Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you assume software upgrades are a major priority at Verizon you might be right. I would bet that their priorities don't align with the priorities of the android enthusiast though. Examples; My sister has a turbo. She doesn't even know what android is and doesn't care. My wife has a note 4 and repeatedly declines the lollipop upgrade (which worked fine on my note 4). Lollipop, like any major update, will be a disruption and possibly an annoyance to these people.

Verizon's priority is not pushing out major software updates at breakneck speeds. If that's your priority then you are on the wrong network AND on the wrong device.

Again thx for your input. You seem to be in the know on Verizon and the state of the US cellular market, is the turbo the only flagship phone that has not received the Lollipop update? I think most devices if not all being sold currently are running Lollipop on my Verizon network. Am I mistaken here? And are you a Verizon employee?

Posted via the Android Central App

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Again thx for your input. You seem to be in the know on Verizon and the state of the US cellular market, is the turbo the only flagship phone that has not received the Lollipop update? I think most devices if not all being sold currently are running Lollipop on my Verizon network. Am I mistaken here? And are you a Verizon employee?

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes you are mistaken. The Sony z3v, the HTC One Remix and the Galaxy Core Prime among others are still on Kit Kat(i figured I'd just list one phone from each class of phone, but there are many others).

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes you are mistaken. The Sony z3v, the HTC One Remix and the Galaxy Core Prime among others are still on Kit Kat(i figured I'd just list one phone from each class of phone, but there are many others).

I wouldn't call any of those phones flagships for those oems.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The counter argument to that is that the Turbo is running generally great on KitKat and the lollipop update is hardly required for it to function well on the network.

I'm still confused why people who don't care about an update to lollipop and are "happy with kitKat" still feel a need to spend a lot of their time on a thread about when (or if) an update is coming out only to make sure they let everyone know over and over again how much they don't care or need the update.

Even more interesting is how they don't understand when your behind two major updates (now that M is almost out) a lot of their apps will eventually start using the newer API's and they will either break or be left behind. Also developers making new apps may not care about including support for older versions of Android. You can't run on kitkat forever.

But you're right it should "function well on the network" as in the ability to call and text but that's not why a lot of us bought the Turbo in the first place.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm still confused why people who don't care about an update to lollipop and are "happy with kitKat" still feel a need to spend a lot of their time on a thread about when (or if) an update is coming out only to make sure they let everyone know over and over again how much they don't care or need the update.

Even more interesting is how they don't understand when your behind two major updates (now that M is almost out) a lot of their apps will eventually start using the newer API's and they will either break or be left behind. Also developers making new apps may not care about including support for older versions of Android. You can't run on kitkat forever.

Sorry but M is nowhere close to being officially out. It's just a letter, not yet a dessert.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but M is nowhere close to being officially out. It's just a letter, not yet a dessert.

You could say the same thing about the lollipop update for the Turbo too, that's the problem.

I made two predictions a while ago in this thread. That if an update was ever to be released for the Turbo this thread would be up to 80 pages and there would already be a successor to the Turbo. That's now sounding too optimistic.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You could say the same thing about the lollipop update for the Turbo too, that's the problem.

I made two predictions a while ago in this thread. That if an update was ever to be released for the Turbo this thread would be up to 80 pages and there would already be a successor to the Turbo. That's now sounding too optimistic.

Android M is clearly a developer preview and nowhere near official for any device while Lollipop is official.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Android M is clearly a developer preview and nowhere near official for any device while Lollipop is official.

Not for the Turbo.

The great thing about constantly delaying an update for a company that promised one is eventually enough customers move on so that a class action becomes less costly.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Not for the Turbo.

The great thing about constantly delaying an update for a company that promised one is eventually enough customers move on so that a class action becomes less costly.

Dear lord, please tell me we're not doing the ridiculous class action talk again.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not for the Turbo.

You wouldn't be able to take a class action lawsuit just because you didn't get an update when they said they wanted it out by -- That isn't how it works.

camachinist

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Viewing the Verizon web site, with the 64GB version being unavailable and marketing relatively muted compared to the other models being offered, my instinct is that my 2 year contract will expire on the current software iteration. I can understand how some may have more interest in the latest software updates; my main concern is the lack of transparency and typical marketing promises not kept, and with a software version that is out and working with other devices, and for some time now. I get that cell phones are different but they're not that different, especially from one manufacturer.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
You wouldn't be able to take a class action lawsuit just because you didn't get an update when they said they wanted it out by -- That isn't how it works.

You're right. But if it never happens which is something that Motorola has already been found guilty of and had to pay for.

And honestly at a certain point it's easier and cheaper for them to go this route.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Viewing the Verizon web site, with the 64GB version being unavailable and marketing relatively muted compared to the other models being offered, my instinct is that my 2 year contract will expire on the current software iteration. I can understand how some may have more interest in the latest software updates; my main concern is the lack of transparency and typical marketing promises not kept, and with a software version that is out and working with other devices, and for some time now. I get that cell phones are different but they're not that different, especially from one manufacturer.

Been pretty transparent to me.

But "we're still working on it" is a good enough update for me.

Historically, dates are rarely given and I understand that. Not sure why that is hard for others to grasp.

Historically, Motorola has updated the DROID line after their own Moto line. I understand that Motorola has two generations of Moto X, G, and E that appear to be ahead of the DROID TURBO. The DROID MINI, DROID ULTRA, and DROID MAXX probably won't get Lollipop until M becomes a dessert.

A variant of the second gen Moto X was one of the first non-Nexus devices to get Lollipop. ..and that was a disaster. Unlike when a variant of the first gen Moto X was one of the first non-Nexus devices to get KitKat.

Motorola was pretty open about bugs and issues with the initial Lollipop update and was clear when they made the decision to halt 5.0 and use 5.1 instead. Lollipop 5.1 was official in March 2015.

I mean, there really are only two routes they go. They finish their work on the update and roll it out or they stop and announce that they can't do Lollipop. Until one of those two things happen, there is no news.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You're right. But if it never happens which is something that Motorola has already been found guilty of and had to pay for.

And honestly at a certain point it's easier and cheaper for them to go this route.

Where's the Atrix HD lawsuit?

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
It looks like they said it from the start ... which helped to get people to buy the device. Android L wasn't being promised to get the Turbo to sell.

Since I'm not a lawyer I couldn't honestly tell you all the ways a viable class action could be brought against a company for something like this. I was just pointing out a very close example when Ry questioned this being possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech