Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
What exactly are you missing out on that makes this wait so unbearable? What killer function is kit kat missing that lollipop has?

Posted via the Android Central App

I laid it out for you in my post. The answer is "nothing" really. Again, if you read my post that is what I said and my beef was with the fact I want the latest OS, which is why I paid $700 for what they told me would be a quickly updated device because it is a flagship and a Droid and that simply is not true. It has not been updated "quickly" or even "soon" by anyone's reasonable opinion, so that is why I'm disappointed, but it is not "unbearable."

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes Ry, I understand you are correct by strict interpretation of the actual words, but I think any reasonable person would have expected it before 8 months has passed. In reality for most having a 2 year contract we are about 30% through the contract already with the "coming soon" update not arriving. Not reasonable in my opinion. If I'm being unreasonable, tell me what you think is reasonable before you would agree they have not lived up to what they said and what should be expected? There is the same argument going on in the VZW support forums with a Verizon employee on there stating they never really have to upgrade the Turbo because the "definition" of the word "soon" means anytime between this moment and the "end of time." Hopefully we won't have to wait that long. :)

I don't understand you. First you go on and on about how they lied, then you admit that they are doing what they said they'd do if you go by what they actually said. But yet you're upset because although they said one thing, you decided they should do what you want instead of doing what they said they'd do. They said what they are doing, and haven't broken their word yet. To me, it doesn't seem like the problem is on Moto's or Verizon's end.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand you. First you go on and on about how they lied, then you admit that they are doing what they said they'd do if you go by what they actually said. But yet you're upset because although they said one thing, you decided they should do what you want instead of doing what they said they'd do. They said what they are doing, and haven't broken their word yet. To me, it doesn't seem like the problem is on Moto's or Verizon's end.

It appears the bottom line is you think 8 months to update a flagship Droid top of the line device is reasonable and I don't. I think we should just leave it at that. It seems that you also agree then that "soon" could mean the end of time also.

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Even though I've said numerous times that I can pass on L, I do certainly have to agree that 8+ months to update a flagship is too long. We're just talking reasonableness here. It would be one thing if others didn't have it, but my two older phones have had it for a while (yeah,yeah, 5.0.2, not 5.1.1)...and one has been around for over two years!

Maybe I'm the loner again, but if Microsoft can do it the second Tuesday of every month - and PC's are even more varied than Android phones (there's no custom home-built phones...yet) - then Google COULD do it if they decided they need to go that route. Fragmentation is a mess, and seems like it will get worse before it gets better. It doesn't HAVE to be that way.

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
! The update is long overdue from Motorola and vzw and unacceptable!, I had so much respect for Motorola in the past based on previous phones I owed from them, I have lost faith in them now. As far a vzw... Don't even get me started their is not enough letters in the alphabet for me to address my my displeasure with them.

Sent from my DROID Turbo64 via Tapatalk

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
It appears the bottom line is you think 8 months to update a flagship Droid top of the line device is reasonable and I don't. I think we should just leave it at that. It seems that you also agree then that "soon" could mean the end of time also.

Every phone that has gotten lollipop has had some serious problems. I'd be pretty upset if Verizon gave us those bugs. I'm not putting a timeline on it because Lollipop itself is screwed up and no OEM has pushed it without issues. I didn't pay for a flagship Droid top of the line device just to have it gimped. I don't think it's reasonable to gimp a phone just because some people have decided that "soon" is a specific date on the calendar. If every phone that had it had relatively few and minor issues then it would be a different matter, but I'd prefer they just get it right.

It appears the bottom line is you think we should have our phones gimped just so you can have the latest and...well we can't really call it the greatest now can we. I'll just leave it at that. It seems that you also agree that we should pay $700 to be beta testers. I don't find that at all reasonable.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Every phone that has gotten lollipop has had some serious problems. I'd be pretty upset if Verizon gave us those bugs. I'm not putting a timeline on it because Lollipop itself is screwed up and no OEM has pushed it without issues. I didn't pay for a flagship Droid top of the line device just to have it gimped. I don't think it's reasonable to gimp a phone just because some people have decided that "soon" is a specific date on the calendar. If every phone that had it had relatively few and minor issues then it would be a different matter, but I'd prefer they just get it right.

It appears the bottom line is you think we should have our phones gimped just so you can have the latest and...well we can't really call it the greatest now can we. I'll just leave it at that. It seems that you also agree that we should pay $700 to be beta testers. I don't find that at all reasonable.
Note 4, note 3, LG g2, gs5. I had them all, all did great on lollipop after a factory reset.

I couldn't stick with the turbo because of the camera (which for my purposes, photographing a toddler, is essentially unusable). The saving grace would have been if L fixed it. Glad I didn't wait.

Love moto, but they really dropped the ball on the 2013 x and the turbo. Really can't trust they'll be quick on updates in the future.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Whoever said that the Droid Turbo was a flagship? (What I mean is, did Verizon or Motorola ever actually call it that? If so, anybody have a link?)

Anybody who desperately wants as early as possible upgrade to the latest version of Android and bought a Turbo has learned their lesson - hope that Verizon carries the Nexus device or switch to a carrier that does. (Of course we've learned before that a Verizon Nexus is no guarantee of upgrades though
...)

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Whoever said that the Droid Turbo was a flagship? (What I mean is, did Verizon or Motorola ever actually call it that? If so, anybody have a link?)

Anybody who desperately wants as early as possible upgrade to the latest version of Android and bought a Turbo has learned their lesson - hope that Verizon carries the Nexus device or switch to a carrier that does. (Of course we've learned before that a Verizon Nexus is no guarantee of upgrades though
...)
Google is unifying the builds for the nexus 6 so anyone can flash any updates even if the carriers delay the ota push. I'm running a non-vzw build on my 6 on verizon that works perfectly (including volte).

If the next nexus comes out of verizon I bet Google will have the whole unified build thing down right from launch.

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site

That is FLAT-OUT INCORRECT! My two phones with L have had NO serious problems, nor minor problems (if you don't believe it, that's your mistake). My strong dislike is with the Material Design and light theme, along with other superficial issues...that's it.

SOME people have had serious issues...as with EVERY version.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

I completely disagree that "every phone that has gotten lollipop has had some serious problems." I see plenty of people posting on here that have L without problems. My son has an "antique" Galaxy S4 with zero issues running L. This shouldn't be that hard to update a new device.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

...)

I've got a friend with the Note 3 and her parents with an S5 and all 3 devices have been terrible since Lollipop pre and post factory reset. So there's always the other side too.

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site

...)

If the Turbo isn't a flagship, then such objects don't exist! :)

Here we go with yet another argument...

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Not sure if Verizon or Moto have used the "flagship" word but Android sites, reviewers, and bloggers sure have. What else do you call the most technically advanced phone a manufacturer offers?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What else do you call the most technically advanced phone a manufacturer offers?

I call it the Nexus 6, which *is* the most technically advanced phone that Motorola offers.

Is the Kyocera Brigadier a flagship? It's the most technically advanced phone that Kyocera offers.

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I call it the Nexus 6, which *is* the most technically advanced phone that Motorola offers.

Is the Kyocera Brigadier a flagship? It's the most technically advanced phone that Kyocera offers.

Honestly, I think the Turbo's a little better than the Nexus 6 spec wise.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Turbo is a great phone but was hindered from being uttered in the same breath as the S6 & G4 by it's camera. It's the big achilles heel of the Turbo. It's got so many things equal to or better than the competition. Side by side with the S6 and G4, the screens are comparable, the internals are all powerhouses, the build is arguably better (particularly if dropped - the Turbo is a TANK!), they all have Fast Charge, it has wireless charging without a special case (the G4 does not).

I traded my turbo for the S6 not because of build quality (it is REALLY nice but it is also horribly fragile feeling), not because of the battery life, not because of wireless charging, fast charging, fast processor - the Turbo has all of that and CERTAINLY not because I wanted Lollipop. I traded because I have three kids and like nice pics of them (yes, I have a nice DSLR but it isn't with me all of the time, a camera that takes great pics is convenient).

I miss alot about the Turbo - I miss Active notifications, batter life, the ability to take a drop and stock Android to name a few. But I don't miss the camera..

So I agree, Turbo is indeed a Flagship

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Finally got lollipop, had to switch to sprint today...bought the s6 edge. Will miss my turbo, but this phone is nice too. Plus it gives me a bunch of new stuff too learn. Best of luck getting the update guys, hope it goes smooth and soon!

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Note 4, note 3, LG g2, gs5. I had them all, all did great on lollipop after a factory reset.

I couldn't stick with the turbo because of the camera (which for my purposes, photographing a toddler, is essentially unusable). The saving grace would have been if L fixed it. Glad I didn't wait.

Love moto, but they really dropped the ball on the 2013 x and the turbo. Really can't trust they'll be quick on updates in the future.

That is FLAT-OUT INCORRECT! My two phones with L have had NO serious problems, nor minor problems (if you don't believe it, that's your mistake). My strong dislike is with the Material Design and light theme, along with other superficial issues...that's it.

SOME people have had serious issues...as with EVERY version.

I completely disagree that "every phone that has gotten lollipop has had some serious problems." I see plenty of people posting on here that have L without problems. My son has an "antique" Galaxy S4 with zero issues running L. This shouldn't be that hard to update a new device.

If I had the time, I could literally post links to hundreds of threads on dozens of sites of phones that had problems with lollipop.
I should have chosen my words better, however. I should have said every phone model that has gotten lollipop has had serious issues. Since not everyone uses their phones the same way, some people will have phones that haven't had problems, but for any model phone that has lollipop, there are threads all over the internet about the serious issues that it's caused.
Lollipop is a mes. There's no two ways about it. And Verizon and Moto are 100% right IMHO for not pushing it until its right.
And needing to do a factory reset in order for it to function correctly is a problem. Especially since there are going to be an enormous amount of people who have no idea what a factory reset is, let alone how to do one. It shouldn't be that way. You should just be able to get the update and be on your way, not needing to reset and then completely have to set up your phone again.

Status
Not open for further replies.