Volume turning itself down?

LaKia Thompson

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
After last post my phones volume decreased after turning off dr. mode however after much brain storming i entered settings language and input then turn off google voice texting lets see if deselecting the box is a fix 4 this issue if so i will b bk with a tumbs up??????

Last edited:

LaKia Thompson

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok people i have found my silent volume issue i hope this hlps all or some of u i did a soft reset on my phone meaning i pressed the power and both up/down volume buttons till the hardware screen page popped up and selected the off option. So i a nut shell propably after updating ur apps any one app has turned on/off ur hardware settings. Just look 2 see if ur hardware is on if so turn it off if its off turn it on thx 👍👍

Paul Fearn 9464

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same issue and did a little research and I think the answer is too many apps running in the background and to preserve memory, android shut the volume down.

Jay White2

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
HI guys very simple fix to this problem if your volume goes down with earphones connected.

.settings- type in APPS
.recommended apps- turn it OFF

This worked for me on samsung galaxy s5

Solara22

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
It happen to me all the time. I am constantly checking to make sure the volume is up....I have the Samsung 6. i am sure I am not causing this to happen. Driving me crazy......

Terrygardner51

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
I was having the same problem with my Moto G 4 Play when I was listening to music with my headphones plugged in. The volume would go up and down and fight me when I tried to turn it back up. Turned out that my headphones were causing the problem. Evidently there was a short in the 3.5 mm plug that was causing the problem. Purchased some new inexpensive headphones and the problem stopped.

Chris Boucher1

Dec 15, 2017
Visit site
My theory: it's a design flaw in the way that volume + track control work through the headphone jack.

My S5 came with a set of headphones that have an integrated control for volume + track control, and I do not seem to have any issues with volume adjusting itself when I use those headphones. BUT, if I have my phone connected through my car audio AUX in or I use third-party headphones, I do experience this problem. My guess is that the controls in the Samsung headphones issue commands to the phone via an extra ground connection in the jack.

The theory is that when using headphones / an AUX line that does not have built-in controls, the phone is misinterpreting small variations in voltage as commands to adjust volume. If you think about it, the variations would be caused by the phone's own power-saving, peaks in the audio for the track being played, etc.

So, basically, my theory is that: 1) it only happens with headphones that do not have integrated controls, 2) that the phone is too sensitive to control signals via the grounding pin on the headphone jack, and 3) small variations in voltage via the grounding pin are being interpreted by the phone as "volume down" commands.

Yup, fully agree with you. I know this is years ago now but I am currently using an S6 after I broke my iPhone. Apple headphones work just fine as they are, I assume, nearly identical in OEM design from Samsung. How eye hen I attach superior headphones with volume control on the wire leading to the left ear I instantly get volume jumping up and down. It's so irritating. I have no idea what to do about it. 😠😠😡

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue.

It just went away with the following...

I use a Smart Volume Control+ widget and BK Plugin.

I went into BK Plugin and toggled Smart Volume Control+.

The widget then got reset and stopped working. So, I removed it and my volume controls worked, again.

I replaced the widget and the volume still works.

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue.

It just went away with the following...

I use a Smart Volume Control+ widget and BK Plugin.

I went into BK Plugin and toggled Smart Volume Control+.

The widget then got reset and stopped working. So, I removed it and my volume controls worked, again.

I replaced the widget and the volume still works.
Ugh, now it stopped.

RolandStone

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
First of all eveyone - this bug is not limited to any one make or model of phone. Its driving me mad on my Nexus 6p running Oreo 8.1.0 but its also been reported on Pixel, Pixel 2, Pixel XL and also on Samsung and LG phones. And its not just an Oreo issue, it goes way back to Gingerbread if you search. And its not just headphones, I get it on Bluetooth and others have reported it on the internal speaker. And its not just Spotify, it also happens on Google Play Music.

Volume Lock apps don't prevent it, they just struggle to restore the volume after a momentary (and very annoying drop.) Restoring the volume manually can also be a struggle as the phone literally fights to keep the "Media Volume" low.

I think the bug is related to the same bug being reported where ringtones inexplicably go silent, causing missed calls. (I have that bug too.)

Google says they're working on it.. But this bug has been around for YEARS and it seems to be getting worse!

anon(10493999)

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site
Exasperated by same issue. Earbuds that came with phone don't seem to be prone to this issue, but any third-party earbuds do. If you've still got the original ones, they seem to work. I'm glad for the other suggestions here, or I'd still be stuck.

jjgm

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
Hi all, I was looking at this thread 3 days ago when I encountered the same problem of the volume going all the way down inexplicably and getting stuck on DND. I am using SONY earphones and, as above posters, the problem only seemed to be happening when they were plugged in.

I have solved the problem on my own phone (MOTO G5) by wiping the cache partition from the boot menu. Everything is working normally now and I've listened to about 12hr of music on Spotify since, so I'm really not sure if it was ever a earphone issue in the first place or some sort of weird bug in the system.

Anyway, I advise you try that, as it worked for me. Thought I'd just come back and say this in case it's useful to anyone else.

La Uren

May 4, 2019
Visit site
I had the same problem, possibly the worst integrated audio malfunctions: undesired outgoing calls, apps opening, YouTube videos skipping, pausing, playing etc.... over sensitivity to the headphone jack using an LG Aristo on Android 7.0. It's not any of our phones, fancy or not, it's the software. Go to play store and install Button Mapper. Step two: go to Headset Button. Step three: set all headset button commands to "do nothing". This way even though your phone is sensing a button is pressed, it will do nothing about it. Now jog in peace.

GFire60

Oct 1, 2019
Visit site
I've been lurking here for a couple days now with similar volume going down to silent problems. I have a Moto G7, and this problem occurs while listening to my Pandora app via headphones through the phone jack . Initially it happened after about 10 minutes of listening, the volume goes down to silent. I thought it was a Pandora issue and their trouble-shooting guide suggested A) clear the saved data B) turn off any phone battery power saver apps. A) didn't help, B) helped my phone last longer, about 20 minutes before the problem recurs.

I tried a few of the suggestions on this thread without success and was considering one the volume control apps. But while looking through my phone apps in my phone's Settings app, I found Settings>Apps & notifications>see all apps>Digital Wellbeing. This came from the Google Playstore and TBH I have no idea how it got on my phone or if/when I gave permission. It has no widget, but has various controls for screen time, DND, app timers among many others. I disabled it and was able to listen to Pandora for 45+ minutes without issue. My next thought was to uninstall it, but in the "more" section of the App info, my only choice was to Unistall updates. Clicking on that opened a window with "Replace this app with the factory version?" It seems to me this App came pre-installed on the phone and was updated to the current configuration.

I plan to monitor this on my phone over the next several days, but I am hopeful that the pre-installed app Digital Wellbeing is the cause of the problem and disabling it is the cure.

WeDeserveHealth

Jul 18, 2018
Visit site
This is a note to anyone who is having problems with their volume jacking up to 100% without you doing a thing.

This happened to me for over a year & only when my headset was plugged in (Note 3). I recently realized what it was because I changed from the Call Recorder App to Boldbeast & it's not doing it anymore.

HTH

robfrumtha213

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
my volume would fluctuate and that google assistant would come on randomly only while wired earbuds plugged in on zte axon......now i have samsung n8 and same thing only volume goes down never up...............if it's google spying on then i have to say, "yall some .....

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
my volume would fluctuate and that google assistant would come on randomly only while wired earbuds plugged in on zte axon......now i have samsung n8 and same thing only volume goes down never up..............if it's google spying on then i have to say, "yall some.....
Hi, welcome !

Which phone you have?

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dawsonnathalie