Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I considered the S6, but want to spend the next several months doing more research. It's been quite sometime that I really investigated a new phone, since I would just move to the next in the Droid Series. I have a Samsung Tablet (Galaxy Tab S) which I'm very happy with. In general, I've been satisfied with all of their products.

On problem I've had with the Turbo is the rebooting problem. It comes and goes, were the phone will just reboot on its own, sometimes 3 times a day. Odd.

I'd wait to see what the next Moto X will be - it should be coming in the next few months, based on their past schedule, and will hopefully solve the battery and camera mediocrity from last year's phone, if rumors are true.

I have that reboot issue on my Droid Maxx, though not quite so frequently. It's also on 4.4.4, and I'm suspecting it's something like a memory leak of some sort, either in an app or in android itself (or both.). It's not a full reboot - my phone is encrypted, and it never prompts for the encryption key, so I think it's just android restarting itself after some sort of critical failure.

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I came from the S3 as well. Had the exact same issues which drove me absolutely nuts. I was stressing everyday about a phone - a phone! Upgrading to the Turbo eased my GPS and battery anxiety. My old S3 has been downgraded to a podcast device used while doing yard work.

I was counting the days until I was eligible for a new phone last fall. I also came from a S3 and it effectively has me interested in everything but Samsung for now. The only other phone at the time I was eligible that had me interested was the Sony Z3 compact. That phone didn't make its way to Verizon and Verizon bastardized the Z3 with Z3V.

Now, if my two year contract were up with Verizon right now. I am not sure which phone I would get. This DROID turbo has been fantastic. I have dropped it multiple times and it's build quality is superb. I like the near stock Android.

The LG is tempting but I sure do want to see the reviews for the new Sony Verizon flagship phone that's about to come out.

Posted via the Android Central App

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I thought I was the only one that used old devices for this purpose. Cool.

You are not alone PowrDroid. I have even used my old HTC Droid Incredible (my first smartphone) as a portable sound machine for the baby's room in a pinch. I love reusing old tech for specific purposes.

I also came from a S3 and it effectively has me interested in everything but Samsung for now.
Touchwiz, even the newer "toned-down" version, is garbage. I have enjoyed the close to stock Turbo experience but recently went to using Nova launcher for more customization options.

gemery#CB

Banned
Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I've only had Moto since I came from blackberry. Droid pro(not ready to give up keyboard), Droid bionic, Razr Maxx HD, and now the Turbo. Every other phone I have considered felt cheap and I was afraid wouldn't hold up. Recently checked out the S6 and it felt like a solid build.
I guess I'm eventually going to make some concessions to keep my UDP and I feel a little bitter about how the update has been handled.

I miss my real keyboard... The pro was my first Android as well..

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'd wait to see what the next Moto X will be - it should be coming in the next few months, based on their past schedule, and will hopefully solve the battery and camera mediocrity from last year's phone, if rumors are true.

Do a searcb for "Motorola Kinzie XT1585" (only potential issue is use of the Snapdragon 810)...maybe THAT is our "update"! :(

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Touchwiz, even the newer "toned-down" version, is garbage. I have enjoyed the close to stock Turbo experience but recently went to using Nova launcher for more customization options.

While I mostly agree with you, I do miss some of touchwiz's design choices--- a reboot option in the power menu is a no brainer. The volume controls are also something I miss.

That being said, I don't miss the touchwiz jank at all...

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The engineers at Motorola change their minds more often than my girlfriend... March: 5.1 is coming! May: 5.1 on June 10th. June: No 5.1; straight to Android M. June 29th: 5.1 soak test happening! Same day: Soak test may be happening.

Me: Headache.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The engineers at Motorola change their minds more often than my girlfriend... March: 5.1 is coming! May: 5.1 on June 10th. June: No 5.1; straight to Android M. June 29th: 5.1 soak test happening! Same day: Soak test may be happening.

Frustrating though it may be, I don't think most of those quotes came from Motorola.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Let's be fair now.

The engineers at Motorola change their minds more often than my girlfriend... March: 5.1 is coming!

No, they didn't say that in March. They said that they were dropping plans to develop for 5.0.x and going straight to 5.1. They never even hinted at when that would happen.

May: 5.1 on June 10th.

Moto engineers never said that. It was a Verizon test center engineer, and he said mid-June. The June 10th thing was a separate story by the blog Android Police, saying that it would update without a soak test. They were wrong.

June: No 5.1; straight to Android M.

Nobody at Moto EVER said that. That was a made-up story by some tool.

June 29th: 5.1 soak test happening! Same day: Soak test may be happening.

Motorola never officially announced that, either. They sent out invites, privately, with no official announcement. I suspect that the day or the day after the soak starts there could be an announcement from David Schuster on G+ - he's been pretty communicative about other Moto phones in the last few weeks when they start soak tests, but in the past he's said that he is prohibited from announcing anything about the Droid series without permission, I suspect from Verizon, so we'll see.

Here is what Motorola officially said about the Turbo:

Release day: It will be upgraded to Lollipop, pending partner support
early March: We are skipping Android 5.0.x because 5.1 has built-in support for VoLTE (no sense of timing)
early May: Reiterated the same thing
mid-June: Rumors of a release on June 10 are wrong. It is currently in carrier testing labs. No sense of timing.

That is ALL they ever said.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Frustrating though it may be, I don't think most of those quotes came from Motorola.

Eh, at this point, Motorola is being iffy. It's their soak test if I understand correctly. I know Verizon, Motorola, and Google work in tandem so whomever it is; they're frustrating me.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Let's be fair now.

No, they didn't say that in March. They said that they were dropping plans to develop for 5.0.x and going straight to 5.1. They never even hinted at when that would happen.

Moto engineers never said that. It was a Verizon test center engineer, and he said mid-June. The June 10th thing was a separate story by the blog Android Police, saying that it would update without a soak test. They were wrong.

Nobody at Moto EVER said that. That was a made-up story by some tool.

Motorola never officially announced that, either. They sent out invites, privately, with no official announcement. I suspect that the day or the day after the soak starts there could be an announcement from David Schuster on G+ - he's been pretty communicative about other Moto phones in the last few weeks when they start soak tests, but in the past he's said that he is prohibited from announcing anything about the Droid series without permission, I suspect from Verizon, so we'll see.

Here is what Motorola officially said about the Turbo:

Release day: It will be upgraded to Lollipop, pending partner support
early March: We are skipping Android 5.0.x because 5.1 has built-in support for VoLTE (no sense of timing)
early May: Reiterated the same thing
mid-June: Rumors of a release on June 10 are wrong. It is currently in carrier testing labs. No sense of timing.

That is ALL they ever said.

You're probably right. But these 3rd party sites that used to report accurate news are reporting blindly. Motorola did, I believe, offer soak tests to people registered with their site. That's about all I know. I'm just tired of the rumor mill on overdrive.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I see your signature line: "Pure mathematics is the only truth in our world." You can add my post above to that list. ;)

Over 2000 posts now. Crazy.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Moto never said 5.1 is coming June 10th(in fact they explicitly denied that was accurate)
Moto never said No 5.1; straight to Android M
Anything Moto said about a soak test was said under a confidentiality agreement. Anything that was reported was in violation of that and was definitely not straight from Moto
There's a reason rumors are called rumors and its not wise to put too much stock in them.
I can understand your headache, but please blame the correct people, not Moto.

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. I wonder how many times I'm going to see this picture over the next week on my phone.....

33d0029dba66ee20021c0a6a08fd3120.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane