Signal strength from S5 to Turbo

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I have the S5 and Turbo. For those that have made the switch from the S5 to the Turbo, how do you find the signal reception to be? I can get two bars on the Turbo of 4G LTE while the S5 will be full across. I have switched from Global to the LTE/CDMA but that didn't make a difference.

I'm wondering if I have a dud. I can make calls and hear okay but wanted to see if this is the "norm".

TIA for input.

ctenc001

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Check settings>more...>Mobile networks> Network type and strength.
The bars are pretty misleading and inaccurate on some phones.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
The displayed bars on the ui tend to be lower on my turbo then the S4. However the signal strength seems to be marginally better. For example, at home my S4 always shows 4 bars. My turbo almost always only shows three. But my 1x is around 84 and 4g is around 115. While my S4 1 x is around 84 and 4g is around 105.

Those bars lie to you. There was a controversy years ago when the Galaxy Nexus was launched. It showed a more accurate signal strength on the bars, and despite the fact that the true signal strength was higher or equal to other phones, because the UI didn't look as good compared to other phones Verizon patched the bars to act like other phones.

So I never trust those bars as being anything more than a estimate. If you want to know how good your really signal is, always check the in settings.

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The displayed bars on the ui tend to be lower on my turbo then the S4. However the signal strength seems to be marginally better. For example, at home my S4 always shows 4 bars. My turbo almost always only shows three. But my 1x is around 84 and 4g is around 115. While my S4 1 x is around 84 and 4g is around 105.

Well, -105 is better than -115. The bigger the number (so, the smaller the negative), the better the signal.

If I remember right, LTE signal is usually about 23 dBm less than an equivalent CDMA signal, so -84 dBm is about the same as -107 dBm for LTE.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, -105 is better than -115. The bigger the number (so, the smaller the negative), the better the signal.

If I remember right, LTE signal is usually about 23 dBm less than an equivalent CDMA signal, so -84 dBm is about the same as -107 dBm for LTE.

Learn something new everyday. :) So I suppose the S4 IS marginally better. I spend a lot of time in the middle of nowhere for work, but I know a bunch of spots where my S4 would get magical signal in the wastes. I'll update if the Turbo fails to get decent coverage in the wilds. But it is sad that it seems like the S4 and S5 have slightly better radios.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I sold my S5 but the Turbo is generally better by 5-7 dBm for me. Its no surprise that Motorola wins.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Odd. I live in the DMV area so signal has never posed any issue

Is 2 bars normal for your area? I would replace it if not

Could be the SIM card??

The SIM card is new - it came with the device. 2 bars is what I get with the Turbo, but had a full rack with the S5.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The SIM card is new - it came with the device. 2 bars is what I get with the Turbo, but had a full rack with the S5.

As others have said, you can't compare two phones based on bars, because there is no standard for how many bars equals a specific signal. Look at the actual signal strength. If you have a 1x signal better than -90, then you have decent signal, and you should be able to make calls to as bad as -100 without dropping the call or breakups in the call. Again, subtract about 20 for LTE data (i.e., look for better than -120 or so - at -120 you'll probably be having issues.)

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, you can't compare two phones based on bars, because there is no standard for how many bars equals a specific signal. Look at the actual signal strength. If you have a 1x signal better than -90, then you have decent signal, and you should be able to make calls to as bad as -100 without dropping the call or breakups in the call. Again, subtract about 20 for LTE data (i.e., look for better than -120 or so - at -120 you'll probably be having issues.)

I'm also concerned with "cell standby" chewing up battery. I relate this to a poor signal as I never saw this in the apps using battery. If it was there on the S5, it was at the bottom and definitely was this much. Mine shows 18% of battery consumed. If you have better signal than me, is yours typically this high?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan