Severe Speakerphone Echo with Flip case

Tom Furlan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that when I use the speakerphone with the Motorola flip case on the phone, the person on the other end of line reports a severe echo of their voice. Everything sounds fine to me, but its so bad for the other person that they can't continue the conversation. Even a Verizon CSR noticed it when i called about another issue. It is consistently repeatable, and it only happens when the phone is in the flip case with the flip open. Anyone else seeing this, or have any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had people tell me the same thing with the phone baked so I'm not sure its your case.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Mike McKinnon

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with the echo when speakerphone is enabled. The person on the other end of the call says the echo is unbearable. I have no case so I think it's an issue with the phone and hoping it can somehow be solved with a software update.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's physics, guys. The sound from the speaker is being picked up by the mic, because the case is distorting the acoustic path the engineers spent so much time designing. You can't fix an echo in software, since it's being caused by a physical phenomenon. (You can make it stop echoing, but the result would be useless or annoying, depending on which way you did it.)

If it's happening without a case, it's the way you're holding the phone - you're providing a path for the sound to travel from the speaker to the mic via the surface of your hand - or you have the volume way too far up. (If it's happening with a lot of phones of that model, it may just be poor acoustic path design. Designing the case of a cellphone is a lot more than just making it comfortable and pretty.)