why oh why oh why

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have no problems with this camera. It takes great pictures. The Galaxy Nexus had a camera with "zero shutter lag" and you could snap pics as far as you could tap the screen. But they looked like @$$. I'll take "a tad slow" and beautiful over "super fast but unpresentable" any day.

And one the best cameras on a phone for the longest time, the Lumia 1020, took quite awhile before it was done snapping as I recall.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I thought the camera was fast enough. How fast does it need to be? We've become so impatient with technology. I remember when my dedicated digital camera about six years ago took about 3 seconds to focus and shoot and that was considered pretty good.

Posted via the Android Central App

That was 3 years ago. If you are trying to capture some form of motion, like a kid for instance it can be problematic. The G3 seems almost instantaneous. And, although this camera is better, when I took a picture in a not well lit theater with my Maxx and my mom's Note 3 I was amazed at how nice the Note pic was and how horrible the Maxx was in comparison. It does seem slightly faster after the update. Or maybe I'm imagining it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I thought the camera was fast enough. How fast does it need to be? We've become so impatient with technology. I remember when my dedicated digital camera about six years ago took about 3 seconds to focus and shoot and that was considered pretty good.

It should be as fast as every other phone being sold now.

I'm sure that Moto is working on a fix, probably coming with the lollipop update.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It should be as fast as every other phone being sold now.

I'm sure that Moto is working on a fix, probably coming with the lollipop update.
They shouldn't have to make a fix. It should take at least as good of pictures as phone that came out a year or two ago like the g2, the Note and the iPhone and it should have done this from the beginning

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
If the problem is slow shutter speed make sure you have HDR turned off, in order to compensate for uneven lighting and shadows it slows the shutter down, also HDR should NOT be used if your subject is moving or likely to move, makes for blurry pictures.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
If the problem is slow shutter speed make sure you have HDR turned off, in order to compensate for uneven lighting and shadows it slows the shutter down, also HDR should NOT be used if your subject is moving or likely to move, makes for blurry pictures.
That doesn't come close to fixing the shutter lag on the turbo.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I thought we bought a phone that has a camera not a camera that has the ability to communicate.
I can see the comments now.
"I can't you believe how slow this camera is at connecting my calls" or
"my call clarify was better with my old camera "
People are happy when they find something to complain about.
On the positive side, how is your phone at communication?

JMHO

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I thought we bought a phone that has a camera not a camera that has the ability to communicate.
I can see the comments now.
"I can't you believe how slow this camera is at connecting my calls" or
"my call clarify was better with my old camera "
People are happy when they find something to complain about.
On the positive side, how is your phone at communication?

JMHO

Well, as long as you ask... I can't hear people that well in the earpiece because its not loud enough. So it could do communication better.

But anyway, these days its more that we have a multifunction device that happens to have one of its functions being a phone. At some point we are going to stop calling them phones because actually talking on them is becoming a progressively smaller % of what the device is actually used for. I have a 450min calling plan that I never go over. If my phone has average screen on time of 2-3h/day that's 3600-5400 minutes of device usage compared to less than 450min of 'phone' usage. See my point?

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I find it strange when others get upset with people who feel this camera isn't very good, which it is not good. Taking a picture of anything with even the slighest bit of movement is almost impossible, usually needing to snap 6 shots and hoping one is OK.

The argument that....its a phone so be happy it even has a crappy camera is weak. If cameras were not an important part of the package, why would ever single cell phone (more or less) being released have a camera? Yes, sorry, but having a "working" camera really isn't good enough, and no, people wanting a nicely functioning one aren't spoiled or asking for too much.

This camera sucks. It sucks that I can't even get an average picture of my dog slowly walking across a room because of shutter lag. For the few who feel this is silly complaining, I compare it to saying....this phone has apps. They all suck and dont function properly, and I can't make them work right. But its a phone so I should keep my mouth shut because im glad to even have these apps.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, as long as you ask... I can't hear people that well in the earpiece because its not loud enough. So it could do communication better.

But anyway, these days its more that we have a multifunction device that happens to have one of its functions being a phone. At some point we are going to stop calling them phones because actually talking on them is becoming a progressively smaller % of what the device is actually used for. I have a 450min calling plan that I never go over. If my phone has average screen on time of 2-3h/day that's 3600-5400 minutes of device usage compared to less than 450min of 'phone' usage. See my point?

I do see your point and please don't misunderstand me. Can and maybe should the phone have a better camara? Sure. Lets put the very best of everything into one device.Best reception, best screen, best battery, best camara, best GPS, best fuctions. the challenge is to keep a product at a competitive cost manufactures compromise. That is why there are so many choices. Find a device that has the "best" of what realy matters to you and buy it.
Just to clarify, I don't own a Turbo because it does not have what I need in a phone. I tried it in the store, I read the opinions of people that had it, and decided to keep the device I already had because it did better at what was important to me.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Some people want both. And they can get it on other devices right now. And *should* be able to get it on the turbo. Motorola knew that the X and all of their past Droids had weak photography and it's head-scratching that they don't figure out how to fix it.

It would be like selling a car with air conditioning that only cools the car by a few degrees. Any car maker with that problem might still sell cars, but they'd be losing a lot of sales to people who want better.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think one thing many are overlooking is that from the looks of things, this is a software issue. This is supposed to be a Sony sensor, and possibly the same one used in the Z3 from what people are saying. Before this they were stuck with it being a hardware issue, when they used Omnivision for their camera sensors. So maybe we see if they can work it out before cometely writing it off. And if some of you are one the fence or in the 14 day windows to return it, then return it and either go with something else or go back to your old device and wait for a resolution.

tbgjlb

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Perfection can be expensive, but from what I've seen this"phone" seems to have most/all of the top tech screen, snapdragon etc etc. Which to most seems perfectly usable apart from a camera that any movement spoils the picture which is a shame. So many people with families will find this a deal breaker ( myself included ). I'd rather a lesser phone and better camera, or Motorola to fix this issue then my choice would be so much easier.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Some of those top end features seem like they are there just for the point of being high end without the end user really being able to see the rewards. The 2 big ones that come to mind are the camera and screen. What's the point of a 21mp camera? You don't need that size pic on a phone because no one is going to blow them up and print them (especially from the camera on this phone). 10mp would have been way plenty, especially with an iPhone quality camera. But 21mp certainly sounds impressive. It was the same way with MP wars with DSLRs over the last bunch of years.

The second is the screen. Can anyone really see the difference with the QHD display? I compared it to the 720p screen on my Maxx and really can't tell the difference. 1080p would have been way plenty. But again, QHD wins the screen resolution wars. Give me 1080 and better battery life.

Both of these specs probably help sell phones to the masses though.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The second is the screen. Can anyone really see the difference with the QHD display? I compared it to the 720p screen on my Maxx and really can't tell the difference. 1080p would have been way plenty. But again, QHD wins the screen resolution wars. Give me 1080 and better battery life.
I agree. I compared my Turbo on full brightness next to an S5 yesterday. Both devices started playing the same movie from netflix at the same time. I couldnt tell a difference at all. They could have gone 1080 and it would not have made a difference at all.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
While I mostly agree, you'd be better off starting out with a large image and shrinking/compressing it, rather than enlarging a smaller one or even leaving it the same. At least that's what I've seen when downloading ultra HD pics. Reducing the size to just fill the screen has much more definition than even one that takes an image the same size as the screen, as least in my experience.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I agree. But instead of giving us a camera that gives good (well, mediocre) picture quality by shrinking it why not just give us a great quality shooter that can just leave the pictures as is? The iPhone6 comes to mind. 8mp, OIS, etc. Great camera. 8mp is plenty fine for a cell phone camera.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
people are saying that it's a lot to ask one phone to do everything great and that I understand, but it's disappointing that this camera is so average (or below) in comparison to everything else