Turbo Review and comparison to Moto X (2nd Gen.)

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I have spent over a week with this phone and I have some very mixed feelings about this phone.

Design
Honestly the design of this phone may be its biggest flaw. It is very boring and well Droid looking. When I had a Droid RAZR Maxx a couple years ago I liked the Droid design because other phones really weren't designed that well either. Now in the day and age of aluminum and design your own phones this is not really what we might call a looker. The lack of onscreen buttons really effect the look of this phone. It gives the phone a much larger chin then say the Moto X. The power and volume buttons feel very cheap and are hard to push in. The Kevlar back is very plain looking, but also gives off the rugged droid look a lot of people love

Battery
By far the biggest strength of this phone. It blows any phone I have ever had out of the water with this battery life. On average I get almost 5 and half hours of screen on time and it easily lasts me the whole day. It more than doubles the Moto X 2nd Gen in the battery department and is by far the best part about this phone.

Performance
The performance on this phone is excellent. I never saw a difference between this and the Moto X 2nd generation despite the Turbo using the Snapdragon 805. Each runs nearly stock android perfectly so I don't see really a winner in this category.

Camera
I had a high expectation for the 21 megapixel camera in the Turbo, but just like all other Motorola phones I am left disappointed. This phones shows you can put all the megapixels you want in a phone but it doesn't make it a good camera. The X and Turbo take nearly identical pictures in similar environments. The camera is definitely not the monumental upgrade that I was hoping it to be.

Bottom Line
The Turbo is an amazing phone with an amazing battery life. It has only two areas of weakness in Camera and Design. Some people may love the design and I wouldn't blame them for it. I much prefer the design of the Moto X 2nd Gen. I am still not sure which phone I'll keep but it will come down to which I care more about design or battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
There is a pic in the Verge review where the screens are lined up. Sure we have some chin, but the Moto X has extra forehead. Why doesn't anyone ever complain about that? :p

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Very true. But I feel like its the way the Turbo is designed that allows you to notice it more. The X does it so casually most people have no idea they are different sizes

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
While I agree that the design of the Kevlar/MGF isn't the sexiest, the ballistic nylon IMHO is one of the best looking phones out there. No Verizon branding and the Droid 64GB emblem looks great.

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Moto X reminds me of a SG or iPhone. Never really liked that design.

I like the turbo design on the front and back. I'm not loving the capacitive buttons, but it's not a huge drawback.

Though, the phone I like the look of the most right now is the z3v. Even with the awkward power button, I love the way it looks.

On an unrelated note, why did you give up on the g3?

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
While I agree that the design of the Kevlar/MGF isn't the sexiest, the ballistic nylon IMHO is one of the best looking phones out there. No Verizon branding and the Droid 64GB emblem looks great.

I'm pretty sure it's the only other device besides the iPhone that doesn't possess carrier branding. Its one sexy device

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
See I'm the opposite. I think the moto x is ugly and has a ugly design. I like the on screen buttons but the buttons on the turbo don't bother me. I also think in terms of looks the Turbo has the best looks especially the BN model. I Mich prefer the looks of this to the moto x the note 4 and the iPhone 6. It looks slick and its not that common as the others.

Everyone has their own opinion. I do agree the camera isn't the best. If your taking a completely still shot it is fantastic. If the subject moves then good luck.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty