Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What time zone do they consider midnight?

Posted via the Android Central App

Rolling my eyes a little here. Verizon is a U.S. company, headquartered in NJ. Motorola headquarters are in Illinois. Midnight to 3 am (which was actually just a slight guess on my part based on past updates) is midnight in one of the time zones in the U.S. from Verizon's point of view. So, you know, I suppose it's possible that your phone could see the update 9 pm if you live on the west coast. Most updates I've received on Moto phones have hit between midnight and 6 am eastern time, though the last couple (both minor updates, to fix volte and emergency dialing) I've had to go to check updates to actually start the download.

(It's possible that the phone resets checking at midnight your local time.)

Check once a day. If it says the phone is up to date, check again tomorrow. (Don't get your hopes up too high.)

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Many articles I've read say not all of the users should expect it on the 10th. But in the short future. But I think I read that on the Onion.

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Eh I don't believe that entirely. In the past there are plenty of times where I press it once, no update, press it again, no update and again update. It's happened that way before. Not saying lollipop is even present as an update but in case it was there

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
If they released a phone with comparable battery life I would consider switching. My daughter needs a new phone so we are in the market. The battery life on my turbo is close to what I had with RMHD. The whole issue with LP wouldn't matter to her. I have it on my nexus 7 and 10. I really don't see the big deal. Sure its different but I didn't see any significant improvement on both devices. I think once this is released there will be a collective what's the big deal. Sure we all want it but also want it bug free. For every rumor we hear I also read some devices having issues.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have lollypop on my Nexus 7 (2013) my LG G Pad 10.1 (Verizon is rolling out lollypop today for the LG G Pad 8) so it is too busy rolling out the update to all the old phones to give the Turbo 5.1. Plus the phone is too new to get the update. We will have to wait until next year!
So let me sum this up. My newest device has the oldest OS. Me thinks the LG 4 will work lovely with my LG 10.1. Hate to do this to you Moto but STICK IT :)

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
The confusion was with the wording, we did receive an update today, and was dealing with lollipop. Just not for our phone, just our ability to tell if something is BS or truth. BS radar is now running version 5.1.1

KitKat works fine for me

gemery#CB

Banned
Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Rolling my eyes a little here. Verizon is a U.S. company, headquartered in NJ. Motorola headquarters are in Illinois. Midnight to 3 am (which was actually just a slight guess on my part based on past updates) is midnight in one of the time zones in the U.S. from Verizon's point of view. So, you know, I suppose it's possible that your phone could see the update 9 pm if you live on the west coast. Most updates I've received on Moto phones have hit between midnight and 6 am eastern time, though the last couple (both minor updates, to fix volte and emergency dialing) I've had to go to check updates to actually start the download.

(It's possible that the phone resets checking at midnight your local time.)

Check once a day. If it says the phone is up to date, check again tomorrow. (Don't get your hopes up too high.)

Wasn't meant to be I can't wait for the update so what is midnight, I am one of the people that look at something and wonder the rest of the story.... Thanks for the info

Posted via the Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I didn't say anything about my own personal opinion about the update. I commented on the general belief that because the obvious interest level is small, the importance is equally as small (because people float that a lot).That you think I am, or think I believe anyone else should be, "outraged" is funny. Then again, honest, shades-of-grey discussion isn't a strong point in tech world, so...

A small portion of people affected does translate to a smaller level of importance, to a company like Verizon. Their CFO was the one who basically said if you don't like it GTFO. Does that seem like a guy interested in changing for the better of the customer? The part about being outraged wasn't directed at you, but the others who act like we need to do a sit in or something.

Something I did think of after I posted last night, if you look at the distribution of Android versions, that could tell you how important updates are. ICS and GB are still acoounting for 10%, JB takes 37%, KK has 39%, and LP has 12%. Even if you throw KK & LP together, that still is just over half of the total user base. So even if everyone of those people were informed, only half of them need to be on an update pushed out in the last 2 years.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have [Lollipop] on my nexus 7 and 10. I really don't see the big deal. Sure its different but I didn't see any significant improvement on both devices. I think once this is released there will be a collective what's the big deal.

Also have it (5.01) on my Nexus 7 (2013.) The hoopla is WAY overrated. In fact there are things I don't like about it.

Sure we all want it but also want it bug free. For every rumor we hear I also read some devices having issues.

Well, because of the known issues with 5.1 and Nexus 7 I have resisted updating for about 2 months now.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I bought G4 and i have to say I prefer kitkat over it mostly due to the fact that I can't just volume down to put the phone into silent. The new 'Silent/Priority' mode in Lollipop is wonky and confusing. Damn thing work me up 2 nights in a row until i decided to put it on 'No Interrupt at all(which mean no alarm as well)'

I don't have a sim card in my Turbo right now so I won't be force to update to lollipop, Kitkat works fine on it, i'll keep it that way.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You only have to check for updates once a day. The request is cached so every other time after the once is just going to show the same result, even if the update is magically ready for you (it's not - I believe that they release them for your phone sometime between midnight and 3 am.)

This hasn't been my experience. I know I've received a "device is up to date" message in the same day I later received the update. Is the caching of the request a new thing?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Eh I don't believe that entirely. In the past there are plenty of times where I press it once, no update, press it again, no update and again update. It's happened that way before. Not saying lollipop is even present as an update but in case it was there

Here is the actual process. I was trying to go on memory, but this details the algorithm of how android updates are offered.

morrildl comments on 4.4 Kitkat has started rolling out on the N4!

Rollouts are conducted in phases. Typically they start at 1% of devices for around 24 - 48 hours; we watch the return rates and resulting device checkins and error reports (if any), and make sure nothing looks wrong before sending it to more. Then typically it goes to 25%, 50%, 100% over the course of a week or two.
What the percentages mean is that when your device checks in, it has a 1% chance (for example) of being offered the OTA. If it doesn't (randomly) get an offer, it will never get an offer until the next batch.

IOW, once your device checks in and gets turned down, that's it until the next batch. Mashing on the "check for updates" button just causes your device to check in again, and get automatically turned down again. Think about how that makes your device feel! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE PHONES?!

That said, once the new batch does start, hitting that button does give you a new roll of the dice -- but once. Since devices usually only check in for system updates every 24 hours (I think? Certainly on a many-hours basis) this can get you your shot sooner than it would happen on its own.

So, mash away. :) Just be patient, and mashing on it more often than once or twice a day isn't going to gain you anything.

(Emphasis mine.)

Again, from my experience with Moto updates, they seem to offer them at some point while I sleep, sometime overnight. Though, who knows, maybe that will change this time?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Also have it (5.01) on my Nexus 7 (2013.) The hoopla is WAY overrated. In fact there are things I don't like about it.

Well, because of the known issues with 5.1 and Nexus 7 I have resisted updating for about 2 months now.

I don't have any issues with the nexus 7. Just not much improvement. It's getting older so looking at Dell venue to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR