Volume turning itself down?

donmc1

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Mega and am also seeing this problem with ringtone volume turning itself down. I have a basic phone setup with no peripheral usage - as simple as you can get - I don't even play music on the phone. I even installed the "persist" app whose sole responsibility is making sure that volume settings that you want locked down can't be changed, and it happens anyway.

shansheezy

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I used to have this problem with my Turbo. I could watch the volume go down when I turned the screen on. The volume rocker was stuck apparently. Since the sim card is located behind the volume rocker makes it removable. Reach under the volume rocker and pull out the tray then slide it back in and make sure it's secure. ;)

Paula Restrepo

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
I have gone thru the same issue while running. At first I thought I was accidentally pressing the volume key. Pull out my phone and turned it up but immediately when down by itself. had to reset my phone couple of times and yesterday went thru the same issue. This time I set the phone on a treadmill so no keys were pushed. It is driving me crazy... has anybody found a solution?

elduderino619

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same issue. I also found the power button doesn't respond promptly now and will go into a safe mood by itself when it does reboot. I have had the same pair of headphones (w/ a mic) and this phone for almost a year now and it just started today. Pretty frustrating. I'm using the HTC one m9 with the 5.1 droid version

Sadiegirl317

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
My note 3 keeps shutting the volume completely off. I have already had one replaced and the replacement does the same thing. I don't even have to be talking on it and it does it. They would not replace the second one. I would not buy samsung again.

Dave Cameron

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm on a Galaxy Note 5 that I just got about a month ago. This also occurred on my Galaxy S4. I love the galaxy as a phone, but this volume control issue is the most irritating thing I've ever experienced.

Like another poster mentioned, I work out using music on my phone and there's nothing more irritating than being right in the middle of a great song that I'm running to at full speed and then having the volume go up and down and up and down. I just wanna throw the phone. What's WORSE than that though, is as I'm riding my motorcycle to and from work, and I'm having to take my hand off my handle bar to mess with the VOLUME SETTINGS! Can we say DANGEROUS?!? They need to fix this crap. For a long time I thought it was the earplugs I was using which, could still be the issue (my brother says he gets this same problem with his S5, but has since ordered headphones that DO NOT have the microphone and it doesn't happen to him anymore since then).

Regardless, I've just downloaded the PERSIST volume control app via playstore, which allows you to lock your volume, as a temp fix. I will be testing this out on my ride to work tomorrow. Hoping it works. I'll post back if it does.

frankemtp

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I too have downloaded Persist but that app, for me, is not the complete answer. I believe that the problem exists with 5.1 on the Turbo. I have tried all the tricks but have not had success. The only thing that works is a reboot. I await 6.0.

Stephl67

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. 2 week old Galaxy S6 edge plus and the phone keeps going to vibrate. I keep missing important calls! I don't have any fancy apps. Bluetooth is turned off. No headphones connected. Power save is not on. I have checked for any other possible settings that could cause this and can find nothing! It's driving me crazy! I will turn the volume back up, look 2 seconds later and it's back on vibrate!
Is it lollipop glitch? I upgraded from a Note 3 on 5.0 and used all the sound features and never had this problem.

Grace Keys

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Ahhhh! People...you are not alone. It's a bug I think associated with lollipop. I'm 100% sure a bug. I need my music to go steady for my workouts. I'm driven crazy everyday by my phone fighting with itself on volume. I have it wayyyyy worse than yall described. I have note 4 on att also. Whenever I plug in my headphines..the "Media" volume will pop up randomly on its own and cut itself down. I can show u videos. I went as far as to install a volume lock app as a work around. Guess what..it works **** now I see the phone fight with the app..Hahaha I need to do a vid. U will see phone cutting music down while app tries to Muscle it back to locked setting amount. This drives me SOOOOOOO crazy. I was ready to snap and bust the phone as I hear the volume going up and down constantly. I thought it was my Urban Armor gear case. But nope. Took it off and issue still remains. I thought it was certain songs only at first or maybe headphones...but now I realize it's a true bug that needs to be fixed asap. I'm huge on working out and I need the music to zone out. So picture me ready to crush phone in hands because it's throwing me off on my zoning out....Hahaha. so much so I'm considering switching to that big iPhone like my note. But I don't know if they let u install the music to phone from Google. Not trying to stream constantly. Have a 64gb Samsung high speed card in the Note 4. Plus it came with 32gb internal. Alot is my music. I need this volume working right. Now I see why I'm missing calls and stuff also. The other things noticed are correcr. I'm experiencing them all and what I described.

I'm on Note 4 latest att lollipop update. I hate this lollipop bull. Lol smh I told my dad this update won't ish...lol now I'm dealing with all these new bugs. Just give me my kit kat bar back. I like the chocolatw..haha. please help! Sorry for any typos or whatever. Writing this like I'm texting.

YES!! Me too!! I use my phone to listen to music for my work outs and it totally bums me out when my phone starts doing this! It's SO frustrating! It seems to only do it when my headphones are in. Do you have a solution???

Last edited by a moderator:

dunstbin

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
It's your headphones. Had the same problem with my girlfriend's Nexus 5X and couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Had her use my Nexus 6 for a bit and all of the sudden it had the same problem. Switched to a different set of earbuds and the problem went away.

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I know motorola , even with the droid razr maxx, liked to automatically regulate volume control. I don't notice it playing thru speaker, but thru wired connection (unknown with bluetooth) it will turn down to ~70% for protect your hearing. I try not to listen to it that loud. Ideally you want to listen to headphones no more than 30 minutes on/off type thing I think.

RickLashes

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Someone suggested that the problem was being caused by the headphone jack thinking that the headphones are telling it to lower / raise the volume and even skip tracks, etc. This turns out to be the case. Which is why many of us have the issue while working out more than anything else. It turns out you can disable that "feature" with an app which will prevent the headphones from being able to control the volume and track selection. If you need these controls then this app is not for you, but otherwise, here is your fix:

I cant post links so just search play for wizdroid

I am in no way associated with this app. And btw its completely free.

Kari Holmer

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
My theory: it's a design flaw in the way that volume + track control work through the headphone jack.

My S5 came with a set of headphones that have an integrated control for volume + track control, and I do not seem to have any issues with volume adjusting itself when I use those headphones. BUT, if I have my phone connected through my car audio AUX in or I use third-party headphones, I do experience this problem. My guess is that the controls in the Samsung headphones issue commands to the phone via an extra ground connection in the jack.

The theory is that when using headphones / an AUX line that does not have built-in controls, the phone is misinterpreting small variations in voltage as commands to adjust volume. If you think about it, the variations would be caused by the phone's own power-saving, peaks in the audio for the track being played, etc.

So, basically, my theory is that: 1) it only happens with headphones that do not have integrated controls, 2) that the phone is too sensitive to control signals via the grounding pin on the headphone jack, and 3) small variations in voltage via the grounding pin are being interpreted by the phone as "volume down" commands.

I've had a new galaxy s6 for 2 months now. I noticed I began having volume issues after. I plugged in headphones with no controls. I even witnesses and fought with the volume controls while they were plugged in. Moreover the volume problem persists for some time after I remove the headphones.

THIS IS DEFINITELY THE PROBLEM I experience.

Thanks for your great post.

Shea shea

May 24, 2016
Visit site
This is the problem I'm having as well. I also want a consistent volume while working out. Its the most annoying thing. You should have posted the name of your volume locking app.

Shea shea

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Someone suggested that the problem was being caused by the headphone jack thinking that the headphones are telling it to lower / raise the volume and even skip tracks, etc. This turns out to be the case. Which is why many of us have the issue while working out more than anything else. It turns out you can disable that "feature" with an app which will prevent the headphones from being able to control the volume and track selection. If you need these controls then this app is not for you, but otherwise, here is your fix:

I cant post links so just search play for wizdroid

I am in no way associated with this app. And btw its completely free.

Thannnnnkkk Youuuuu!!