Just got my turbo today. Was on the fence between this or the Nexus 6 (can't stand touchwiz anymore). While an unlocked device was tempting, Droid Turbo's form factor and better reported battery life were the deciding factors.

Thoughts so far--- after a year and a half on touchwiz near stock is very refreshing. There are a hand full of things I miss (flashlight widget, app drawer folders, ect), but nothing a few downloads and Nova Launcher can't fix.

The camera seems about on par with the S4. There is a slight delay taking pictures (only time this thing doesn't fly actually), but the quality seems about the same.

Battery life compared to the S4 is sublime. Too early to give concrete stats, but I'm still over 70 % with over 3 hours screen on time. Heavy use; playing with the new features, installing updating apps, activating accounts, chasing my dog around to test the camera.

I actually wasn't too impressed with this phones design. I got the ballistic nylon version, and while I don't particularly think it's an attractive device--- it feels incredible in hand. Tactilely this phone feels awesome.

Besides the standard Verizon bloat, my biggest complaint is the screen. Not that there's anything wrong or bad about it--- it's just that Verizon sells this thing claiming Super Ultra HD with 5 million by 4 million resolution and 9000 DPI (*slight exaggeration*). I just don't see it. It's a marginal upgrade from my S4, not really a revelation.

Anyway, those are just my initial impressions. Thanks for reading.

Posted via the Android Central App
    BlueBlazer60 likes this.
    11-17-2014 08:05 PM
    In the same boat as you. Did you switch to ART?

11-17-2014 08:31 PM
    In the same boat as you. Did you switch to ART?

I don't know much about it. I just googled it, and while I know what dalvik is, I'm kind of clueless about what activating ART does currently. Any insight?

11-17-2014 10:07 PM
    This is the greatest thing to see after almost 2 years on the S4. An empty notification pane.

Attached Thumbnails From a beat up S4 to the Droid Turbo-230.jpg  
    cyberr8der likes this.
    11-17-2014 10:39 PM
    It's how android handles multi tasking. ART will be the standard on Android 5.0. I've noticed it is smoother and snappier than dalvik

11-20-2014 05:09 PM
    I've been reading up on it. Any problem apps so far? My only concern is that some apps may not work with ART.

11-20-2014 05:29 PM
    What is ART

SENT BY MOTOROLA DROID TURBO
    11-20-2014 08:07 PM
    If you're feeling geeky and still have your s4, take some dbm readings on wifi side by side and see how yours fairs. I've been going back and forth with some moto engineers with mine, the turbo wifi reception is weak compared to my s4. My example is anyway.

Other than missing duh-stuff like a rotation toggle in the pull down from TW, I'm with you.
    11-20-2014 09:01 PM
    If you're feeling geeky and still have your s4, take some dbm readings on wifi side by side and see how yours fairs. I've been going back and forth with some moto engineers with mine, the turbo wifi reception is weak compared to my s4. My example is anyway.

Other than missing duh-stuff like a rotation toggle in the pull down from TW, I'm with you.
    I did a reading of my S4 right before I activated my turbo. 1x was 84 4g was 105. Turbo reads 1x - 84 4g -115. The S4 does seem to have a marginally better 4g antenna. I work out in the middle of nowhere, and know of a handful of spots where my S4 would magically pop up 4g from nothing. If work allows post my findings tomorrow.

11-20-2014 10:34 PM
    I haven't been able to check cell/4G, lot of testing wifi though.
    11-20-2014 11:24 PM
    After a few days at work I can say that the data radio on my turbo is slightly weaker than my S4.

Strange enough, the cellular radio seems to be slightly better.

Sorry I'm unable to give exact readings, but I've only got one line.

That being said, I'm curious if the VOLTE update may improve the data radio strength.

As for WiFi, I did some measurements around my home and found the S4 was usually marginally better within the home, and kept a signal farther than the Turbo. The turbo lost signal just outside my front door, while the S4 managed to cling to the WiFi another 10 feet, almost to the street.

This doesn't bother me much, since I have unlimited data and perfect 4g at home. But if you're a WiFi hugger this may cause you issues.

11-22-2014 08:30 PM
    Matches what I've found. Everyone I've talked to with enough experience and ability to compare the two has found the same. I have a great short vid of the S4 and DT side by side running wifi diag software showing graphically the S4 picking up neighbors wifi AP's that the DT does not even see, and of course the lower reception on the DT. It shows everythings MAC addy so I haven't posted it but I did send it to the support guys.
    I wondered about the VoLTE update too but haven't had much complaint about LTE/CDMA reception, I live in a well covered area I guess.
    I'm actually fairly content with it's signal strength, but I work from home and don't spend a lot of time in
    fringe areas other than my way back yard on wifi. Might get a stronger router.
    11-22-2014 09:44 PM