updated to make use of that new feature. I'd guarantee, if they didn't run into a situation like that, they'd never worry about updates.

So, like I said, they care. They just don't sweat the reasons like we do. If they can do X on OS 2 and they can't on OS 1, and that matters to them, they absolutely care about their OS. In this case, that doesn't require they know what to call it or how it works. If they don't get that update to OS 2 they don't get to do what they want.

And that's why it's important to have timely updates for more than just the supposed 1%.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Agreed that the dark theme looks much better, but aren't the battery savings potentially quite significant when using AMOLED displays (but agreed, next to nothing with LED displays)?

Posted via Android Central App

There was a discussion aboutthis topic on the Turbo forums here not that long ago. It seems to boil down to battery savings with black screens on an AMOLED display saving battery over white screens on an AMOLED display. So, our Turbos will last longer with black screen and white font than the inverse. It appears that the difference between AMOLED and LCD is not what we may have thought. Because there is no difference in overall battery use between white and black on those screens, and the LCDs may in fact use a bit less power overall with identical use/color schemes on both types of screen.

There were stats posted that illustrate that more specifically, but I think I've given you an accurate synopsis of them. They were several years old, so newer tech could have changed things, too.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
No, not at all. What's important is that the phone does what they want it to do(or does what their friends phone can do). No one is gonna say "update my phone to Nutter Butter so I can play Clash of Clans 2: Beiber Babies Gone Bad" because they don't give a crap about updates or OSes. Their gonna say "My phone won't play Clash of Clans 2 but the iPhone does. I'm gonna buy an iPhone" They won't bug Verizon to update the OS, they'll just get a new phone. Because they care about what it does, not how it got there. Updates to an OS don't matter to very many, no matter how you try to spin it.

I'm not going to go 'round and 'round about this anymore, but if an OS update is required for what they want to do and can't, they care. That they may not know the proper terminology or what have you doesn't change that basic fact. There are people who genuinly do not care. A lot of them have flip phones.

And that's why it's important to have timely updates for more than just the supposed 1%.

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
There was a discussion aboutthis topic on the Turbo forums here not that long ago. It seems to boil down to battery savings with black screens on an AMOLED display saving battery over white screens on an AMOLED display. So, our Turbos will last longer with black screen and white font than the inverse. It appears that the difference between AMOLED and LCD is not what we may have thought. Because there is no difference in overall battery use between white and black on those screens, and the LCDs may in fact use a bit less power overall with identical use/color schemes on both types of screen.

There were stats posted that illustrate that more specifically, but I think I've given you an accurate synopsis of them. They were several years old, so newer tech could have changed things, too.

Interesting...I thought the savings were significantly greater with an AMOLED screen. But I have to admit I'd stick with a dark theme even if there were no battery savings, since it looks a heck of a lot "better" to me.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So, like I said, they care. They just don't sweat the reasons like we do. If they can do X on OS 2 and they can't on OS 1, and that matters to them, they absolutely care about their OS. In this case, that doesn't require they know what to call it or how it works. If they don't get that update to OS 2 they don't get to do what they want.

According to your way of thinking, everyone cares about everything, but just not until it affects them, right? So if it doesn't affect them or impair their use of their phone, they won't care, right?

I just don't see why you seem to think that everyone cares about this. The majority of people are idiots, and should probably be on nothing more than a flip phone, but since everyone else has one, they figure they should as well.

You guys keep bringing up this notion that anyone who isn't outraged by this doesn't think updates are important, which is patently false. Some updates are vital, but not everyone is. I also resent this notion that because I'm not taking Verizon or Motorola to task on this, that we're giving them a free pass. What you keep failing to realize is that we could get every forum member to contact them and it would be a drop in the bucket compared to their total customer base. And unless you see something like this on the national news, no one outside of these and other forums will consider it a big deal.

But as usual, I and others who are OK waiting for the update just don't get it, so this BS will continue in a causality loop until the fricken update is released. At this point I'm about ready to go back to a flip phone.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Not here, I pressed the check for updates button 10 times to try and force it if it is there. I have a question, as optimistic as I am and hopeful that it will arrive today; who is that Android police writer who originally announced that. Is there any legitamatability in what he says at all? It would be really annoying if he just pulled it out of nowhere to keep feeding us. Kind of how many news sites for months now have kept writing articles that have a title that sounds promising and then only to write in the article they have no new information. THAT bugs me.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Not here, I pressed the check for updates button 10 times to try and force it if it is there.

You only have to check for updates once a day. The request is cached so every other time after the once is just going to show the same result, even if the update is magically ready for you (it's not - I believe that they release them for your phone sometime between midnight and 3 am.)

Remember that updates are staged to a few phones at a time the first day or two, so on the off chance that the update is really being distributed today, it's more likely than not that your phone will not see it the first few days.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
According to your way of thinking, everyone cares about everything, but just not until it affects them, right? So if it doesn't affect them or impair their use of their phone, they won't care, right?

I just don't see why you seem to think that everyone cares about this. The majority of people are idiots, and should probably be on nothing more than a flip phone, but since everyone else has one, they figure they should as well.

You guys keep bringing up this notion that anyone who isn't outraged by this doesn't think updates are important, which is patently false. Some updates are vital, but not everyone is. I also resent this notion that because I'm not taking Verizon or Motorola to task on this, that we're giving them a free pass. What you keep failing to realize is that we could get every forum member to contact them and it would be a drop in the bucket compared to their total customer base. And unless you see something like this on the national news, no one outside of these and other forums will consider it a big deal.

But as usual, I and others who are OK waiting for the update just don't get it, so this BS will continue in a causality loop until the fricken update is released. At this point I'm about ready to go back to a flip phone.

I didn't say anything about my own personal opinion about the update. I commented on the general belief that because the obvious interest level is small, the importance is equally as small (because people float that a lot).That you think I am, or think I believe anyone else should be, "outraged" is funny. Then again, honest, shades-of-grey discussion isn't a strong point in tech world, so...

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Interesting...I thought the savings were significantly greater with an AMOLED screen. But I have to admit I'd stick with a dark theme even if there were no battery savings, since it looks a heck of a lot "better" to me.

Yep, I'd stick with a dark theme on aesthetics alone, too. Like you, I thought AMOLED saved much more than they apparently do with white on black.. They do compared to themselves, but not as I'd thought compared to LCDs. LCDs use the same amount of energy for lights and darks, but that is a lower level than has seemed to have been suggsted when the advantages of AMOLEDs and dark themes, etc. are mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.