Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Finally got lollipop, had to switch to sprint today...bought the s6 edge. Will miss my turbo, but this phone is nice too. Plus it gives me a bunch of new stuff too learn. Best of luck getting the update guys, hope it goes smooth and soon!

Posted via the Android Central App

Good luck with the S6. Hope you really enjoy it. Are you gonna have to change your handle to S6Hope now? :p

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I should have chosen my words better, however. I should have said every phone model that has gotten lollipop has had serious issues.

Still COMPLETELY incorrect. I have no doubt about all the threads regarding problems; nobody's arguing that. But the ridiculous "fact" you re-state immediately above is simply not reality. I myself could easily post 100 threads about having no problems for each of my phones with L.

In the end, we'll get L regardless, so if you don't want it, plan accordingly. I'll probably reluctantly accept it, and you know what? Everything will be fine...not to my liking, but it will be fine...and then I'll probably hope for M (good luck to me on that!). :)

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Still COMPLETELY incorrect. I have no doubt about all the threads regarding problems; nobody's arguing that. But the ridiculous "fact" you re-state immediately above is simply not reality. I myself could easily post 100 threads about having no problems for each of my phones with L.

In the end, we'll get L regardless, so if you don't want it, plan accordingly. I'll probably reluctantly accept it, and you know what? Everything will be fine...not to my liking, but it will be fine...and then I'll probably hope for M (good luck to me on that!). :)

Wait, what? You admit that people are reporting problems, but since there are also people reporting no problems, then there are no problems? How? Why? Where? What??? I don't even know what to do with that.
And i absolutely did not say I don't want L. I have no clue where you got that. I said I want it when its right. Those are two COMPLETELY different things.

perithimus

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I am taking my crap comment off. It was made in bad taste and I apologize. Very unlike me.

Last edited:

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You're comical...

What he is trying to say is that every phone model that has updated to has had issues with Lollipop, not every single phone itself, but some phones of each model have. And while that happens with every version of Android, the percentages are higher in Lollipop. Like I've stated before, the fact that many Nexus devices are having issues updating proves that. There is no reason that my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi should be getting it's updates as late as they are. They used to update a week or two after release, but with Lollipop it's been a month or two every time. They're made to run a completely stock build and my N7 has no carrier to deal with, so there's no excuse for that.

Whatever you think of any OEMS or carriers, Lollipop has been a headache for all of them to get out. Every time an update goes out for any particular model, there is a later story about the issues caused by the update. I'm not talking about a few posts here and there on forums, if the issue makes it into the tech blogs, then it's more than just a few people experiencing it.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
For the record, I have a Galaxy S4T running 5.0.2 and Nexus 6 running 5.1.1 and I have no issues with either device.

I am happy with the upgrade.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
And needing to do a factory reset in order for it to function correctly is a problem. Especially since there are going to be an enormous amount of people who have no idea what a factory reset is, let alone how to do one. It shouldn't be that way. You should just be able to get the update and be on your way, not needing to reset and then completely have to set up your phone again.

Here's where we agree. You should not have to do a factory reset and completely have to set up your phone again. Since I use my Turbo for work, a factory reset and getting all the one time passwords for emails and remote access could take days.

Richardar6

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
OK, so far I've learned that people into phones are just as passionate about their devices as people into cars are passionate about their vehicles. The praises and complaints are so similar - design, performance, updates, etc. I get it now. Took years, but I get it. When we are passionate about something, we tend to defend it passionately. We want everyone to understand the great things we see. The problem is there is always someone just as passionate about something else and they are doing the same thing you are.
With this in mind, take a step back for just a minute. If you like Samsung, good for you. If you like the Turbo, good for you. If you like Lolipop over Kit Kat, or vice versa, good for you. For every object you or I like, there will be someone with either the same or opposite opinion. For every problem I have, there will be someone that doesn't have an issue.

So if I'm looking forward to Lolipop and you think Kit Kat is better because it's more stable, that's fine- but don't bother to tell me why you think I'm wrong, because then we end up going back and forth trying to prove a point that can't be won. Why? Because none of this BS is a contest.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Currently have 4.4.4,can I refuse the update (if it ever comes) since I am happy with what I have?

If it is like every other android os update, you can defer the install for 24 hours, and it will keep notifying you, every day. If you are diligent about deferring you should be able to prevent the update.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
OK, so far I've learned that people into phones are just as passionate about their devices as people into cars are passionate about their vehicles. The praises and complaints are so similar - design, performance, updates, etc. I get it now. Took years, but I get it. When we are passionate about something, we tend to defend it passionately. We want everyone to understand the great things we see. The problem is there is always someone just as passionate about something else and they are doing the same thing you are.
With this in mind, take a step back for just a minute. If you like Samsung, good for you. If you like the Turbo, good for you. If you like Lolipop over Kit Kat, or vice versa, good for you. For every object you or I like, there will be someone with either the same or opposite opinion. For every problem I have, there will be someone that doesn't have an issue.

So if I'm looking forward to Lolipop and you think Kit Kat is better because it's more stable, that's fine- but don't bother to tell me why you think I'm wrong, because then we end up going back and forth trying to prove a point that can't be won. Why? Because none of this BS is a contest.

Many discussions turn in to arguments. Or start that way. Your post is a good thing to keep in mind.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Definitely in agreement. With all the whining and complaining I've done about not getting L, the Turbo is still by far the best device I've had. I guess that's why it bothers me because it will be even more awesome running a new OS!

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I've had quite a few phones over the years (mostly Samsung) and have never had one that operates as smoothly as the turbo. All my other devices were rooted, and my UN rooted turbo booked them out of the water. With the recent awesome camera update, this phone is perfect. I get great shots of my kids, fast performance.

What camera update? Unless I'm wrong 21.44.12 change log shows nothing about camera fixes for the turbo and that's the last SW update pushed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
What camera update? Unless I'm wrong 21.44.12 change log shows nothing about camera fixes for the turbo and that's the last SW update pushed

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
That update wasn't specifically for the turbo. I'm looking for 5.1 to address problems I, and others, are still experiencing on 4.4.4. If fixing AC 1.0 handoffs and WiFi deficiency were as simple as a play store download don't you think Motorola and Verizon would have pointed us in that direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech