02-11-2018 05:04 PM
92 1234
tools
    I started having this problem recently too. I have only noticed it over the past week or so. I have had the phone since around Thanksgiving and I have always used the Moto driving and sleeping options so I didn't think it was that unless they recently updated the Moto app and I didn't notice that. The only other major change I have made is I now have a 360 that is paired with my phone. Has anyone had this issue that also has a 360? Don't know if that's doing anything odd.
    04-13-2015 10:08 PM
    Mine is paired with my truck radio. The volume issue only occurs when it connects via Bluetooth. I also use an app called Agent that mutes the phone when connected to Bluetooth. Since it never happens without connecting to BT, I think it it Agent that doesn't turn BOTH volumes back up when I disconnect (only the ringtone returns, not the notifications)
    04-15-2015 09:55 AM
    (only the ringtone returns, not the notifications)
    Yes, this is probably right, because standard KiKat behavior is to have those two linked, so Motorola veered from the standard there. There may be a setting buried in Agent to reset both volumes, though - I've used other, similar apps with the same issue and I know I have seen that setting before.
    04-15-2015 12:34 PM
    Ahhhh! People...you are not alone. It's a bug I think associated with lollipop. I'm 100% sure a bug. I need my music to go steady for my workouts. I'm driven crazy everyday by my phone fighting with itself on volume. I have it wayyyyy worse than yall described. I have note 4 on att also. Whenever I plug in my headphines..the "Media" volume will pop up randomly on its own and cut itself down. I can show u videos. I went as far as to install a volume lock app as a work around. Guess what..it works **** now I see the phone fight with the app..Hahaha I need to do a vid. U will see phone cutting music down while app tries to Muscle it back to locked setting amount. This drives me SOOOOOOO crazy. I was ready to snap and bust the phone as I hear the volume going up and down constantly. I thought it was my Urban Armor gear case. But nope. Took it off and issue still remains. I thought it was certain songs only at first or maybe headphones...but now I realize it's a true bug that needs to be fixed asap. I'm huge on working out and I need the music to zone out. So picture me ready to crush phone in hands because it's throwing me off on my zoning out....Hahaha. so much so I'm considering switching to that big iPhone like my note. But I don't know if they let u install the music to phone from Google. Not trying to stream constantly. Have a 64gb Samsung high speed card in the Note 4. Plus it came with 32gb internal. Alot is my music. I need this volume working right. Now I see why I'm missing calls and stuff also. The other things noticed are correcr. I'm experiencing them all and what I described.

I'm on Note 4 latest att lollipop update. I hate this lollipop bull. Lol smh I told my dad this update won't ish...lol now I'm dealing with all these new bugs. Just give me my kit kat bar back. I like the chocolatw..haha. please help! Sorry for any typos or whatever. Writing this like I'm texting.
    05-05-2015 12:58 AM
    For Droid Turbo Users
    Mine did it all the time to. I would get so irritated because I was missing calls. It is in your Assist settings. Even if you've never messed with them. Go into moto, assist and settings.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-10-2015 01:44 PM
    For Droid Turbo Users
    I had the problem as well when I first got mine. I found it was due to my settings. Try going into your settings, Moto, assist then to driving uncheck silence, then sleep do the same then meeting do the same. After you uncheck those you shouldn't have the problem anymore. This phone uses GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and calendar to determine what you are doing and will do things for you like silence your phone according to the time at night when most sleep or if you have a date and time on your calendar it will silence your phone for your meeting. I think it's really cool but if you are not aware of this stuff or can frustrate you.

05-10-2015 01:51 PM
    Not just a Motorola issue. I think it's Lollipop (and predecessors). My S4 has been plagued with this phantom interfering with my ringtone volume (the only one affected for me) for two years. The only app I use regularly is Google All-Music, but I haven't been able to definitively pin it there.
    05-10-2015 06:29 PM
    Same issue on my LG. It happens when I am using for white noise to sleep at night. Suddenly it goes silent and the volume is down to 10%. Lack of a constant noise will wake you the same as a sudden loud noise so this really sucks. This just started after update to lollipop. To add insult to injury I can no longer enter my pin in a dark room since the update. Screen keeps timing out. So I have turn on the light to unlock and fix the volume. Not like I am falling back to sleep after all that. Please fix these bugs Android!
    05-20-2015 02:00 PM
    I have had this problem too! My Galaxy S5 Active will turn the volume down by itself. Does anyone have an idea on what is causing this?
    05-25-2015 08:50 PM
    My husband and I both have Galaxy S4's. The ringtone volume started turning itself down within hours of both phones upgrading to lollipop. I just talked to Samsung tech support. She said it is a known problem but had no solutions except seeing if a factory reset would help. She also said Samsung was coming out with an upgrade within a month to address all the lollipop bugs. We'll see...
    06-06-2015 12:33 AM
    The phone itself is NOT changing volume. Our phones aren't full robots, yet...you must have some application or setting in your phone. What comes to mind are profiles based on location and time and Motorola apps may have profiling also
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-06-2015 08:51 AM
    It was caused by 5.0 . My friends S4 is doing the same thing . Sammy should be coming out with an update.
    06-06-2015 03:48 PM
    we dont have lollipop yet so hat cant be the issue here
    KPMcClave likes this.
    06-06-2015 03:53 PM
    Not sure if this would help with diagnosis, but I use my speakers mostly for Netflix/YouTube. Whenever the video flips to match the orientation of the phone the volume will resume to its expected level, if only briefly. After a few seconds it will decrease again

07-04-2015 06:03 PM
    My theory: it's a design flaw in the way that volume + track control work through the headphone jack.

My S5 came with a set of headphones that have an integrated control for volume + track control, and I do not seem to have any issues with volume adjusting itself when I use those headphones. BUT, if I have my phone connected through my car audio AUX in or I use third-party headphones, I do experience this problem. My guess is that the controls in the Samsung headphones issue commands to the phone via an extra ground connection in the jack.

The theory is that when using headphones / an AUX line that does not have built-in controls, the phone is misinterpreting small variations in voltage as commands to adjust volume. If you think about it, the variations would be caused by the phone's own power-saving, peaks in the audio for the track being played, etc.

So, basically, my theory is that: 1) it only happens with headphones that do not have integrated controls, 2) that the phone is too sensitive to control signals via the grounding pin on the headphone jack, and 3) small variations in voltage via the grounding pin are being interpreted by the phone as "volume down" commands.
    Ashishkel likes this.
    07-20-2015 10:46 AM
    I have a Samsung Mega and am also seeing this problem with ringtone volume turning itself down. I have a basic phone setup with no peripheral usage - as simple as you can get - I don't even play music on the phone. I even installed the "persist" app whose sole responsibility is making sure that volume settings that you want locked down can't be changed, and it happens anyway.
    07-22-2015 11:51 AM
    I used to have this problem with my Turbo. I could watch the volume go down when I turned the screen on. The volume rocker was stuck apparently. Since the sim card is located behind the volume rocker makes it removable. Reach under the volume rocker and pull out the tray then slide it back in and make sure it's secure.
    07-22-2015 08:25 PM
    I have gone thru the same issue while running. At first I thought I was accidentally pressing the volume key. Pull out my phone and turned it up but immediately when down by itself. had to reset my phone couple of times and yesterday went thru the same issue. This time I set the phone on a treadmill so no keys were pushed. It is driving me crazy... has anybody found a solution?
    08-17-2015 11:19 AM
    I am having the same issue. I also found the power button doesn't respond promptly now and will go into a safe mood by itself when it does reboot. I have had the same pair of headphones (w/ a mic) and this phone for almost a year now and it just started today. Pretty frustrating. I'm using the HTC one m9 with the 5.1 droid version
    08-27-2015 05:57 PM
    The answer to the problem lies in PLAY dot GOOGLE dot COM forward slash STORE forward slash APPS. The app is called PERSIST by Netroken - Free.
    Dave Cameron likes this.
    08-31-2015 11:53 AM
    My note 3 keeps shutting the volume completely off. I have already had one replaced and the replacement does the same thing. I don't even have to be talking on it and it does it. They would not replace the second one. I would not buy samsung again.
    11-09-2015 11:19 AM
    2 phones have done exactly the same and att will not fix it. It can just be laying on the arm of the couch and do the same thing.
    11-09-2015 11:38 AM
    I'm on a Galaxy Note 5 that I just got about a month ago. This also occurred on my Galaxy S4. I love the galaxy as a phone, but this volume control issue is the most irritating thing I've ever experienced.

Like another poster mentioned, I work out using music on my phone and there's nothing more irritating than being right in the middle of a great song that I'm running to at full speed and then having the volume go up and down and up and down. I just wanna throw the phone. What's WORSE than that though, is as I'm riding my motorcycle to and from work, and I'm having to take my hand off my handle bar to mess with the VOLUME SETTINGS! Can we say DANGEROUS?!? They need to fix this crap. For a long time I thought it was the earplugs I was using which, could still be the issue (my brother says he gets this same problem with his S5, but has since ordered headphones that DO NOT have the microphone and it doesn't happen to him anymore since then).

Regardless, I've just downloaded the PERSIST volume control app via playstore, which allows you to lock your volume, as a temp fix. I will be testing this out on my ride to work tomorrow. Hoping it works. I'll post back if it does.
    11-09-2015 09:04 PM
    I too have downloaded Persist but that app, for me, is not the complete answer. I believe that the problem exists with 5.1 on the Turbo. I have tried all the tricks but have not had success. The only thing that works is a reboot. I await 6.0.
    11-10-2015 10:40 PM
    I'm having the same problem. 2 week old Galaxy S6 edge plus and the phone keeps going to vibrate. I keep missing important calls! I don't have any fancy apps. Bluetooth is turned off. No headphones connected. Power save is not on. I have checked for any other possible settings that could cause this and can find nothing! It's driving me crazy! I will turn the volume back up, look 2 seconds later and it's back on vibrate!
    Is it lollipop glitch? I upgraded from a Note 3 on 5.0 and used all the sound features and never had this problem.
    11-16-2015 02:55 PM
92 1234