tango0641#AC

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm back to the android world after being with the iPhone 4&5 for quite some time. What is rooting your phone and is it safe, bad?

Thanks
Scott

SENT BY MOTOROLA DROID TURBO

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Android uses a Linux base to run. In Linux, there is a thing called "root". The root user has the ability to do whatever they want to the system.

When you "root" an android device, you give yourself the ability to modify whatever you want on the system. This allows you to install roms, use certain application features, etc.

It is not necessarily bad. If you were to root your device and then just continue to use it how you already do, nothing bad would happen. However, if you gave yourself root permissions and then went into the system files and started deleting things, then yeah you would definitely have an issue and brick your phone.

Hope this was helpful!

Turbo Shot

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
It's basically a way to further customize the android system. Simple example is change the status bar icons/colors. Change quick toggles. Allow tethering for unlimited data users

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh I'm sorry, speed up the phone

SENT BY MOTOROLA DROID TURBO

The way rooting works is that on stock, you are locked out of the "root" file directory; ie where the system processes are.

If this was an old school file directory, it'd be like saying you could only access

C:\files\

You can access anything that follows from that files directory, but you can't get to the "prime" C:\ directory

But once you achieve root you can now access

C:\

And you now can access all file directories that stem from it. All that Verizon bloatware? It resides in the root directory- that's why you can't remove it without root.

That's all root allows you to do.

That being said, there are many programs that take advantage of having access to the root directory. There is a degree of danger involved; but some programs allow free WiFi tethering, processor over clocking, ad blocking.

Currently there isn't a viable root method for the turbo, but if you want to tinker when it does happen (it will) I suggest reading up on the subject. Also XDA is a great resource, and when root is found it probably will hit those forums first.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaydenWhitfield