08-05-2016 08:18 PM
47 12
tools
    I talked to Verizon last night and they upped my data for the month from 10gb to 15gb for free, and then next month it'll drop back down to 10.
    11-18-2014 01:11 AM
    I've used the phone on the OEM software since receipt and didn't experience the data usage issue. The phone and VZW's tally closely match, though the phone's is a few MB less. However, I did take the new (to me) software update yesterday so will see if that has any effect. When reading part of me wondered whether they had some sort of a glitch in the software and, since most members took the software update as soon as they received their phones, maybe that had some play.
    11-19-2014 11:49 AM
    Since Tuesday night, I show that I have gone from 10.695 to 11.335. Is this sound normal for 4 lines?
    11-19-2014 09:33 PM
    Update: Now phone 4G/data usage and VZW usage are disagreeing substantially, on the order of ~110MB on the phone to ~400MB on VZW. The only change was taking the software update that most members likely took as soon as it hit after the phone came out. During the couple weeks prior, the numbers agreed nearly exactly. VZW has a problem and they pushed it, either purposely or accidentally. In my case, I rarely use the data on the road or away from wi-fi so it won't be a marked issue, for now anyway. For others, perhaps a substantial issue.

Ha, just narrowed the range to the period from my last report and the phone reports only 1.96MB of mobile data usage and VZW is reporting nearly 300MB.
    11-21-2014 11:44 AM
    My Turbo says I've used 3.9GB since it was activated. Verizon however claims my number has used 9.3GB (minus about 500MB from my Maxx before the Turbo). This is not a small discrepancy. This could be considered fraud if Verizon were to ignore the issue, as I'm paying for 2.5 times the data I had before but I'm only able to use half of it without overages!

It sounds like they may have acknowledged the problem; they had better expedite the software update...
    Heath Mcmillan likes this.
    11-25-2014 12:55 AM
    I'm convinced the issue is in the update which was pushed to the phones after they were rolled out. I'll leave it to brighter minds to determine who's responsible for such updates and errors. In the meantime, I simply shut off mobile data when I don't need it when on wifi. Takes ten seconds. Works great. I don't have the room for error that other members might have since I have a 2GB single line plan. I worked that number pretty tightly based on general use and VZW's/Moto's errors weren't figured in.
    Heath Mcmillan likes this.
    11-25-2014 02:23 AM
    I show the exact same data that Verizon does over the last two weeks. Crazy that you guys are having issues.
    11-25-2014 02:30 AM
    I'm under control now with my replacement phone. Mostly I think it's due to changing options i.e. don't use mobile data even if wifi signal is weak and one or more other "sync only over wifi" options. 1st week on replacement phone (which needed no update as received) 21MB mobile data, 1GB wifi as shown on phone, the 21MB aligning with Verizon's tally pretty closely now.
    11-25-2014 09:01 AM
    Yeah I've been having no issues with my phone, hope you all resolve yours

sent turbo fast
    11-25-2014 11:27 AM
    FYI, I just got off the phone with Verizon and they confirmed this (all data being transferred is being recorded as cell data) is an issue and are working on a fix. They have a couple bulletins on it. They said a work around for now is to do the following steps...

1) Turn off Wifi
    2) Put phone into airplane mode
    3) Turn on Wifi
    4) Take phone out of airplane mode

No idea what the above does but it supposedly does "something" and is a temporary work around until they get it fixed. The rep said this only needs to be done once. Hmm?
    11-25-2014 08:14 PM
    FYI, I just got off the phone with Verizon and they confirmed this (all data being transferred is being recorded as cell data) is an issue and are working on a fix. They have a couple bulletins on it. They said a work around for now is to do the following steps...

1) Turn off Wifi
    3) Turn on Wifi

No idea what the above does but it supposedly does "something" and is a temporary work around until they get it fixed. The rep said this only needs to be done once. Hmm?
    Interesting. I'm anxious to find out if the information provided proves out and particularly, if it's occurring for the reason stated, why it's affecting some users but not others. I use so little data it's hard to be definitive (on WiFi almost constantly) but even this tiny amount reports more than double by Verizon's measurement vs. phone. On my prior Maxx, differences were much less.
    11-26-2014 12:20 AM
    Just an FYI...

I set up a task in Tasker to automatically disable Mobile Data when WiFi connects, and to re-enable it when WiFi disconnects. I haven't had much time to test it but it is likely to help. HOWEVER, apparently Verizon Visual Voicemail falls flat on its face if Mobile Data is not enabled, so that is probably a deal-breaker for now.

I will try the workaround recommended by the Verizon rep. Anyone know if reboots would require redoing this sequence?
    Sandr74 likes this.
    11-27-2014 12:38 AM
    Yeah, something isn't right:
    Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo data usage.-verizon-data.jpg
    11-29-2014 02:00 PM
    Yes, apparently I used 25% of my 2GB in over a day (*not* less than 2 hours as I previously stated - still, I have never surpassed my 2 GB limit ever since I dropped (knew I'd rue the day) unlimited data). I don't think so. Hmmm?

11-30-2014 01:14 AM

1) Turn off Wifi
    3) Turn on Wifi

I've tried this and it does appear to be working (for now).

I also called Verizon and was transferred to their tech support. At first they claimed that this is a new issue, but after enough time doing basic troubleshooting, the rep then found other people reporting the same issue (didn't say if they had the same phone or not).

Since my data usage history reflects never using this amount of data in such a small amount of time, combined with what Android shows vs Verizon data tracking, the rep had no reason to think I was making this up. He was cool and upgraded my data plan from 3GB to 10GB for the rest of my billing cycle for free, with it going back to 3GB during the next billing cycle since I don't want to pay an extra $20 a month when my wife and I rarely go over 2GB.

So yeah, anyone having this issue should try the airplane mode toggle listed and give Verizon a call to see if they can work with you to raise your data limit to avoid extra charges.
    Sandr74 likes this.
    11-30-2014 11:09 AM
    Have you turned off the auto play videos in Facebook?
    11-30-2014 11:21 AM
    There is a software update coming down which, for me at least, seems to have solved the problem. Unfortunately, Verizon doesn't mention whether the problem was specifically addressed, but so far it's looking good.
    12-12-2014 11:29 AM
    Anyone notice their turbo using copious amounts of data for no apparent reason? My data reset at midnight and after checking facebook 3 times 2 hours I had already used .201 GB of data. That seems like an awful lot. And I got more data last month and with 2 weeks with thus phone went over for the first time. By a lot. 3gb a lot.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-10-2016 09:56 AM
    No..
    05-10-2016 09:57 AM
    Thanks for helpful info....I'll try it!!
    05-10-2016 10:00 AM
    I'm getting same kind of messages...hmm...
    05-10-2016 10:03 AM
    Anyone notice their turbo using copious amounts of data for no apparent reason? My data reset at midnight and after checking facebook 3 times 2 hours I had already used .201 GB of data. That seems like an awful lot. And I got more data last month and with 2 weeks with thus phone went over for the first time. By a lot. 3gb a lot.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Mine is about 20GB over
    08-05-2016 08:18 PM
47 12